Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 5th May 2012, 07:50 AM
ArcherSam Offline

linuxfirefox
Unhappy Installing USB Wireless Adapter

I am trying to get my wireless adapter[2WIRE 802.11g USB Wireless Adapter] to work on my desktop [Dell Optiplex GX270] with fc16-lxde. I have been following a blog about installing this device <http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/02/howto-setup-2wire-80211g-wireless-usb.html>. After a minbreaking ndiswrapper install, I was able to load the driver. Now I am stuck on an error when I try to write the module alias configuration for all devices. Help please!

Driver loaded:
Code:
ndiswrapper -l
wlanuig : driver installed
device (1630:0005) present (alternate driver: p54usb)
Writing module alias configuration for all devices:
Code:
su -c 'sudo ndiswrapper -ma'
module configuration information is stored in /etc/modules.conf
Old 5th May 2012, 10:36 AM
ArcherSam Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Installing USB Wireless Adapter

I was able to get this wireless adapter working by follwoing the steps taken by wh77q at tinymelinux forums.

Posted solution by why77q:
Quote:
Success!! Had to do the following:
1. smart remove ndiswrapper get rid of the old install
2. download the latest ndiswrapper tarball (ndiswrapper-xxx.tar.gz) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/ndiswrapper/
3. Place the ndiswrapper tarball in /usr/src
4. tar -xvf ndiswrapper-xxx
5. cd ndiswrapper-xxx (directory created by tar)
6. make
7. make install
8. ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf (for both drivers in the case of the wg111t)
9. ndiswrapper -l to verify the installation---should show the driver(s) and device ID
10. modprobe ndiswrapper
11. configure wlan0 in Network Center and start it up.
I guess I couldn't go to sleep until I solved this problem. I just wanted to get out of the Window.

Also, I have uploaded the drivers if someone else is trying to install the same usb wireless adapter.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 2wire-802.11g-usb-wirelessadapter_drivers.zip (157.5 KB, 96 views)

Tags
2wire 802.11g, usb wireless adapter