Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:48 AM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox
Where can I find Gnome 4 rpms, repo?

I would like to try Gnome 4. I have been searching for Gnome test builds but have not found anything so far.

Fedora 17 XFCE x64, Xubuntu 12.04 LTS x64, Windows 7 64bit
HP-ProBook 5830 i3 - PC AMD Core 4
MacBookPro v10.7.4 - 2.8GHz i7 4GB RAM
Old 23rd April 2012, 07:58 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox
Re: Where can I find Gnome 4 rpms, repo?

Gnome 4 was a April fools day joke!!

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=07183

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20120402#humour

Last edited by Yellowman; 23rd April 2012 at 08:02 AM.
Old 23rd April 2012, 02:48 PM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowman View Post
What I like about the Linux community is people to tend write things that they actually believe. The lies and dishonest behaviour in this world has made me unamused with the title of the article "humour" which i just noticed. In my opinion it's just a waste of the readers time.
With reference to the article, a blank screen is not such a bad idea. At least one can use his or hers imagination to explore what lies beneath.

Last edited by jonathonp; 23rd April 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 23rd April 2012, 04:16 PM
secipolla Offline

linuxfirefox

Look, I'm not one to keep talking about the past as everything improves.
But if you for once tried to suggest some improvement for GNOME 3 (even if it was something blatantly obvious to many many people) to some GNOME devs you would find that article quite funny and in some sense a blessing, as it made humour out of very mean behaviour. Some people there acted like they would rather throw their whole work out than accept suggestions, not to mention the trolls that popped up on every discussion that one could only imagine were GNOME people.
But we move on everything find its proper place eventually.
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:02 PM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by secipolla View Post
Look, I'm not one to keep talking about the past as everything improves.
But if you for once tried to suggest some improvement for GNOME 3 (even if it was something blatantly obvious to many many people) to some GNOME devs you would find that article quite funny and in some sense a blessing, as it made humour out of very mean behaviour. Some people there acted like they would rather throw their whole work out than accept suggestions, not to mention the trolls that popped up on every discussion that one could only imagine were GNOME people.
But we move on everything find its proper place eventually.
+1

It is amazing to see what is developing with Gnome 3 (MATE and Cinnamon), and too, to see Xfce developing and drawing more attention. Gnome 3 was not a good fit for me, but I am digging F16 Xfce.

And too, I laughed my tale off at that article (Gnome 4). Good humor, and a fun way to say, just relax on the flame-war of G3 development.
Old 23rd April 2012, 05:16 PM
jonathonp Offline

linuxfirefox

The question i asked myself when gnome 3 came out, "does it allow me to get any work done?". We all know the answer to that. It's really common sense when you think about it. Did the developers ever ask such a basic question? If you can't easily customise the desktop then what's the point of using it.

Old 24th April 2012, 11:26 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

I will say one good thing about Gnome 3: it got a lot more people to think about what window manager they're going to use rather than just sticking with the default. I'm sure projects like LXDE and XFCE love Gnome 3 because of the additional users they got, and Cinnamon (which IMO has surpassed even Gnome 2 in customization) wouldn't even exist were it not for Gnome 3's failings.
Old 25th April 2012, 12:38 AM
trekkie690 Offline

linuxfirefox

well Cinnamon is Gnome 3, well gnome3-shell at least
Old 25th April 2012, 01:36 AM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

The back-end at least (though a lot of that is also forked, since the Gnome team proved to be unable to provide bug fixes in a timely matter); the GUIs are as different as night and day.
Old 25th April 2012, 02:43 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanej View Post
I will say one good thing about Gnome 3: it got a lot more people to think about what window manager they're going to use rather than just sticking with the default. I'm sure projects like LXDE and XFCE love Gnome 3 because of the additional users they got, and Cinnamon (which IMO has surpassed even Gnome 2 in customization) wouldn't even exist were it not for Gnome 3's failings.
Definitely digging F16 Xfce

And I am curious how much traction (if any) Xfce is gaining with people stepping away from Gnome?

Curious too, about the mind set of fixing Gnome 3 (projects like Cinnamon)? I think it would be great if that extra effort and resources went to Xfce's development (my $.02).
Old 25th April 2012, 03:23 AM
Mister B Offline

windows_7ie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
Definitely digging F16 Xfce

And I am curious how much traction (if any) Xfce is gaining with people stepping away from Gnome?

Curious too, about the mind set of fixing Gnome 3 (projects like Cinnamon)? I think it would be great if that extra effort and resources went to Xfce's development (my $.02).
I ditched Gnome 3 for XFCE. I tried some of the earlier attempts to fix Gnome 3, but they just didn't work well. Maybe I'll give G3 another go, but XFCE is pretty polished these days.
Old 25th April 2012, 06:15 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanej View Post
I will say one good thing about Gnome 3: it got a lot more people to think about what window manager they're going to use rather than just sticking with the default.
Best comment on the topic. It is long past time for ppl to evaluate their actual desktop needs instead of going with the flow.
Old 25th April 2012, 10:42 AM
ElderSnake Offline

windows_8firefox

I agree too.

And I could be wrong but it seems like in recent times XFCE has been rapidly catching Gnome 2 (even if it has gotten slightly more bloated) and perhaps this whole Gnome 3 thing is partly the reason. For many people, XFCE is probably a good drop in replacement and perhaps the extra features and the like are to help with that and so it becomes the "new Gnome 2", though still lighter weight ATM.

I do think Gnome 3/Shell is improving though... but if you didn't like it in the first place you won't ever like it IMO, simply because of it's paradigm. It has it's place, but thankfully for the rest of us there are plenty of options out there.

Tags
gnome, repo, rpms