Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 27th April 2012, 03:57 PM
equipment Offline

windows_8firefox
Installing Linux Fedora 16 of off an external HDD on Windows?

How can one install Feora 16 32 bit live of off an external HDD through USB?

I tried it with Universal-USB-Installer and get the error message that there was a no drive found to be mount and also the the format ntfs is not recognized.

In Netbootin the external HDD does not even get recognized in Windows 8 CP and is not selectable in the drop down menu, even though it is visible and writable in Windows Explorer.

I have managed all of this with Ubuntu 12.04 and Universal-USB-Installer, but with Fedora 16 it did not work for me.

Does anybody know about the error messages? Any action I can take from here?

p.s. I am wondering would the procedure work out if I simply format the external HDD in exFat instead of ntfs?

I have read that others have gotten it to work with vFat.
Old 30th April 2012, 03:43 PM
lsatenstein Offline

windows_7firefox
Re: Installing Linux Fedora 16 of off an external HDD on Windows?

I too would like to load the next Fedora 17 from a hard disk or directly from the ISO image file that I would transfer to a usb drive. This should be possible for many many Linux users who have machines that have 4 gigs of memory.

Leslie
in Montreal
Old 30th April 2012, 05:41 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by equipment View Post
How can one install Feora 16 32 bit live of off an external HDD through USB?
It should work the same as a USB solid-state drive.

Quote:
I tried it with Universal-USB-Installer and get the error message that there was a no drive found to be mount and also the the format ntfs is not recognized.
Booting Linux from an NTFS file-system is problematic, as the in-kernel NTFS driver is only partially complete. Normally Linux uses a user-space NTFS driver via FUSE for full NTFS support, but that isn't available during early boot.

Format the drive with vFAT32, or maybe ext2/3/4 would work too.

Quote:
I am wondering would the procedure work out if I simply format the external HDD in exFat instead of ntfs?

I have read that others have gotten it to work with vFat.
exFAT isn't supported by Linux at all yet, the driver is experimental and patent-encumbered (thank Microsoft for that). You're not going to have any luck installing Linux from non-native file-systems, so stick with vFAT if you need the drive to work with Windows too. (Or you could reformat it NTFS afterwards, as Linux can work with NTFS as a non-system file-system.)
Old 1st May 2012, 05:15 AM
lsatenstein Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
I too would like to load the next Fedora 17 from a hard disk or directly from the ISO image file that I would transfer to a usb drive. This should be possible for many many Linux users who have machines that have 4 gigs of memory.
Actually, From Fedora 16 or other, would like to start a program that directly reads an ISO image and do the installation from that image. I really wonder why we have to convert the ISO image to a DVD or CD image before being able to make use of it.

Leslie
in Montreal
Old 1st May 2012, 01:20 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsatenstein View Post
Actually, From Fedora 16 or other, would like to start a program that directly reads an ISO image and do the installation from that image. I really wonder why we have to convert the ISO image to a DVD or CD image before being able to make use of it.
I got that. But it's close enough to what the live USB creator does: https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/.

Tags
external, fedora, hdd, installing, linux, windows