Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Reviews, Rants & Things That Make You Scream The place for you to submit reviews of all those applications you use with Fedora. The Devs probably aren't listening, but some times you've just GOT to blow off steam or sing its praises.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 20th March 2012, 02:07 AM
dasnk Offline

windows_7chrome
Thumbs down Fedora 16 install requires network.

Installing from the DVD iso. Not the Live Image, Not a netowrk install.

The installer requires a working internet connection.

And it tells me about this requirement AFTER it has finished writing partition changes to the disk. This potentially leaves the user with a dead computer if for any reason they cannot configure their network.

Tip: Let the user test the network configuration BEFORE you trash their hard drive. Or atleast mention this requirement. There is no sensible reason for the user to expect this requirement in advance. A person using the the full DVD install like this, might well be doing so because they have no network, or a problematic device.

There are other problems I had with this distro after installing, But to be honest I had lost any sympathy after the installer pulled that on me. I think it is a betrayal of trust. The user is taking a risk and there is no forewarning of it, some will not be lucky.