Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11th March 2012, 06:31 PM
Andrew Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Python 2.7.2??

Hi, im new to linux, fedora, and programming, and i started a first year programming course that uses python 2.7.2 with pygraphics and a bunch of other stuff and i need to install it all on fedora 16. I then realized that python 2.7.2 is already installed by typing in python but I'm just not sure if i should just install everything from the python website, like it says in my course website, or are all these packages already on fedora 16 and all i have to do is just find it and install it. Also, when I'm given 3 file type options for an application to install (gzipped tar, bzipped, and xz source tar ball), which one do i use on fedora 16?? it would be great if someone could help me with these questions!! sorry for being such a noob!!

Also, here is the info on required software from my course website:

Required Software

The following packages are used in this course. If you wish to install the software on your own computer, install at least the first three packages (Python, Wing (or an IDE of your choice), and PyGraphics). PyGraphics requires several packages that you should also install; its wiki page will tell you which ones you need for your system. If you run into problems, post your questions and any error messages on the course discussion board. However, the course staff (instructor, TAs, and system administrators) will not be able to sit down and help you install the software: we are responsible for the Linux Lab, and you are responsible for your own computer.

Python 2.7: h://www.python.org/download/releases/2.7.2/
The programming language for this course. Please do not install Python 3: we are using 2.7 because major libraries like the PIL (image support), Django and Pyramid (web frameworks), and RPy (statistical support) have not yet been updated. (Note: Install the 32-bit version, not the 64/32 or 64-bit versions. PIL, which is required for PyGraphics, does not work well with 64-bit Python.)
Wing 101: http://wingware.com/downloads/wingide-101
The IDE (integrated development environment) used in lecture. An IDE lets you edit Python source code files, run your code, and debug it in one window. You may wish to use a different IDE -- IDLE, PyCharm, Wing Pro, NetBeans, or Eclipse -- but Wing provides everything we need in CSC108.
PyGraphics: ht//packages.python.org/PyGraphics/install.html
The media module used in lecture.
If you are in statistics, you will need "R for Python". This install is optional otherwise.
R: p://probability.ca/cran/
R is a language used by statisticians to manipulate large datasets.
RPy: ht://rpy.sourceforge.net/rpy2_download.h
A Python interface into R, so you can call R's statistical operations from within Python.

Tags
python