Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd December 2011, 05:08 PM
kbs1 Offline

linuxopera
Thumbs up Gnome 3 Fallback mode on GeForce 450 GTS with PAE kernel

Today I have installed fedora 16 (upgrade from fedora 14 using preupgrade) on my second computer, and sure enough, got message "Gnome 3 failed to load" [only once, the first time]. So I did follow this giude as I did when installing F16 the very same way on my other PC: http://www.if-not-true-then-false.co...ouveau-driver/

Everything went fine, but gnome 3 will not start up, only in fallback mode. Googling a lot, and trying a lot of suggestions, nothing works.

SeLinux is disabled [fully disabled]. Kernel is PAE. Tried to install nvidia driver using akmod, kmod, and also kmod-PAE. Nothing works. Also tried to install nvidia proprietary drivers from nvidia official site, still the same. nvidia-settings says everything is okay and direct rendering is enabled.

Graphics is good it's just not the true gnome 3 experience but fallback mode. Forced fallback mode is disabled.

output of:

rpm -qa |grep -e nvidia -e kernel|sort;uname -r;lsmod |grep -e nvidia -e nouveau;cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Code:
abrt-addon-kerneloops-2.0.6-1.fc16.i686
akmod-nvidia-290.10-1.fc16.1.i686
kernel-headers-3.1.2-1.fc16.i686
kernel-PAE-3.1.2-1.fc16.i686
kernel-PAE-devel-3.1.2-1.fc16.i686
kernel-tools-3.1.2-1.fc16.i686
kmod-nvidia-3.1.2-1.fc16.i686.PAE-290.10-1.fc16.1.i686
libreport-plugin-kerneloops-2.0.7-1.fc16.i686
nvidia-settings-1.0-13.fc16.i686
nvidia-xconfig-1.0-11.fc16.i686
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-290.10-1.fc16.i686
xorg-x11-drv-nvidia-libs-290.10-1.fc16.i686

3.1.2-1.fc16.i686.PAE

nvidia              10769859  30 
i2c_core               21564  3 nvidia,videodev,i2c_i801

# nvidia-xconfig: X configuration file generated by nvidia-xconfig
# nvidia-xconfig:  version 290.10  (mockbuild@)  Wed Nov 23 16:03:50 EST 2011

# RPM Fusion - nvidia-xorg.conf
# 

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "Default Layout"
    Screen         "Default Screen" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
    Identifier     "Keyboard0"
    Driver         "keyboard"
    Option         "XkbLayout" "sk_qwerty"
    Option         "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

# generated from default
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Videocard0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Default Screen"
    Device         "Videocard0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Modes      "nvidia-auto-select"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

I'm starting to think there is a problem with the PAE kernel. Anyone has the same problem?

Oh and also, I did set the execute flag on nvidia.ko file as mentioned in one thread. Did not help. And I did update dracut initramfs image after each change and before every reboot.

Graphics cards, drivers, kernels:
Machine 1: GeForce 6600 GT, akmod-nvidia, x86_64 kernel [works]
Machine 2 (this one): GeForce GTS450, any driver (currently akmod-nvidia), 32-bit PAE kernel [does not work, fallback mode only]

Anyone having the same issues?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 06:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:51 PM ----------

It just started to work, don't ask me why. I did NOTHING related. I just said "oh well" and went at to least enable desktop icons. So I did

sudo yum install gnome-tweak-tool
... waited for it to finish
sudo yum install gconf-editor
... chose yes and waited for it to finish

Opened gnome-tweak-tool and noticed some options (like shelll extensions) were blank, but that was okay because I'm in fallback mode. I checked "let file manager handle the desktop", selected "all three buttons" in window bar, selected show seconds in clock, date in clock, weekday in calendar.

Then I went to change the window theme from my old gnome theme [don't know what it was] to modern "Adwaita", and then I proceeded to shrink the window border using

sudo sed -i "/title_vertical_pad/s/value=\"[0-9]\{1,2\}\"/value=\"4\"/g" /usr/share/themes/Adwaita/metacity-1/metacity-theme-3.xml

Setting "let file manager handle the desktop" did not take effect, I assumed that was because I was in fallback mode. So to enable it, I had to restart gnome.

I realised ALT+F2 r won't do me any good in fallback mode, so I logged out. Then it came. I saw "nvidia" logo blink there for a second [first time I saw that on this PC and this installation of fedora], and when I logged in, viola, full GNOME 3 experience.

Now hence that I'm happy, I have no idea why, all of the sudden, it started to work.

Was the problem that I had the "old" window theme selected? Or that while installing gnome-tweak-tool and gconf-editor yum somehow installed something important? Or did the "let filemanager handle the desktop" setting really matter?

Personally, I think that the problem was in old window theme. I saw gnome top panel "blink" and change shape a couple of times before in fallback mode as if it has tried to to go to full mode, but it never did.

So just a quick wrap up - it you can't get gnome 3 full experience to run for any reason, try changing your window theme! ;-)

Last edited by kbs1; 3rd December 2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 22nd December 2011, 11:46 PM
volrath Offline

windows_7chrome
Re: Gnome 3 Fallback mode on GeForce 450 GTS with PAE kernel

I had a similar issue. I saw this and tried it:
Code:
I noticed one of the required dependencies to do this was to install gnome-shell. I looked up that package, and determined it's probably pretty important to get the new experience. Low and behold, after installing gnome-shell and logging out and back in, I had the new experience working just fine.
Old 8th March 2012, 09:21 PM
ericrjones1 Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks for the advise. This worked for me.
Old 7th May 2012, 04:01 AM
rweed Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by volrath View Post
I had a similar issue. I saw this and tried it:
Code:
I noticed one of the required dependencies to do this was to install gnome-shell. I looked up that package, and determined it's probably pretty important to get the new experience. Low and behold, after installing gnome-shell and logging out and back in, I had the new experience working just fine.
Thanks, this just fixed the issue for me. I'm still having issues with multi-monitors, but now I get the standard experience after I installed gnome-shell.

+1

Tags
450, fallback, geforce, gnome, gts, gts 450, gts450, kernel, mode, pae