Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 6th March 2012, 10:54 AM
OneOfFed Offline

linuxfirefox
ATI after-installation problem

I installed AMD driver using steps in this site http://gofedora.com/how-to-install-a...ers-fedora-11/ and the file name's amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run . The result was:
1. The screen became like this (in the attachment) even after unistalling the driver.
2. The resolution became very high. I can change it after logging in but I can't change it before it.
3. I feel the screen's not well even after unistalling the driver. It looks unstable.
I've Fedora 16 and ATI Radeon HD 5400.
How to fix the problem and to install the driver correctly?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ssssss.png
Views:	216
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	22809  
Old 7th March 2012, 04:15 AM
JamesNZ Offline

linuxchrome
Re: ATI after-installation problem

I'd say the first thing you need to do is get rid of catalyst and reinstall it from the rpmfusion repos (much safer that way). So to do that once you've got rpmfusion set up (you'll need the nonfree repo, instructions for that on the website), run these in the terminal:
Code:
init 3                            #Changes the session type to text, type init 5 to return to the GUI
yum erase *catalyst*              #This uninstalls the proprietary drivers
yum reinstall mesa-libGL          #This repairs the opensource drivers that came with fedora
So once you've done that, reboot and run this:
Code:
yum install akmod-catalyst kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-devel xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs
That will install the proprietary drivers. HTH

- Jesus
Old 7th March 2012, 11:17 AM
OneOfFed Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi, I got the sollowing errors from the first command:
Code:
No Match for argument: *catalyst*
No Packages marked for removal
(Because I unistalled it before)
I got something like this from the second command: "Couldn't retrieve host" ... "Couldn't verify..." (I couldn't copy them because I used init 3)
Old 8th March 2012, 12:41 PM
pjfg

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfFed View Post
Hi, I got the sollowing errors from the first command:
Code:
No Match for argument: *catalyst*
No Packages marked for removal
(Because I unistalled it before)
I got something like this from the second command: "Couldn't retrieve host" ... "Couldn't verify..." (I couldn't copy them because I used init 3)
Do you have the rpmfusion repo's enabled?
Old 8th March 2012, 06:12 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

Because you use Fedora 16, it makes sense to use Catalyst 12.2 instead. This new version fixes a serious issue with xv video output. It will probably take a few more days until this driver is in the rpmfusion repo. Or maybe this driver will not be added to rpmfusion, because Catalyst 12.3 should be released in 2 or max 3 weeks.

Before you install the Catalyst driver install kernel-devel and kernel-headers first. If you have a PAE kernel you should install kernel-PAE-devel. I think the packages gcc, gcc-c++, maybe automake, binutils, fontconfig and maybe more should be installed as well. Afterwards check the install log and run "aticonfig --initial".

And if you have files at /usr/share/ati make sure that you uninstall this first (there should be a uninstall script in this folder). Afterwards install the Catalyst 12.2 driver (or use the default Radeon driver if it is less trouble for you).

I'm not sure if the current kernel version is supported though. Here describes a F16 user that he has problems with kernel 3.2.9-2 and this driver, but kernel 3.2.9-1 should be supported.

Last edited by Fenrin; 8th March 2012 at 08:58 PM.
Old 9th March 2012, 10:34 PM
OneOfFed Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Do you have the rpmfusion repo's enabled?
I installed it.
Quote:
Before you install the Catalyst driver install kernel-devel and kernel-headers first. If you have a PAE kernel you should install kernel-PAE-devel. I think the packages gcc, gcc-c++, maybe automake, binutils, fontconfig and maybe more should be installed as well...
I installed it.
I couldn't reinstall mesa-libGL when I'm in init 3 as I 'll get errors like, "Couldn't retrieve host" but I succeded to reinstall it in init 5 so maybe Fedora stops connecting to the internet in init 3?? I restarted the computer but everything is still incorrect.

Last edited by OneOfFed; 9th March 2012 at 10:41 PM.
Old 12th March 2012, 11:32 AM
OneOfFed Offline

linuxfirefox

If I install the driver now, will everything be fixed?
Old 12th March 2012, 12:48 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

the xv video output driver bug - which appeared in Fedora 16 - is fixed in Catalyst 12.2. But if you hardly play any advanced games, it makes sense to use the default driver Radeon instead.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:12 PM
OneOfFed Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
the xv video output driver bug - which appeared in Fedora 16 - is fixed in Catalyst 12.2. But if you hardly play any advanced games, it makes sense to use the default driver Radeon instead.
I want to install the best driver. Now how to fix the screen problem?
Old 15th March 2012, 06:01 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera

so your screen problem is only that you have to change your resolution after every startup right?

If you didn't uninstall your Catalyst driver properly, you have a xorg.conf file. You can use this file to configure the screen resolution. Before you change anything it is maybe a good idea to create a backup of the file:
Code:
su
cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak
Otherwise, if you don't use AMD's Catalyst driver you can create a xorg.conf file with following command
Code:
Xorg -configure
But this command works only, if you don't have the xorg-server running. So use this command in linux console mode. If you add 3 to the boot line it will boot into console mode.

below Section "Monitor" you can add:
Code:
Option "PreferredMode" "1280x960"
(1280x960 is a example for the resolution, just use a resolution which is best for you monitor)

and below Section "Screen" -> Subsection "Display" add Modes "1280x960", so that the SubSection "Display" looks like this:
Code:
	SubSection "Display"
		Viewport   0 0
		Depth     24
		Modes "1280x960"
	EndSubSection
If there is any error in the file, xorg-server cannot start correctly. If you can't find the error in the file you can use your backup file or remove /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Old 18th March 2012, 11:40 AM
OneOfFed Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrin View Post
so your screen problem is only that you have to change your resolution after every startup right?
Not only this, the screen is corrupted and it's not like when I installed Fedora 16. On the first time, I saw an alarm like, "Gnome crashed." (Look at the picture in the first post).
Old 19th March 2012, 12:28 AM
OneOfFed Offline

linuxfirefox

How to fix Gnome? How to gurantee it won't fail after installing the driver again? Is Catalyst 12.2 the driver from ATI website? Should I fix the screen after or before installing the driver?
Old 25th March 2012, 09:29 AM
OneOfFed Offline

linuxfirefox

I found how to fix it on Fedora installed on a virtual box but how to fix in Fedora installed in the computer as an OS which I can choose from the grub??
Old 30th March 2012, 11:56 PM
OneOfFed Offline

linuxfirefox

What's the way?
Old 6th April 2012, 11:10 PM
OneOfFed Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I reinstalled Fedora. I updated it. I installed packages in this order:
Quote:
yum install akmod-catalyst kmod-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-devel xorg-x11-drv-catalyst-libs
After that, the system crashed and I became unable to acces it.

Tags
afterinstallation, ati, problem