Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th April 2012, 06:18 PM
DustinCox Offline

linuxchrome
Game Maker

Hello. I would like to be able to make my own games in Fedora 16. I used GameMaker when I used Windows 7. Is there any similar program for Fedora 16?
Old 25th April 2012, 11:18 PM
Fenrin Offline

linuxopera
Re: Game Maker

it's likely that you can use Game Maker also under Linux if you use wine. Accoding to this rating most versions should work ok on wine: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...ation&iId=2965

Also there are many free Game engines (such as Panda3D, Irrlicht, Ogre3D, Cafu etc. etc.) which can be used on Linux. But the vast majority requires good programming language knowledge. If you want to learn a programming language I can recommend either python, because it's pretty easy and fast to program in python or C++, because it's commonly used in game engines. But C++ requires much more learning and patience. Programming in python is more fun. Free books to learn basic game making in python are here (but of course to be a programmer this two books are not enough, you should know about object oriented programming as well for advanced games and engines).
I recently also read about Flare, where you probably wouldn't need programming knowledge: http://opengameart.org/forumtopic/ho...ame-with-flare

Tags
game, maker