Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Linux Chat
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Linux Chat The place to talk about anything linux-related outside of Fedora

View Poll Results: How are you and GNOME Shell progressing as friends?
Disliked at first, now like 7 14.29%
Disliked at first, still dislike 11 22.45%
Disliked at first, now no opinion 0 0%
Liked at first, still like 15 30.61%
Liked at first, now dislike 2 4.08%
Liked at first, now no opinion 1 2.04%
No Opinion at first, now like 3 6.12%
No Opinion at first, still dislike 2 4.08%
No Opinion at first, now no opinion 1 2.04%
Gave it ago and gave up with it 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 15th May 2012, 02:55 PM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox
1(ish) year of Fedora and GNOME Shell

With the release of Fedora 17 just around the corner we have now had nearly two full runs (1 year) of Fedora with Gnome3 and Gnome Shell.

With that I would like to know of those that STUCK with gnome shell how are you finding it and has your opinion changed? (There is an option for those that tried it and gave up)

This thread is not for people to rant about gnome-shell. I do not want to hear about how X is a much better desktop environment than gnome shell. Out of those that dislike gnome shell but stuck with it I would like to know why?

Lets keep things nice, no rants. Just a line or two comment if you feel the need. Dan is watching to make sure this does not leave topic and decend into another DE (Desktop Environment) flame war.
Old 15th May 2012, 03:06 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: 1(ish) year of Fedora and GNOME Shell

Sorry, but I can't go into the reasons I dislike Gnome Shell without going into a rant. Lets just leave it at being less productive with a DE (Gnome) that I have been using for 12+ years than with one that I have used less than 30 minutes.

I really did try to get used to Gnome Shell, and gave it well over a year (started with the F15 alpha) But it really hasn't improved, and several issues have only gotten worse.
Old 15th May 2012, 03:17 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

BTW, folks. Aduniac contacted me before opening this thread, and as such, it's authorized and what we're looking for is constructive feedback/comments here.

That being said, Now that Gnome 3/Gnome-Shell has had a year to mature, (really not all that long in terms of the lifespan of Gome 2) I find that the array of extensions has vastly improved the functionality and user-friendliness of the interface, and it still has that same basic charm that it was born with, and once in a while -- I do log into Gnome. However, I now include Cinnamon and both iterations of Enlightenment (e16 and E17) in all my installs. For speed and power, they are awfully hard to beat.

And that being said, it is also true that on my "workhorse" everyday working install of F11 (Yeah. I know. But it, "Just Works"® ™ <....> ) I have and run Compiz Fusion daily. It is indeed rare that I switch it back to the straight Gnome 2 interface.

So in the long run, I think Gnome 3 is maturing, and is improving over time, and has (and will have) those folks who dearly love it. It's going to be pretty much impossible to turn the clock back on it.
Old 15th May 2012, 03:53 PM
Adunaic Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Sorry, but I can't go into the reasons I dislike Gnome Shell without going into a rant. Lets just leave it at being less productive with a DE (Gnome) that I have been using for 12+ years than with one that I have used less than 30 minutes.

I really did try to get used to Gnome Shell, and gave it well over a year (started with the F15 alpha) But it really hasn't improved, and several issues have only gotten worse.
No problem. Out of interest did you only give F15 with GNOME Shell a try or did you try again with F16. Also do you think that you might try future versions because you want to move back to GNOME or have you found and new home and have no desire to move back?
Old 15th May 2012, 04:01 PM
John the train Offline
Techno-Womble - Community Manager

linuxfedorafirefox

I've found that I can get on with Gnome Shell using the tweaks to give me the features I used in Gnome 2, but I may give Cinnamon or Enlightenment a try if I get a vunder-bork upgrading to F17. ( I have Enlightenment in Macpup 5.2.8 on my laptop. )
Old 15th May 2012, 04:08 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

I am relatively new linux user and have only used windows before Fedora 13. But, I have liked GNOME 3/GNOME shell very much from the very beginning. With the available extensions, it has become even better and in my experience, GNOME 3.2 became much more usable. GNOME 3.4 has worked beautifully in Virtualbox also.

I am running F17 in my computers with GNOME shell as the only DE in one and GNOME shell/Cinnamon (to test cinnamon) on the other laptop. My experience with GNOME has been very pleasant ....
Old 15th May 2012, 04:14 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adunaic View Post
No problem. Out of interest did you only give F15 with GNOME Shell a try or did you try again with F16. Also do you think that you might try future versions because you want to move back to GNOME or have you found and new home and have no desire to move back?
I tried it in F15 starting with the alpha, all the way up to the current almost ready release of F17. So I have tried every Gnome 3 shell update and release that has been in Fedora. I would love to stay with Gnome if I can be productive using it, but all of my experiences with it have just been a bogged down desktop with a lot of unneeded bling. Most of the usable stuff is hard to get to.

Dan does bring up a good point, too. The extensions do make it somewhat more usable, but at the same time it introduces a very big problem with Gnome shell. Just a version change in Gnome shell can break all of the extensions. Also, I have had an extension to break and prevent Gnome shell from even starting. An extension should be exactly that, an extension, not core functions.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:40 PM
Doug G Offline

windows_7firefox

Gnome 3's 'One application at a time' philosophy may be good for developers, programmers, etc., but doesn't work when you have a multi-vendor multi-client support business. I often have multiple vnc windows open to different sites, and the lack of a taskbar and desktop icons are a deal-breaker. I'm always bouncing around between windows and gnome 3 makes it difficult and more time-consuming to do so.

Thank you XFCE!
Old 15th May 2012, 04:44 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003chrome

I made peace with it. "It is what it is".

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite / Intel Core 2 Duo 1.73 GHz / 2GB / 160GB / Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME/943/940GML Integrated Graphics
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / 1TB SATA / 500GB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 15th May 2012, 04:47 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug G View Post
Gnome 3's 'One application at a time' philosophy may be good for developers, programmers, etc., but doesn't work when you have a multi-vendor multi-client support business. I often have multiple vnc windows open to different sites, and the lack of a taskbar and desktop icons are a deal-breaker. I'm always bouncing around between windows and gnome 3 makes it difficult and more time-consuming to do so.

Thank you XFCE!
It doesn't even work for developers/programmers, either. Have you ever looked at how many applications a programmer has open at one time and needs to switch between them? There are times when I have xterm windows open to 12 different mainframe systems at once, plus my development tools and editors. That makes a taskbar very important so that I can easily switch between them.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:55 PM
Dan Online
Administrator

linuxfedorafirefox

Well ... that pretty much covers the "why" of it.
Old 15th May 2012, 04:56 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxchrome

I liked G3 that much, as it was my LoveLock to Fedora.
If one (me) has to put like ~ 20 hrs to customize the desktop, which after that still doesnt do as one (me) wants, another DE is much preferable.
I prefer, taskbar, autostart to multiple desktops, with no additional sw.
Old 15th May 2012, 05:06 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Well ... that pretty much covers the "why" of it.

Does that mean the rants can start now? **Running, ducking and looking for cover**

I have actually tried to be good lately on my Gnome rants. Haven't let loose in quite awhile now
Old 15th May 2012, 06:16 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

I'm sure you can all guess what I clicked on...

As for why, I'm afraid I just agree with GNOME's design philosophy (for the most part, and when they really do go too far, it doesn't take long for a 'fix' to appear, one way or another). My work-flow adapted to the new design so quickly that I hardly noticed. Dynamic workspaces is something I've wanted for years – when I first switched to Linux back in 2000, multiple workspaces was an instant win, and it's nice not to find I've either ran out or got too many unused ones in the pager. I like the keyboard control far better than any other desktop shell I've used too. To be honest, I find it hard to understand many of the criticisms relating to excess clicks needed, or difficulty with multiple windows – these things just don't tally with my experience, but I guess it depends how you use your shell normally. There are other things I could mention, but it'd only bore you...

I'm a little suspicious of some of the discussed possible or up-coming features, but then I always am and try to reserve judgement until I've given them a try.
Old 15th May 2012, 06:35 PM
trekkie690 Offline

windows_7firefox

When i first got Gnome 3 w/Fedora 15 i was about to through fedora out the window and switch distro's. Then i calmed down and just gave it some time.
Now when im in windows i keep going to the corner and nothing happens :'(. I also noticed that i have change most of my desktops (to include work) to mimic how i have all my Gnome 3 desktops.
As for Cinnamon, i have tried it and its nice, it still has the gnome 3 things i like but maintained gnome 2 parts i like. overall i decided to stick with standard gnome 3 shell because i figure support is better and cinnamon needs some more time before its where i would want it (so like fedora 18 timeish).
Course my biggest grip with gnome 3 was they removed the desktop. Dont get me wrong i understand why, but i use my desktop as my primary directory to put stuff im working on cause its my desktop......but outside that i have overcome my originals grips i had when it first hit the distro