Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 10th May 2012, 02:00 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox
Re: Gimp 2.8 in F16?

There's a 64 bit repo for 2.8

Code:
su
wget http://leigh123linux.fedorapeople.org/pub/gimp28-x86_64/gimp28.repo -O /etc/yum.repos.d/gimp28.repo
Old 10th May 2012, 07:04 PM
Finalzone Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Lightbulb Re: Gimp 2.8 in F16?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzer View Post
Nice to see, but a quick revert back to 2.7.5 for me. With three minutes of use I had to kill the gimp three times. Nice to see a movement towards 32-bit floating integers. I will definitely check this out later in it's development cycle.
Make sure to disable "Use GEGL" on the menu. That should be removed on later development because git version of Gimp now use GEGL engine by default.
Old 11th May 2012, 01:33 AM
jazzer Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Gimp 2.8 in F16?

Finalzone,

I find this development in the gimp very, very encouraging. I use the gimp in my actual work flow being passionate about photography. And yes with that can see the benefits of gegl and higher bit processing. So I find this much more exciting than the single window development of 2.7 (though I think it was due time - and I like the fact it's a choice)

My only real question here is this, disabling the 'use gegl' will stop some of the stability issues? My personal guess is, without knowing the actual technical reason, I would read the 'use gegl' as being redundant and not changing one iota the actual stability? Note - I would happily be told otherwise and may just try 2.9 git again...

As I said I'm passionate about photography (and I have Bibble5 for processing photography), it's just the gimp is my final touch tool so I do care some about stability and get easily frustrated - my main reason to stay away from development versions unless it has a feature I feel I need. 32-bit is one of those....

Tags
f16, gimp, released