Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 11th August 2011, 02:29 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: HowTo Install Fedora 10/11/12 DVD from a 4GB USB stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer111 View Post
Have you tried it on Fedora 15 DVD iso?

I'm on debian. AFAIK - the is no livecd-tools package there. So - I pulled that script tools_livecd-iso-to-disk.sh and ran it like this:

sudo ./tools_livecd-iso-to-disk.sh --noverify Fedora-15-x86_64-DVD.iso /dev/sdb1

But installation still failed with this message:
isolinux.bin missin or currupt.

---------- Post added at 04:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 AM ----------

No. I've jsut tried unetbootin on netinstall iso and got missin operating System message.
Have you tried executing syslinux on the USB stick? syslinux --install /dev/(whatever your USB stick is). See man syslinux for details.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

http://pilgrim-wanderings.blogspot.com
Old 11th August 2011, 05:18 PM
RogerOdle2 Offline

linuxfirefox

I have successfully installed the F15 x86_64 DVD image onto a 32G stick but I do not remember all of the steps that I needed to follow. I remember three things.

1. I needed to copy a boot image from a live cd. I do not remember if I had to do this for the GA release image. I know that I had to do it for the beta release.

2. I needed to copy to F15 x86_64 DVD iso to the stick. I do not believe that the installer uses the files in the directories created when using dd but that it looks for and mounts the iso image and then runs the installer from there and installs from the iso file.

3. When the installer asks to install the bootloader, it defaults to selecting the USB stick. You can use the menus to assign to target hard drive as drive A and it will work fine. If you click through this menu you may find that your installer USB stick will not boot and you will have to repair your boot stick and try again.
Old 18th August 2011, 08:37 AM
ophellia Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Question Re: HowTo Install Fedora 10/11/12 DVD from a 4GB USB stick

hi
i'm a newbie in fedora and i want to make an installation usb drive out of the fedora 11 dvd.iso i've been tried the previous thread but the outcome is that when i reboot without the usbdrive, my computer can't find the OS ... why is it like that or have i missed something here?

regards
ophellia
Old 19th August 2011, 01:23 AM
ophellia Offline

windows_vistafirefox

hi detox, i've tried it already but it's does work but when i reboot without using the usb disk, my f11 doesn't work.. and i'm using f11 for working purposes...
Old 19th August 2011, 02:49 AM
ophellia Offline

windows_vistafirefox
Red face Re: HowTo Install Fedora 10/11/12 DVD from a 4GB USB stick

i'm putting Fedora 11 in the usb drive, and im not sure whether it is misconfig the bios or not
Old 20th August 2011, 01:47 AM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophellia View Post
i'm putting Fedora 11 in the usb drive, and im not sure whether it is misconfig the bios or not
It sounds like a problem I've seen. When the system goes to install GRUB, the default seems to be the stick where the live CD/DVD is located. One has to manually go and change the order so that it sees the system's HDD as the proper place to install GRUB, not the USB stick. This is one place where not taking the defaults listed is the proper course of action.

"We must understand the reality that just because our culture claims certain things are true it does not mean they are!" --M. Liederbach

Old 22nd August 2011, 05:15 AM
ophellia Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Smile Re: HowTo Install Fedora 10/11/12 DVD from a 4GB USB stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephenH View Post
One has to manually go and change the order so that it sees the system's HDD as the proper place to install GRUB, not the USB stick.
Hi StephenH,
how do you manually change the order pls teach me?
Old 22nd August 2011, 12:50 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophellia View Post
Hi StephenH,
how do you manually change the order pls teach me?
Okay. On the screen where Grub is installed, you see a box with Fedora and other installed operating systems listed. Above that box there is a smaller section listing where Grub should be installed. It will probably be defaulted to your USB stick, (I'm going from memory here since I am not currently installing and can't see the screen in front of me). If you click on that box, you should get a dropdown where you see the drives listed. You should select the drive (usually sda if it is the only HDD in your system) as the place to install Grub. If it shows anything else such as sdh, then it is set to install to your USB stick, not your HDD. I don't have time to go through an installation to give better instructions right now as I have to get ready to leave for class. However, you should be able to find what I am describing and work your way through it now.

Old 23rd August 2011, 02:57 AM
ophellia Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

hi
StephenH

Thank you very much
Old 9th May 2012, 04:50 PM
smr54 Offline

linuxsafari

Huh? It looks as if you're responding to a much older post. (Which most of us have done at one time or another--in this case, it looks as if you're answering a post from August of last year). Do you have this confused with another thread. (Again, many of us have done that too.)
Old 9th May 2012, 09:04 PM
Darr247 Offline

windows_7ie

To what message are you referring?
Old 10th May 2012, 05:09 PM
StephenH Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen hot View Post
i've been tried the previous thread but the outcome is that when i reboot without the usbdrive, my computer can't find the OS ... why is it like that or have i missed something here?
What you may have missed is ensuring that when the bootloader is configured, making sure that the HDD and not the USB drive is selected as the target for installing Grub. I got caught by that a couple of times before I learned to double-check that the right target was specified.

Tags
4gb, dvd, fedora, howto, install, stick, usb