Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th April 2012, 06:20 AM
matth45 Offline

linuxchrome
Glitchy Bluetooth Audio

I just got a pair of Motorola S10-HD headphones from woot last week. They work great with my Android phone, but I haven't had a great experience with my Fedora laptop.

I wonder if anyone here can help troubleshoot. Here's what's going on:

I have an MSI StarKey bluetooth adapter on my laptop. I paired with the headphones without problems. The headphones pop up under the sounds settings, and I choose them under outputs. Under Hardware I switched them to the high-quality sound profile (Music vs. Telephone).

Sometimes they will play fine for extended periods of time. If I pause the music for a second and restart it, they will begin glitching -- cutting out the audio. Eventually the audio will get more and more distorted as well. And it seems that some buffer is getting overfilled, since if I press the pause button to pause the music, the music continues playing for a few seconds.

I don't think this is a signal strength issue. I am sitting right next to the adapter, and I see this from hcitool while they are glitching:

(the address of my headphones is 00:0D:FD:3F:43:9D)

$hcitool rssi 00:0D:FD:3F:43:9D
RSSI return value: 0
$ hcitool rssi 00:0D:FD:3F:43:9D
RSSI return value: -1
$ hcitool lq 00:0D:FD:3F:43:9D
Link quality: 255

I have tried killing and restarting pulseaudio, rhythmbox, and disabling/re-enabling the adapter to no avail. I noticed that if I leave the music paused long enough, I hear a click in the headphones and the light on the bluetooth adapter flashes at a slower rate. I think this means the connection goes idle. If I restart the music after this point, it starts immediately. If I don't wait for this, there is also a couple seconds delay before the music starts. This again makes me think that there is a buffer that's getting overfilled somewhere in the pulseaudio or bluetooth layers.

I'll try with a different adapter when I find one.

Thanks for your help.
Old 28th April 2012, 08:13 PM
matth45 Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Glitchy Bluetooth Audio

I managed to try this with a second bluetooth adapter, and I get the same behavior. The new adapter is:

Bus 004 Device 002: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)

My guess is that this is a bug in pulseaudio. Does anyone know how to send audio to a bluetooth device without pulse?

Tags
audio, bluetooth, glitchy, pulseaudio, rhythmbox