Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 30th January 2012, 06:56 AM
robertdaleweir Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 418
linuxfirefox
Sound garbled just after booting

Hi
I have an issue which only occurs for about 20 or so seconds after a reboot (F16 Kernel 3.2.1 Gnome 3.2.1). VLC or skype or whatever are garbled, like there are two sources running, after a reboot. It always clears up but is very annoying. It is reproducible and seems to straighten out after an app (which uses sound,vlc,skype,etc) is running for awhile.
Can anyone suggest a way of finding what is going on? Dmesg shows no errors or warnings. Thanks...
__________________
Robert :)
Kernel 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 GNOME 3.4.2
CPU AMD 955 Quad Core
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 31st January 2012, 08:08 PM
robertdaleweir Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 418
linuxfirefox
Re: Sound garbled just after booting

Updated to Kernel to 3.2.2 and initial sound is still garbled. Has anyone experienced this problem?
__________________
Robert :)
Kernel 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 GNOME 3.4.2
CPU AMD 955 Quad Core
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:57 AM
robertdaleweir Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 418
linuxfirefox
Re: Sound garbled just after booting

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdaleweir View Post
Updated to Kernel to 3.2.2 and initial sound is still garbled. Has anyone experienced this problem?
Hi again
I have installed a 32 bit F16 and this problem persists. I am running Kernel 3.2.7-1-f16.i686.pae and Gnome 3.2.1. I am still experiencing the garbled sound when first starting VLC after a reboot, as mentioned before.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
__________________
Robert :)
Kernel 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 GNOME 3.4.2
CPU AMD 955 Quad Core
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 2nd March 2012, 06:06 AM
COKEDUDE Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 351
linuxfirefox
Re: Sound garbled just after booting

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdaleweir View Post
Hi again
I have installed a 32 bit F16 and this problem persists. I am running Kernel 3.2.7-1-f16.i686.pae and Gnome 3.2.1. I am still experiencing the garbled sound when first starting VLC after a reboot, as mentioned before.
Has anyone experienced this problem?
Add something to your .bashrc to kill the pulseaudio process then restart it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:38 PM
robertdaleweir Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 418
linuxfirefox
Re: Sound garbled just after booting

Quote:
Originally Posted by COKEDUDE View Post
Add something to your .bashrc to kill the pulseaudio process then restart it.
Hi
OK. I like your suggestion. I am not sure that I know the syntax for this action. I checked using 'systemctl -a' and did not see it, so I guess it is not run as a service. Maybe someone can help with the specifics. Thanks...
__________________
Robert :)
Kernel 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 GNOME 3.4.2
CPU AMD 955 Quad Core
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2nd March 2012, 04:53 PM
stevea Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ohio, USA
Posts: 8,548
linuxfirefox
Re: Sound garbled just after booting

Also - try a powerdown ,between reboot. I had a weird problem back on 3.1.x that made sound fail till I power-cycled. Reboot w/o powerdown did not clear the problem.
__________________
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2nd March 2012, 05:26 PM
PabloTwo Online
"Registered User" T-Shirt Winner
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Seville, FL
Posts: 5,852
linuxfirefox
Re: Sound garbled just after booting

You can use the pulseaudio --kill and pulseaudio --start to stop and start the pulseaudio daemon. See if running those two commands, one after the other, straightens out the garbled audio situation.
It used to be that doing "pulseaudio -k|--kill" would kill pulseaudio but it would immediately re-spawn itself. I just tried that on my F16 and it didn't re-spawn.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I should add a caution on killing the pulseaudio daemon. When I did so just a few moments ago to test if the pulseaudio daemon would re-spawn itself, I immediately noticed one of my cpu cores went to 100% use. Using top to find the cause, I found it was my "volumeicon" tint2 panel systray applet. I had to kill that process and relaunch it (after restarting the pulseaudio daemon) to fix that issue.

So, if you do try "pulseaudio --kill", you might want to check with top right afterwards to see if anything on your system is glitched due to it's disappearance.

Last edited by PabloTwo; 2nd March 2012 at 05:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 3rd March 2012, 07:11 PM
robertdaleweir Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 418
linuxfirefox
Re: Sound garbled just after booting

Quote:
Originally Posted by PabloTwo View Post
You can use the pulseaudio --kill and pulseaudio --start to stop and start the pulseaudio daemon. See if running those two commands, one after the other, straightens out the garbled audio situation.
It used to be that doing "pulseaudio -k|--kill" would kill pulseaudio but it would immediately re-spawn itself. I just tried that on my F16 and it didn't re-spawn.

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I should add a caution on killing the pulseaudio daemon. When I did so just a few moments ago to test if the pulseaudio daemon would re-spawn itself, I immediately noticed one of my cpu cores went to 100% use. Using top to find the cause, I found it was my "volumeicon" tint2 panel systray applet. I had to kill that process and relaunch it (after restarting the pulseaudio daemon) to fix that issue.

So, if you do try "pulseaudio --kill", you might want to check with top right afterwards to see if anything on your system is glitched due to it's disappearance.
Hi Pablo Two
Great suggestion and I will give that a try. I will post back when I get any definitive information. Thanks very much...

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
Also - try a powerdown ,between reboot. I had a weird problem back on 3.1.x that made sound fail till I power-cycled. Reboot w/o powerdown did not clear the problem.
Hi Stevea
I will give this approach a try. Do have any idea why a power down would be required? Thanks for your post...
__________________
Robert :)
Kernel 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 GNOME 3.4.2
CPU AMD 955 Quad Core
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21st March 2012, 01:47 AM
robertdaleweir Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 418
linuxfirefox
Unhappy Re: Sound garbled just after booting

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertdaleweir View Post
Hi Pablo Two
Great suggestion and I will give that a try. I will post back when I get any definitive information. Thanks very much...

---------- Post added at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 AM ----------



Hi Stevea
I will give this approach a try. Do have any idea why a power down would be required? Thanks for your post...
UPDATE
I have attempted to invoke the pulseaudio --kill and pulseaudio --start to resolve the Garbled Sound issue, to no avail.
I am now running VLC 1.1.13 Kernel 3.2.9 and Gnome 3.2.1 only to find that the Garbled Sound issue is actually worse. It appears to be unaffected by using the recommended work arounds. It has essentially rendered using VLC unacceptable.
This is very disconcerting, as I have enjoyed playing my DVDs using VLC. I will peal back the updates to see if I can get back what I used to have.
__________________
Robert :)
Kernel 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 GNOME 3.4.2
CPU AMD 955 Quad Core
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21st March 2012, 03:21 AM
Chilly Willy Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,258
linuxfirefox
Re: Sound garbled just after booting

Versions back, VLC was "hit & miss" from version to version if it would work right or not.
It would go quite a few versions & then all hell would break loose.
Never knew what the next version would be that would fix it.
I got tired of it & now use MOVIE PLAYER. It's not perfect, but I got rid of all those weird issues.
It seems VLC is still "cursed" with this... to bad, because it is a good player, when it WORKS!
__________________
Chilly Willy, Tux's little cousin...

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!

Last edited by Chilly Willy; 21st March 2012 at 03:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 13th April 2012, 05:21 PM
robertdaleweir Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 418
linuxfirefox
Re: Sound garbled just after booting

Hi
I have been forced to abandon VLC in favor of Movie Player. The garbled sound has gotten more persistent and nothing I try seems to help. I have used VLC on the Win platform but recently my friend has been experiencing issue on a Win 7 unit. Used to be it was better than Media Player (because of its cross platform ability) but not now, apparently.
Oh well so is life...
__________________
Robert :)
Kernel 3.9.10-100.fc17.x86_64 GNOME 3.4.2
CPU AMD 955 Quad Core
MoBo Gigabyte MA785GM-UD2H-AM3 MicroATX
Memory 8 Gigs OCZ DDR3-1333 PC-10666
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
booting, garbled, sound

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Garbled or no sound - Fedora 10 rwitt Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 3 2nd February 2012 09:04 AM
Open Arena Garbled Sound Durandal_22 Gamers' Lounge 2 28th July 2007 07:28 PM
Sound garbled; ERR: 1 on interrupts pairajacks Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 7 20th January 2007 07:51 PM
Sound totally garbled in FC3 fonex86_64 Hardware & Laptops 5 1st February 2005 03:55 PM


Current GMT-time: 15:57 (Thursday, 17-04-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat