Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th April 2012, 05:09 PM
maydayjay1970 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox
Fedora 16 installation problems into a VirtualBox Machine

I am having issues also loading Fedora 16 into Virtualbox, the Live CD part works fine and Fedora comes up with in VirtualBox, however once i go to settings and load to hard disk the system starts the processes get almost all the way through the copying Live Image to Hard Drive and at the end of the copying processes the following error message comes up: "Error: There was an error installing the live image to your hard drive. This could be due to bad media. Please verify your installation media. " Then there is a warning about exiting the installer and that your system can be left in a inconsistent state. It does not matter which media I download from Fedora.org I keep getting the same error message and it does not matter if I burn the .ISO image to DVD or leave it on the hard drive and have VirtualBox point to it as the Live CD. Any help? A few things: I have Ubuntu running fine in one of the virtualbox machines with no issues. I have allocated 2 gigs ram for Fedora as I have a 6 gig laptop and I increased the video to 128 and checked off the 3d acceleration even though I know GNOME3 will crash on the Live CD, but I wanted to install to hard drive to start fixing that issue per other posts. I have burned several copies of the different .ISO images with NERO and Windows media burner same situation with the error message.
Old 30th April 2012, 05:18 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 16 installation problems into a VirtualBox Machine

How big if your virtual HD allotment?
Old 30th April 2012, 07:13 PM
maydayjay1970 Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

I have the following settings for the virtualbox: 8 gig hard drive space, 2 gig RAM, display set at max 128 with 3 D acceleration. I am using a Lenovo Laptop with intel I5 core and 6 gig RAM and 500 gig Hard Drive. The Ubuntu software is running fine on another VirtualBox machine I have created, just can not get Fedora to install to the Hard Drive, I am trying some other settings but every time I get the same error message. The Live CD works but that is it, will not load to Hard Drive.

---------- Post added at 12:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:43 PM ----------

I will try to increase the Hard Drive size just for fun and see what happens.

---------- Post added at 02:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 PM ----------

Increase Hard Drive size still same issue I get to the end of the hard drive install and get the same error message.
Old 1st May 2012, 10:33 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Do you have the latest version of virtualbox installed?
Old 1st May 2012, 10:42 AM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

linuxfirefox

Just for kicks, I'm going to give this a shot and see what the result is. I'm using the Fedora 16 Live Desktop (x86_64) because I already have the ISO file. I'm using VirtualBox 4.1.14 r77440 on Fedora 17 x86_64. I've created a new machine using all default settings. Once created I've changed networking from nat to bridged. Burning the live disk now and will report back once the install has finished.

Using cdrecord to burn the live cd.

Well, 12 minutes later I'm sorry to report that the install worked flawlessly and I now have a fully working Fedora 16 desktop system running under VirtualBox.
maydayjay1970, during your repeated attempts to install have you been deleting and recreating the virtual machine? I wonder if that may help since it would give you a fresh start.

Remember, the virtual machine was created with all the default VBox settings with the exception of nat/bridged networking.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB

Tags
fedora, installation, machine, problems, virtualbox