Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 30th January 2012, 05:25 PM
varpa Offline

linuxfirefox
F16 - video playing crashes X windows

Ever since upgrading to F16 I cannot play videos (with xine, vlc, DragonPlayer ...) without getting a X window crash. For xine X windows will crash just by starting xine. With vlc, the program will start but crashes when you load a video (but you can play mp3's). By crash I mean the screen goes black and X windows restarts and I get the gdm login box again.

I have an ATI RV620 LE [Radeon HD 3450] video card using the fglrx driver with Cataylst version 11.11 The problem has persisted through several kernel upgrades (currently running 3.2.2-1.fc16.x86_64).

Other details:
o youtube videos play fine
o can use xine, vlc etc inside a vncviewer window (connected to same machine) - I know that the graphics capability using vnc is reduced compared to a regular desktop and apparently this is avoids the bug.
o crashes happen in all window managers I've tried: KDE, gnome3, LXDE
o crashes occurs whether or not the "Tear Free Desktop" Catalyst option is enabled.

Any suggestions?
Old 31st January 2012, 07:03 PM
varpa Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: F16 - video playing crashes X windows

Got the answer on another forum: Configure your video players to use GL output instead of Xv. This is a known bug with fglrx and 1.10/1.11 X servers

However, it was difficult to reconfigure xine because its gui menu to select the video driver hangs xine (and nearly locks up the whole session) when you try to scroll the menu, after which you must kill xine. I had to change xine's driver by editing ~/.xine/config directly, which worked.
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:21 AM
Mark1234 Offline

linuxfirefox

OMG ..... you hit the nail on the head. I just upgraded to f16 KDE, and it took me 4 days to get around to fixing the video playback. Video playbeck would crash my X from vlc and dragon, but changing video output to glx fixed my problem.

.........Just a note, I have a Nvidia gt9400 video card, but with this install I did not install the Nvidia drivers

.... I use Fedora 16 KDE 64bit

Thanks a lot!!!!!!
Old 4th May 2012, 10:46 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

Note: this ATI bug is fixed since Catalyst 12.2
Old 6th May 2012, 05:54 AM
Mark1234 Offline

linuxfirefox

.... maybe ATI, but Nvidia?

Nvidia is the way better choice. There tech support take us a lot more seriously.......

Tags
crashes, f16, playing, video, vlc, windows, x crash, xine