Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th April 2012, 05:02 PM
squidie Offline

windows_7firefox
Boot Issues after Upgrading to 3.3.1-5 F16

Hi,

I’ve recently ran the yum upgrade kernel command to upgrade from 3.3.1-3 in F16.

Everything runs fine except when I boot up it halts at Starting Sendmail Mail Transport Agent and won’t progress any further.

So I though I’d just boot into the previous kernel, expect when I do, after the Nvidia splash screen it just hangs on the black screen before the logon screen.

So I thought I’d checked that it hadn’t removed the kmod-nvidia driver, which is currently kmod-nvidia-295.33-2.fc16.3.i686 for my 8200M. It shows as currently installed in tty1 and thus I’m not really sure how to proceed.

I’ve tried re-installing and such that fails and I’ve checked for the Xorg.conf file in /etc/X11 and it shows in there correctly.

Now I’ve read a few things about issues with the black screen, which I had originally when installing Linux, and that’s with Debian and Ubunut as well. Since I’ve been using F16 fine for the last few months I’m not sure how to proceed with this and what to re-configure or re-install. Hopfully I just want to boot correctly into the most recent kernel and use but I’m fine having to revert back to 3.3.1-3 from -5 if I have to.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 05:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Managed to get back booted into -3, and I’ve removed the -5 kernel okay.

Anyone know of what the problem could have been?

Last edited by squidie; 14th April 2012 at 04:12 PM.

Tags
boot, f16, issues, upgrading