Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th March 2012, 05:19 AM
samthewildone Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: New computer build

Personally,

I feel that AMD is a more better investment due to its longevity. However 8 cores is more than enough and, as other members posted earlier, you don't need to break the bank if your not doing cpu intensive tasks. However it's your computer and what you feel is a great buy is your decision.

Good luck and hope you feel better.

- The Science of Getting Rich
Old 4th March 2012, 06:10 AM
marko Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonGodKid View Post

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:07 PM ----------

and what does this mean? [damon@unknown1c6f65a06b16 ~]$ sudo systemctl enable sysstat.service

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

could it be because thats the first time i used to sudo cmd instead of su -

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

"We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator."

i guess i have to lecture myself

sudo is traditionally a way for non-system admin people to run some limited commands as if they were root. The compromise is that the commands that sudo will allow to run is filtered on a per-user or per-group basis. (the real root user runs 'visudo' and configures all this). But even though they are being allowed to run those commands, they get that warning message
Old 7th March 2012, 09:46 PM
stevea Online

linuxfedorafirefox

Right - 'sudo' was just meant to be diagrammatic.

So instead of ...

sudo command1
sudo command2

Do

su -
<passwd>
command1
command2

Hope you are feeling better.

---------- Post added at 04:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by samthewildone View Post
Personally,

I feel that AMD is a more better investment due to its longevity. However 8 cores is more than enough and, as other members posted earlier, you don't need to break the bank if your not doing cpu intensive tasks. However it's your computer and what you feel is a great buy is your decision.

Good luck and hope you feel better.
There are religious arguments about which is better. That isn't a helpful issue UNTIL we understand where the current bottleneck is.

Adding more cores may be as silly as adding racing slicks to your tractor to make it go faster.
You just can't tell tell you measure the workload.
Old 14th March 2012, 09:53 PM
stevea Online

linuxfedorafirefox

FWIW I just observed a single firefox 3.6 instance w/ about 20 windows occupying 4.9GB of DRAM !
FIREFOX is your problem I'd wager.

Install Firefox10 - seems far less leaky.
Old 29th March 2012, 01:55 PM
AlanSac Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

I went through the same things 6 weeks ago. The first step was to check Toms Hardware at http://www.tomshardware.com/
I wanted virtualization and a 65 w processor to keep heat buildup down. My choice went to i3-2130 and the Intel Z68DB board, Nvidia 550TI card and 16 GM memory. Case CoolerMaster HAF912, Power Supply CoolerMaster 450w Bronze, Sony light scribe DVDRW, and a Seagate 2TB drive. Total build cost from Tiger Direct - $800 Note: this board requires everything to be SATA, even the optical drives.

I have never seen more than 30% utilization on any of the four cores. This is my 4th system build, and I firmly believe in lots of cooling - I have 4 case fans, plus the CPU fan. I'm looking for longevity and good output rather than hard-core gaming. I am running three other OS in Virtual Box - it's great!

Using Fedora 16
Old 8th April 2012, 06:53 PM
stevea Online

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanSac View Post
I went through the same things 6 weeks ago. The first step was to check Toms Hardware at http://www.tomshardware.com/
I wanted virtualization and a 65 w processor to keep heat buildup down. My choice went to i3-2130 and the Intel Z68DB board, Nvidia 550TI card and 16 GM memory. Case CoolerMaster HAF912, Power Supply CoolerMaster 450w Bronze, Sony light scribe DVDRW, and a Seagate 2TB drive. Total build cost from Tiger Direct - $800 Note: this board requires everything to be SATA, even the optical drives.

I have never seen more than 30% utilization on any of the four cores. This is my 4th system build, and I firmly believe in lots of cooling - I have 4 case fans, plus the CPU fan. I'm looking for longevity and good output rather than hard-core gaming. I am running three other OS in Virtual Box - it's great!

Using Fedora 16
I generally agree with your design/selection criteria - but let me pick nits.
For heavy virtualization the vt-I/O instruction set might be useful, for crypto you might want the txt feature. Otherwise your i3 sounds great.

I personally don't need graphics performance, and perhaps you do. Your Nvidia 550TI at idle reportedly draws 139 watts and at load draws 248 watts
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...-1gb-review/10
so the idea that you are saving much with a 65w vs 95w cpu is a dubious choice.

A modern 65W intel 2core system can idle well below 50 watts (excludng PSU losses) and will probably peak ~100W. But in addition you have the 248W vid load leading to a ~350W peak load (and ~190W at idle). So your 450W PSU is right-sized and that saves a lot of power. Do note that all these high efficiency bronze/silver/gold PSU have good efficiency at ~80-100% of rated load, but the efficiency falls off badly at low loads. When you system (inboard of the PS) is idling along at 200W, the PSU maybe losing another 150W !! So your 4fans + big heat sink is justified. Make sure that vid card gets plenty of air-flow.

Assuming you need/want that sort of power hungry vid card - then the overall parts selection looks pretty clean - no silliness like 1000W PSUs.
If I was going to optimize that system I'd measure power usage and see if a 350W PSU wouldn't work.

Last edited by stevea; 8th April 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 9th April 2012, 03:37 PM
Evil_Bert Offline
Retired Again - Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevea View Post
I generally agree with your design/selection criteria - but let me pick nits.
For heavy virtualization the vt-I/O instruction set might be useful, for crypto you might want the txt feature. Otherwise your i3 sounds great.

I personally don't need graphics performance, and perhaps you do. Your Nvidia 550TI at idle reportedly draws 139 watts and at load draws 248 watts
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/gra...-1gb-review/10
so the idea that you are saving much with a 65w vs 95w cpu is a dubious choice.

A modern 65W intel 2core system can idle well below 50 watts (excludng PSU losses) and will probably peak ~100W. But in addition you have the 248W vid load leading to a ~350W peak load (and ~190W at idle). So your 450W PSU is right-sized and that saves a lot of power. Do note that all these high efficiency bronze/silver/gold PSU have good efficiency at ~80-100% of rated load, but the efficiency falls off badly at low loads. When you system (inboard of the PS) is idling along at 200W, the PSU maybe losing another 150W !! So your 4fans + big heat sink is justified. Make sure that vid card gets plenty of air-flow.

Assuming you need/want that sort of power hungry vid card - then the overall parts selection looks pretty clean - no silliness like 1000W PSUs.
If I was going to optimize that system I'd measure power usage and see if a 350W PSU wouldn't work.
That source for the graphics power draw gives "watts at socket", i.e. for the whole machine, not just the graphics card.

I have one of those cards (GTX550Ti) and my machine is hooked up to a power meter. At idle, my machine draws only ~10W more than with the little GeForce G210 (which supposedly only had a maximum draw of ~30W and an idle of ~9W). My whole machine idles at 90w (that's a Phenom II X4 945 overclocked to 3.6GHz), or 75W at stock speeds/voltages, so the graphics card isn't drawing much.

Playing Skyrim at max graphics quality, my entire machine peaks at ~280W. That's the highest power draw I've seen with this machine.

These new "high efficiency" 80+ certified power supplies seem to have some advantages: at standby, with my new PSU, power draw is 1.1W, compared to 8W with my old PSU. Idle power is also down ~15% with the new PSU all other things being equal. Mine states minimum 82% efficiency at any power draw, rising to 89% at full power, and that seems to be borne out (roughly) by my power meter observations.

One might also consider the duration the power supply will be used, and whether it will be re-used in an upgraded or new machine. I still have two PSUs that are >7.5 years old, and several that are approaching 6 years. One frequently used concept in maintaining longevity of equipment is "de-rating", that is, never using it at rated capacity, but rather imposing a cap considerably below that figure from the outset. I've employed that approach for 20+ years (professionally, not just at home) and there are definite reliability advantages. Professionally, I would calculate the cost/benefit given different projections in failure rates, down time, lost productivity (or effectiveness), running cost, etc. For a home computer I simply make the decision that even one lost day due to PSU failure is easily offset by additional PSU cost (including running cost), so I tend to buy well and de-rate. I do understand that older PSUs were less efficient at lower power draw, but, professionally, in my experience, that cost is almost always outweighed by reliability gains of more robust PSUs. Of course, I'm talking about more than just desktop computers, but the concept is equally applicable there in many usage scenarios. Personally, I'm heavily biased toward reliability, but others may prefer to minimise capital and running costs and take performance "on faith".

IIRC, I've had 3 PSU failures (at home) over about 10+ years or so, but that was for a small population of machines, not just one. In my professional experience, the most failure-prone electronic item is indeed the PSU, so I would tend to buy quality where possible.

HTH

Tags
build