Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 16th March 2012, 10:42 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox
Today's grub update

Anyone updated their system today? There was a grub update included in the mix.
PHP Code:
[glenn@phenom17 ~>$ grub2-install --version
grub2
-install (GRUB2.00~beta2 
PHP Code:
[root@phenom17 glenn>$ yum history info 26 grep grub
    Updated     grub2
-1:1.99-14.fc17.x86_64                                      @koji-override-0/$releasever
    Updated     grubby
-8.8-3.fc17.x86_64                                         @koji-override-0/$releasever
   1 warning
: /etc/grub.d/10_linux saved as /etc/grub.d/10_linux.rpmsave 
I encountered an issue right away. Because I multi-boot and had removed a kernel from another installed system I wanted to update my menu to remove same. When I ran grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg it failed with an error related to /etc/grub.d/10_linux.rpmsave. I paniced for about 5 seconds, pulled myself together, moved that file elsewhere and ran grub2-mkconfig again. This time it was successful. I don't know where the file belongs but it apparently doesn't belong in /etc/grub.d.

One other surprise was new entries in my boot menu. In the past grub just listed the installed OS's that it found. This morning there are new entries. Here's a small sample of my boot menu.

Code:
Fedora Linux
Advanced options for Fedora Linux
Windows 7 (loader) (/dev/sda1)
Linux Mint 12 Lisa (12)
Advanced options for Linux Mint 12 Lisa (12)
etc
etc
etc
The menu selections now scroll of the bottom of the menu.

None of this is an issue for me. I'm posting basically just for comparison to what others see.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 16th March 2012, 10:52 AM
tox

windows_7firefox
Re: Today's grub update

where did the Grub2.00 Beta2 come from? i dont see it in Koji
Old 16th March 2012, 11:07 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tox View Post
where did the Grub2.00 Beta2 come from? i dont see it in Koji
The grub gods

Seriously? All I did was check updates and then install updates. What's my code say, koji-override-0 ??

Beats me. I'm not that into it to know the difference.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 16th March 2012, 11:46 AM
tox

windows_7firefox

ok this explains it
Quote:
* Wed Mar 14 2012 Peter Jones <pjones AT redhat.com> - 1.99-18 - Rebase from 1.99 to 2.00~beta2
Old 16th March 2012, 05:20 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner

linuxfirefox

The file 10_linux.rpmsave does belong in /etc/grub.d/.
It was created because you had done a manual edit of the /etc/grub.d/10_linux file, and then had an update of the grub2 package.
The 10_linux.rpmsave file is your "edited" file, and the now new 10_linux file was the "new" file installed by the grub2 update.

Now here is the thing. Both 10_linux and 10_linux.rpmsave are executable, and so both of them will be executed when you do the grub2-mkconfig command string. To prevent both from being executed, you either need to delete one or the other or move one or the other out of that directory, or, easier, unset the execute bits on the one you don't want to be executed.

I go through this bit with 30_os-prober as I have an edit to that one to prevent my ancient W2K install from showing up in the grub2 menu.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 16th March 2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old 16th March 2012, 05:48 PM
vallimar Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

I would make (and keep) a backup of any working grub.cfg file you have before generating
a new one with mkconfig or updating your kernel. It's a good bit different, and the first time
I decided to try swapping in a new kernel, grubby didn't handle it quite so properly.

Also, I tried to enable the default theme they include and regenerate -- not good.
And as usual, the grub2-efi stuff is still rather wonky and needing much massaging.
Whoever is packaging that is clearly not testing the efi bits at all.
Old 16th March 2012, 06:57 PM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

Code:
$  grub2-install --version
grub2-install (GRUB) 1.99
That's after today's updates.
Old 16th March 2012, 07:54 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

yours didn't get updated, then.

I just updated mine a few minutes ago and here it is:

Code:
[root@tower20 ~]# grub2-install --version
grub2-install (GRUB) 2.00~beta2
Old 17th March 2012, 02:57 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

it's probably worth reporting the problem with the .rpmsave files. we may be able to suppress generation of them somehow. thanks.

vemdog: the update is in updates-testing at present. you might not get it if you have that repo disabled.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 17th March 2012, 02:58 AM
AdamW Offline
Fedora QA Community Monkey

linuxfirefox

vallimar: yes, we don't really test the grub2-efi stuff, we just throw it in a package. the developer doesn't have the time at present to look at stablizing grub2-efi and switching to it. f17 will ship with grub-legacy still as the supported bootloader for EFI installs.
http://www.happyassassin.net
Old 17th March 2012, 04:11 AM
VernDog Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamW View Post
it's probably worth reporting the problem with the .rpmsave files. we may be able to suppress generation of them somehow. thanks.

vemdog: the update is in updates-testing at present. you might not get it if you have that repo disabled.
Thanks. I don't have that enabled.
Old 17th March 2012, 03:39 PM
Palooka Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
it's probably worth reporting the problem with the .rpmsave files. we may be able to suppress generation of them somehow
Perhaps one option is to keep the file but chmod 644 so that it does not get executed (like the README file in the same directory).

Just a thought.
Old 17th March 2012, 04:00 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

I agree with Palooka.

If the rpmsave file is created, it is usually due to there being manual changes to the one that exists. (same thing with the rpmnew files, too)

You really don't want to be arbitrarily tossing out modifications made by the system admins.
Old 18th March 2012, 12:59 AM
Palooka Offline

linuxfirefox

One other thing: I noticed that after a
Code:
grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
, I was seeing three 'File not found' GRUB errors right at the start of the boot (though the selected kernel still booted).

They went away after I did a
Code:
grub2-install /dev/sda

Now to find out what those annoying 'Advanced options' entries are, and how to turn them off without editing grub.cfg directly.

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
Now to find out what those annoying 'Advanced options' entries are, and how to turn them off without editing grub.cfg directly.
Ah, I see it now. The 'Advanced options' are needed when, for example, there is more than one kernel installed. I'll leave it as it is, then (after setting the default to rc6 of course).
Old 18th March 2012, 04:14 PM
vallimar Offline

windows_xp_2003chrome

Quote:
vallimar: yes, we don't really test the grub2-efi stuff, we just throw it in a package. the developer doesn't have the time at present to look at stablizing grub2-efi and switching to it. f17 will ship with grub-legacy still as the supported bootloader for EFI installs.
I figured as much. I mentioned it more as a warning for others that might see the new packages that they shouldn't touch them unless they are brave and have a modicum of experience. Once you get things shuffled into place though, I've had no problems.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:10 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palooka View Post
Ah, I see it now. The 'Advanced options' are needed when, for example, there is more than one kernel installed. I'll leave it as it is, then (after setting the default to rc6 of course).
I still prefer the flat layout myself. Unfortunately, I don't see an option to suppress the 'Advanced' layout. Oh well, I mostly maintain the grub.cfg files by hand outside of grubby kernel updates anyhow.

Tags
grub, today, update