Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 17th November 2011, 10:41 PM
Althernai Offline

linuxfirefox
Help with Gnome version of Fedora 16

I am trying out the "default" (Gnome 3) version of Fedora 16 and I need some help. I've been using Gnome for 6 or 7 years now, but this is a very different version. My main problem is switching between applications. In Gnome 2, it was possible to do this in a single click by selecting the application on the taskbar. In Gnome 3, it seems I need to get to the application selection screen first by either clicking on Activities in the top left corner or pressing the Windows key. After that, I select the application which may or may not have changed its position depending on the applications I have opened after it.

The reason I ask is that when I'm working, I usually have at least 4 applications open (the terminal, Firefox, Thunderbird and Emacs) and 0-4 more depending on what I am working on. I switch between these applications literally hundreds of times per day so doubling the number of buttons that need to be pressed for a transition is a big deal to me. Is there some way to get the applications to line up in the taskbar-like space after Activities? The current application (i.e. Firefox) is there, but others I open replace it rather than joining it. Right-clicking it does nothing. Is there another way to edit it?

An unrelated question: is there some way to power off the machine without logging out first? The user name on the top right only gives me the options to Suspend and Log Out; only after the latter do I get a power symbol which lets me shut down.
Old 18th November 2011, 03:50 AM
kurtdriver Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Help with Gnome version of Fedora 16

Have a read through this, a bit of a read, but there's a wealth of stuff in that thread. In short, you can change almost anything.

Gnome 3 doesn't seem to want people to use their mice, but rather the keyboard. I say go them one step further and stick to runlevel 3. With jed, alpine, mplayer, links, iwconfig, budgie, and transmission what you're all set.

Oh yeah, powering off will be in that menu, if you, either install the correct extension, or click on your username while holding down a certain key, sorry I don't recall which, play around and you'll find it, I'm on F14 right now. On F14 or F15, I just open a terminal and type halt. Seems easier than clicking several times.

P.S. The key to hold down seems to be alt.

Last edited by kurtdriver; 18th November 2011 at 03:26 PM.
Old 18th November 2011, 04:27 AM
simplon Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Yes, holding down Alt when in the menu will show the Power Off option..
Old 12th March 2012, 03:20 PM
LinuxNerd Offline

windows_vistaie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Althernai View Post
I am trying out the "default" (Gnome 3) version of Fedora 16 and I need some help. I've been using Gnome for 6 or 7 years now, but this is a very different version. My main problem is switching between applications. In Gnome 2, it was possible to do this in a single click by selecting the application on the taskbar. In Gnome 3, it seems I need to get to the application selection screen first by either clicking on Activities in the top left corner or pressing the Windows key. After that, I select the application which may or may not have changed its position depending on the applications I have opened after it.

The reason I ask is that when I'm working, I usually have at least 4 applications open (the terminal, Firefox, Thunderbird and Emacs) and 0-4 more depending on what I am working on. I switch between these applications literally hundreds of times per day so doubling the number of buttons that need to be pressed for a transition is a big deal to me. Is there some way to get the applications to line up in the taskbar-like space after Activities? The current application (i.e. Firefox) is there, but others I open replace it rather than joining it. Right-clicking it does nothing. Is there another way to edit it?

An unrelated question: is there some way to power off the machine without logging out first? The user name on the top right only gives me the options to Suspend and Log Out; only after the latter do I get a power symbol which lets me shut down.
On the GNOME 3 subject, there is still hope if you're a hardcore GNOME 2 fan: Fallback Mode.
Old 12th March 2012, 04:18 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxNerd View Post
On the GNOME 3 subject, there is still hope if you're a hardcore GNOME 2 fan: Fallback Mode.
Actually, there is something better! Did you take a look at MATE desktop? Or cinnamon?
Old 12th March 2012, 07:52 PM
kurtdriver Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinuxNerd View Post
Each thing the OP asked for can be fixed from within gnome3 by extensions and programs, etc.

Last edited by kurtdriver; 12th March 2012 at 07:55 PM.
Old 12th March 2012, 10:10 PM
LinuxNerd Offline

windows_vistafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Actually, there is something better! Did you take a look at MATE desktop? Or cinnamon?
There's also Xfce.

Tags
fedora, gnome, version