Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 27th April 2012, 03:57 PM
equipment Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sweden
Posts: 1
windows_8firefox
Installing Linux Fedora 16 of off an external HDD on Windows?

How can one install Feora 16 32 bit live of off an external HDD through USB?

I tried it with Universal-USB-Installer and get the error message that there was a no drive found to be mount and also the the format ntfs is not recognized.

In Netbootin the external HDD does not even get recognized in Windows 8 CP and is not selectable in the drop down menu, even though it is visible and writable in Windows Explorer.

I have managed all of this with Ubuntu 12.04 and Universal-USB-Installer, but with Fedora 16 it did not work for me.

Does anybody know about the error messages? Any action I can take from here?

p.s. I am wondering would the procedure work out if I simply format the external HDD in exFat instead of ntfs?

I have read that others have gotten it to work with vFat.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30th April 2012, 03:43 PM
lsatenstein Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Age: 73
Posts: 1,190
windows_7firefox
Re: Installing Linux Fedora 16 of off an external HDD on Windows?

I too would like to load the next Fedora 17 from a hard disk or directly from the ISO image file that I would transfer to a usb drive. This should be possible for many many Linux users who have machines that have 4 gigs of memory.
__________________

Leslie
in Montreal
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30th April 2012, 05:41 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Birmingham, UK
Age: 31
Posts: 2,771
linuxfirefox
Re: Installing Linux Fedora 16 of off an external HDD on Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipment View Post
How can one install Feora 16 32 bit live of off an external HDD through USB?
It should work the same as a USB solid-state drive.

Quote:
I tried it with Universal-USB-Installer and get the error message that there was a no drive found to be mount and also the the format ntfs is not recognized.
Booting Linux from an NTFS file-system is problematic, as the in-kernel NTFS driver is only partially complete. Normally Linux uses a user-space NTFS driver via FUSE for full NTFS support, but that isn't available during early boot.

Format the drive with vFAT32, or maybe ext2/3/4 would work too.

Quote:
I am wondering would the procedure work out if I simply format the external HDD in exFat instead of ntfs?

I have read that others have gotten it to work with vFat.
exFAT isn't supported by Linux at all yet, the driver is experimental and patent-encumbered (thank Microsoft for that). You're not going to have any luck installing Linux from non-native file-systems, so stick with vFAT if you need the drive to work with Windows too. (Or you could reformat it NTFS afterwards, as Linux can work with NTFS as a non-system file-system.)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 1st May 2012, 05:15 AM
lsatenstein Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Age: 73
Posts: 1,190
linuxfirefox
Re: Installing Linux Fedora 16 of off an external HDD on Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
I too would like to load the next Fedora 17 from a hard disk or directly from the ISO image file that I would transfer to a usb drive. This should be possible for many many Linux users who have machines that have 4 gigs of memory.
Actually, From Fedora 16 or other, would like to start a program that directly reads an ISO image and do the installation from that image. I really wonder why we have to convert the ISO image to a DVD or CD image before being able to make use of it.
__________________

Leslie
in Montreal
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 1st May 2012, 01:20 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Birmingham, UK
Age: 31
Posts: 2,771
linuxfirefox
Re: Installing Linux Fedora 16 of off an external HDD on Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Actually, From Fedora 16 or other, would like to start a program that directly reads an ISO image and do the installation from that image. I really wonder why we have to convert the ISO image to a DVD or CD image before being able to make use of it.
I got that. But it's close enough to what the live USB creator does: https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
external, fedora, hdd, installing, linux, windows

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Installing fedora 15 on external HDD from windows 7 without using DVD/USB stick henker Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 1 31st August 2011 05:19 PM
The COMPLETE guide to installing Linux Fedora Core 5 on your external HD nincb123 Guides & Solutions (No Questions) 10 28th October 2009 04:14 AM
Using an external Hard Drive for Windows and Linux griffse Hardware & Laptops 5 5th July 2006 04:30 AM
External Hard drive for windows and linux scotta3234 Installation, Upgrades and Live Media 9 26th April 2006 11:38 PM
Windows won't boot after installing FC4 on external simonsez EOL (End Of Life) Versions 19 29th June 2005 11:59 PM


Current GMT-time: 04:54 (Tuesday, 16-09-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat