Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th April 2012, 10:22 AM
linuxuser Offline

windows_7firefox
Exclamation Fedora 16 GUI doesnot start after updates

I had f16 installed from a live-cd , then i updated and after that GUI doesn't start. it shows "started display manager...[OK]". i can use the cli to login though. how to start the gui? i also installed nvdia driver
Old 29th April 2012, 02:17 PM
SteveGYBE Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 16 GUI doesnot start after updates

The latest nVidia drivers (295.40) are broken for GeForce 6, 7 or 8800GTX/GTS cards - see here.

So, until nVidia produce fixed drivers the choices are:
  1. Revert to the Nouveau driver, saying goodbye to Gnome 3 features which require accelerated graphics, or
  2. Install the 295.33 driver from nVidia, which will over-write some Xorg libraries potentially causing problems with future updates.
The 295.33 drivers are not available from RPMFusion for the latest Fedora 16 kernels. I started out going back to Nouveau, but eventually downloaded and installed the 259.33 drivers from nVidia - the issues caused will not be too difficult to fix...

Tags
doesnot, fedora, gui, start, updates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search