Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 9th May 2012, 09:50 AM
Marky Mark Offline

linuxchrome
Auto updating wallpaper doesn't update

I've been running F17 beta since it was first available - having installed it fresh on my netbook from the live CD. I haven't found many show stopping issues, so a note about the wallpaper will seem very trivial

Ubuntu had wallpaper that changed throughout the day sometime around 11.04 - about a year ago. I see that F17 has tried to followed suit, but for some reason the implementation does not appear to function correctly. It's neat eye candy and although not an important function of the OS, if others can do it successfully - why not Fedora?

The wallpaper just stays on the classic fedora background and does not update.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 9th May 2012, 06:49 PM
LightDot Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Auto updating wallpaper doesn't update

The first time Fedora had this by default is back in Fedora 8, as far as I can remember. That's 2007. So It's not following Ubuntu and I don't think Ubuntu is following Fedora either, as similar solutions have existed elsewhere before that.

How did you set your wallpaper up - I'm assuming you've changed the deafult settings? What do you expect it to do and what does it do now?
Old 9th May 2012, 09:02 PM
Marky Mark Offline

linuxchrome

I just right clicked on the desktop and selected 'Change Desktop Background' and chose the default one that 'changes throughout the day'. But for me it doesn't.

I didn't notice a background that changed throughout the day with F16 which was when I started with Fedora so assumed F17 was the first instance of its implementation. I assume it works as it should with you then?

Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 11:10 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxsafari

You are right, it has been missing since F15/Gnome3.
The periodic wallpaper of F17 worked for me when I tried it like a month ago, so it might be a regression.
Keep in mind that the periodic changing wallpaper consists only out of 3 quite similar looking ones.

Tags
auto, update, updating, wallpaper