Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 14th May 2012, 12:47 PM
waseembaraskar Offline

linuxfirefox
Wink HowTo Install Fedora 14/16 DVD from a 4GB USB stick in Dual Boot environment

Hi guys,

I am a newbie. I have acer Laptop, XP as primary os. I had tried fedora 16 & 14 LiveCd and installed from usb pendrive in a dual boot environment.

Now i want to install Fedora 16 DVD iso image from usb stick in dual boot environment.
I tried fedoras LIveUsb creator. but it wont work out .

Please neglect my poor english.

If you have any advice & guidance please share.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 14th May 2012, 03:26 PM
Smoking Tux Online

windows_xp_2003firefox
Re: HowTo Install Fedora 14/16 DVD from a 4GB USB stick in Dual Boot environment

The DVD image doesn't fit a 4GB pendrive. Either buy a bigger one or burn the image to DVD..
Old 14th May 2012, 03:51 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: HowTo Install Fedora 14/16 DVD from a 4GB USB stick in Dual Boot environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoking Tux View Post
The DVD image doesn't fit a 4GB pendrive. Either buy a bigger one or burn the image to DVD..
I don't think so. I have USB with DVD install image of Fedora 17 TC5 on a 4GB flash drive right now. On that basis, I am quite certain it is possible to use a 4 GB USB drive.

Also, from Fedora documentation page,

Quote:

... As a rule of thumb, you should use a stick of at least 1GB to write a live image or network install image, and a stick of at least 4GB to write a DVD image.
OP:

You could try using dd. Here are the instructions from Fedora documentation.

WARNING: Be very very careful when using dd. If you are not sure about something, CHECK and UNDERSTAND the command before proceeding.

Cheers.
Old 14th May 2012, 05:23 PM
Smoking Tux Online

linuxfirefox

Last time as I tried this, with an Intenso 4GB stick, dd as also unetbootin stopped shortly before the end because there was no space left.
Dunno why it works for you..maybe there are little capacity differences..or my pendrive is dying on..
Old 15th May 2012, 04:57 AM
waseembaraskar Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Re: HowTo Install Fedora 14/16 DVD from a 4GB USB stick in Dual Boot environment

Ok guys dont worry about pendrive capacity.

Just tell how i can make pendrive as bootable media to install Fedora DVD iso using windows xp

If anyone know about tools or application to make bootable usbstick in windows environment please let me know.
Old 15th May 2012, 06:28 AM
Smoking Tux Online

linuxfirefox

Try unetbootin..
Old 15th May 2012, 02:58 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

I have had some success with unetbootin (post above) and also live usb creator - here
Old 15th May 2012, 04:25 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

actually, none of those methods may work.

Anaconda has a bug where it can't find the local installation repos if you put the DVD install media on a usb stick. Currently, livecd-iso-to-disk is the only method I know of that will make a usable USB stick from the DVD media.

They have fixed the problem in F17, and you can use dd along with other methods, but F16 still has the bug.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:52 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

oh yeah! That's right. Anaconda will boot fine. But when it comes the time to install packages, you WILL NEED to be connected to internet in order to complete the installation. If you are connected to the servers, no problems - else, the installer WILL quit!
Old 15th May 2012, 05:02 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
oh yeah! That's right. Anaconda will boot fine. But when it comes the time to install packages, you WILL NEED to be connected to internet in order to complete the installation. If you are connected to the servers, no problems - else, the installer WILL quit!

Unless by some miracle you can finagle around and get the repo= parameter to work, but I never had very good luck with it. livecd-iso-to-disk does set things up properly, but it's a Fedora only thing. The OP is looking for a way to create it from Windows, and unfortunately, I don't know of a Windows tool that will correctly create a USB stick from the DVD (at least not for F15 or F16. I don't recall if I had that issue in F14 or not.
Old 15th May 2012, 06:35 PM
mwesten Offline

linuxmintfirefox

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...10#post1535110
Old 15th May 2012, 07:39 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

yes, but that is using livecd-iso-to-disk which puts the DVD onto the USB stick as an iso image file, and then puts a different linux on it to boot from and start the iso image. There is no Windows version of livecd-iso-to-disk

There were some issues getting the repo= parameter to work if the DVD iso was put straight to the USB stick like you would when burning a DVD.

My guess would be the closest you would come to how livecd-iso-to-disk works is to create the USB stick using the liveusb or unetbootin, then go back and edit the kernel line it boots from to include the repo= parameter.

Tags
14 or 16, 4gb, boot, dual, dvd, environment, fedora, howto, install, stick, usb