Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 28th March 2012, 06:13 AM
tkalfaoglu Offline

linuxfirefox
Acer laptop: Downgrading to F16

I finally had to downgrade a laptop (Acer 6930G) back to F16 after many boot problems that nothing I did could solve. I was stuck with "CPU STUCK" errors, systemd crashes, disappearing gnome-panel packages (it stops gnome from booting), and other various odd boot up problems that made life a living hell. Odd, because two other machines here are using F17 without any problems - well, ok a few problems.

I reported these, and somehow those reports were deemed duplicates and disappeared into another bug report that seems unrelated..

Oh well,
-turgut
Old 28th March 2012, 11:45 AM
Boricua Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Acer laptop: Downgrading to F16

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkalfaoglu View Post
I finally had to downgrade a laptop (Acer 6930G) back to F16 after many boot problems that nothing I did could solve. I was stuck with "CPU STUCK" errors, systemd crashes, disappearing gnome-panel packages (it stops gnome from booting), and other various odd boot up problems that made life a living hell. Odd, because two other machines here are using F17 without any problems - well, ok a few problems.

I reported these, and somehow those reports were deemed duplicates and disappeared into another bug report that seems unrelated..

Oh well,
-turgut
I know exactly how you feel. I had a similar situation with my Asus U43f and yesterday was forced to re-install. Now, I have my fingers crossed a huge bunch of today's updates will stable it. My custom-built desktop has been remarkably stable.

---------- Post added at 06:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:01 AM ----------

Well, the bunch of updates did little, actually. The laptop sometimes boot all the way to the login screen, some times doesn't. Gnome-shell sometimes runs, sometimes not. I suspect a selinux issue, due to the amount of alerts I saw. My desktop computer is still doing just fine.

Last edited by Boricua; 28th March 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Tags
acer, downgrading, f16, laptop