Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st April 2012, 04:33 PM
sideeffect Offline

windows_7firefox
Fuduntu does not recognize Windows7 partition, it wants install on the whole disc

Halo

i searched a little for solutions but didnt find anything really helpful.
My problem:

i've installed Win7 pro 64 bit on 160GB of my 300GB harddisk. I created also a 2nd Partition (with the help ov Windows7 CD) of 140GB. I didnt install anything on that 2nd 140GB partition. Now i want install there Fuduntu.
(Fuduntu because its a toshiba n550d netbook, some said fuduntu works fine on netbooks)

So i'm booting form the fuduntu usb installer. Then i choose "install on harddsik". Then i can only choose to install fuduntu on the whole Harddisk. There is no option to choose this 140GB partition or any other option to install it on less than 300GB.

How to install it on these free 140GB?
Old 1st April 2012, 04:37 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fuduntu does not recognize Windows7 partition, it wants install on the whole disc

Hello,
As far as I know Fubuntu is only available in a livecd. Live cds don't allow you to choose the part info you want. The option of custom partitions is only available with install media and not available for livecds.
Old 1st April 2012, 04:43 PM
bob Offline
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Fuduntu does not recognize Windows7 partition, it wants install on the whole disc

This is Fedora's Forum. Fuduntu is a separate distro and no longer related to Fedora. Here's where to get an assist: http://www.fuduntu.org/forum/
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 1st April 2012, 04:47 PM
sideeffect Offline

windows_7firefox

ok, but still: what would you install on a netbook: fedora, ubuntu or fuduntu?
Old 1st April 2012, 04:51 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideeffect View Post
ok, but still: what would you install on a netbook: fedora, ubuntu or fuduntu?
I would install one of the following, Fedora, Scientific Linux,RHEL or CentOs for most cases. Of course there are other options.
Old 1st April 2012, 04:54 PM
sideeffect Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewSerk View Post
I would install one of the following, Fedora, Scientific Linux,RHEL or CentOs for most cases. Of course there are other options.
is fedora as simple to use as ubuntu? can compiz cube be used?
and still i downloaded now fedora installer, created live usb, and same problem:
i can install it only on the whole harddrive
Old 1st April 2012, 05:05 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
is fedora as simple to use as ubuntu?
That is a question of perspective that only you could answer for yourself.

Code:
can compiz cube be used?
Not sure if you can use compiz cube with gnome3?

Code:
nd still i downloaded now fedora installer, created live usb, and same problem:
i can install it only on the whole harddrive
Use the livecd you already have and download the install DVD. Install livecd-tools while working from the livecd. Use livecd-iso-to-disk to make the install DVD a bootable USB stick. From the install DVD (usb ) you can choose custom part info.

Hope this helps
Old 1st April 2012, 05:20 PM
sideeffect Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:

Use the livecd you already have and download the install DVD. Install livecd-tools while working from the livecd. Use livecd-iso-to-disk to make the install DVD a bootable USB stick. From the install DVD (usb ) you can choose custom part info.

Hope this helps
I've got a fedora16 live installer on the usb stick. (made it with UBS livecreator) now i should boot from the stick. then install livecd tools?

im pretty unused to linux, but worked sometimes with it, and the terminal a little bit.
Old 1st April 2012, 05:34 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Yes you could use the live usb to download the install DVD (best to download to your hard drive, so use disk utility to mount your hard drive while working from usb and save the install DVD to hard drive). This assumes you have more than one USB stick. If you don't have two append "live_ram" to the kernel line of the live usb during boot so after it boots you can remove the usb and have the OS running from ram.

Install livecd-tools while working from live usb.
From a terminal use lsblk to find the device location of your USB stick and substitute the real location for "/dev/sdx" in the below command .
Code:
lsblk
From a terminal run the following after changing path to iso, iso name and device location to the real info for you:
Code:
su -
livecd-iso-to-disk --format --reset-mbr /path-to-iso/Install_DVD_Name.iso /dev/sdx
Be sure to change /dev/sdx to the real device location of your usb stick or you could erase your hard drive.

After the above command has run you can poweroff and boot the usb install DVD and install.
Hope this helps,

Last edited by AndrewSerk; 1st April 2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 1st April 2012, 05:38 PM
Bazu135 Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Hello,
As far as I know Fubuntu is only available in a livecd. Live cds don't allow you to choose the part info you want. The option of custom partitions is only available with install media and not available for livecds.
Side note, but do you mean that for Fuduntu, or for all Live CDs? I used a Live CD to install Fedora, and got it on a second partition... Just wondering if I've somehow done something I shouldn't have been able to!
Old 1st April 2012, 05:42 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

I thought it was for all Fedora,Rhel type livecds but maybe there are new options I am unaware of??
Old 1st April 2012, 07:10 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm unfamiliar with Fuduntu, but it's possible you're running into a partition table problem that's causing libparted (upon which many Linux partitioning programs are based) to flake out. For more information, see the following Web page on the topic:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/missing-parts/index.html
Old 1st April 2012, 10:01 PM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxchrome

Thread moved to Linux Chat.
Old 1st April 2012, 10:39 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Personally that would be my list too - in fact I have Fedora, CentOS6.2 and ScientificLinux installs at the moment (and used to have RHEL when I had an employer paid license).

I can easily see why other people want to use Ubuntu, Mint, Arch and others. It really depends on what you want from Linux Distro.

If fuduntu has some feature you want - then by all means use it. It claims to be aimed and portables & netbooks and have a superior desktop experience. I don't see that evidenced, but each individual must judge the pluses and minuses themself.

If you are a Linux noob - then I'd suggest you pick a distro with an active help forum and fairly wide used. At least until you get some experience.

Fedora changes rapidly, and introduces new features regularly. As a result there are a constant stream of difficulties & problems - often minor but .... . Very few individuals can be expert on everything new - so a help forum is critical here. Using Fedora will occasionally require applying some workaround or using older packages while problems are ironed out. If you want an "install & forget" distro then Fedora is not the right choice. If you are interested in getting deeper into Linux and are willing to tolerate a bumpy ride - Fedora is very nice.

CentOS is a RHEL clone and there is great RHEL documentation online. But it's somewhat server oriented and slow changing. The core packages just work and ther eare no surprises. YOu can eaily use the EPEL repo - but the number of packages available for RHEL/CentOS is limited and more business related.

Ubuntu is hard to characterize - intended as a end-user install&forget distro, and has a lot of support and development, but they seem to be driving some new ideas like Unity - and that's not gone over well among end-users.

Look closely at Mint.

Tags
disc, fuduntu, install, partition, recognize, windows7