Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Using Fedora
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Using Fedora General support for current versions. Ask questions about Fedora that do not belong in any other forum.

Old 20th May 2012, 08:04 AM
Remington Offline

linuxfirefox
After Fedora 16 install: All Media players in both Fedora/Windows not playing DVD's

Hi, I'm kind of lost with this one. Right away: Installing the missing library files as proposed in other threads does not work for me.

I get the following error message in VLC:

Playback failure:
DVDRead could not open the disc "/dev/dvd".
Your input can't be opened:
VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd:///dev/dvd'. Check the log for details.

I get the following error message in movie player:

Could not read DVD. This may be because the DVD is encrypted and a DVD decryption library is not installed.

I get the following error message in Xine:

There is no input plugin available to handle "dvd:/ Maybe MRL syntax is wrong or file/stream source does not exist

Window Media Player tells me something about a copy protection.

Since this is a cross-platform and player issue I assume this has nothing to do with any missing lirbraries. DVD won't play under Windows either.

My system: I'm using a mid 2012 Macbook Pro 13". I have a Mat****a DVD drive that I flashed to be region free. It worked fine under MacOS with RegionX. After wiping my hard drive and installing Fedora and Windows the drive still works fine, it just does not play DVD's

Do you think this has something to do with flashing the firmware hack for my drive?
Old 20th May 2012, 09:23 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: After Fedora 16 install: All Media players in both Fedora/Windows not playing DVD

You're not allowed to play DVDs in your country ;-)

Does the device /dev/dvd exist? For some strange reason I only have /dev/dvd3 and /dev/dvd4.

Code:
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 3 May 15 18:28 /dev/dvd3 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 3 May 15 18:28 /dev/dvd4 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 3 May 15 18:28 /dev/dvdrw3 -> sr0
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 3 May 15 18:28 /dev/dvdrw4 -> sr0
As far as I understand Windows 7 doesn't support any RPC1 drives anymore.
Old 20th May 2012, 09:41 AM
Remington Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: After Fedora 16 install: All Media players in both Fedora/Windows not playing DVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
You're not allowed to play DVDs in your country ;-)
lol jeah pretty much... I tried it with DVD's from three different regions actually....

I just checked, but I do not have another device. The only one I have is /dev/dvd1. When I enter

/dev/dvd1

into the console I get the message "permission denied". When I enter this path in the vlc play disc menu, the drive warms up but I'm still not able to play the DVD.

As far as I can remember I could still play DVD's in Windows after flashing my drive. It just stopped after reinstalling Windows/Fedora on the wiped hard drive I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the drive itself since.

P.S. I'm actually quite new to Fedora. Just to giving you a feedback on my experience level
Old 20th May 2012, 11:27 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox

It has nothing to do with region coding. Actually you're not allowed to play any dvd with css copy protection not even from your own region ;-)

Please check your permissions

Code:
ls -l /dev/dvd? /dev/sr?
Old 20th May 2012, 11:48 AM
Remington Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
It has nothing to do with region coding. Actually you're not allowed to play any dvd with css copy protection not even from your own region ;-)
booo how many DVD's could have this css protection? I tried like 20 or so.... I'm kinda stubborn

ok, I just checked my permissions..

lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 3 May 20 10:48 /dev/dvd1 -> sr0
brw-rw----+ 1 root cdrom 11, 0 May 20 10:48 /dev/sr0

Can you help me interpret this output? I do not know what it means... yet. Still learning
Old 20th May 2012, 12:40 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Make sure you're a member of the cdrom group

As the user who is trying to play the DVD

groups

And see if cdrom is one of them.

One way to make sure it's not a permissions issue is to do

sudo vlc

Then, from the vlc interface, try to open the disk.

You might try installing the libdvdcss rpm from ATrpms.

http://packages.atrpms.net/dist/f16/libdvdcss/

That might help with the issue.
Old 20th May 2012, 12:54 PM
Remington Offline

linuxfirefox

Installing the libraries did not work, I already installed them all.

How do I check this cd-rom group and DVD user thingy?

edit, I checked sudo VLC and got this here:

VLC is not supposed to be run as root. Sorry.
If you need to use real-time priorities and/or privileged TCP ports
you can use vlc-wrapper (make sure it is Set-UID root and
cannot be run by non-trusted users first).

another edit: when i enter "groups" I get

(my name) wheel

And please note that this is a cross platform problem, I'm also not able to play DVD's from WIndows Media Player and Windows Media Center, neither with Windows VLC. I have a full Win 7 installation.. no virtual box or similar.

Last edited by Remington; 20th May 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old 20th May 2012, 04:13 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Assuming the DVD is definitely not defective....

I would think, if you've installed libdvdcss that the problem might be permissions. If you have mplayer then try with sudo, it should work

sudo mplayer -dvd-device /dev/scd0 dvd://

It looks to me like permissions though. Say your username is john, then do

sudo usermod -G cdrom -a john

Then, log out and log back in.
It looks as if you're not a member of the CDROM group, which has rights to that cdrom.

As for the Windows issues, I have no idea.

As a last resort, you can try using vobcopy to copy it to your hard drive and see if it works, that sometimes gets rid of regional stuff.

I would definitely complain to the manufacturer as well. You buy a DVD, it should be easier to play than a pirated edition, which of course, will work anywhere.
Old 20th May 2012, 04:32 PM
Remington Offline

linuxfirefox

hi, I could not use the first command. Used totem instead of mplayer, but it does not know the -device command.

I tried the sudo usermod, the command was accepted, but after logging in again it's still not working

Do you think I should reset my Drive firmware? As I said, I flashed it to be region free (I could always reset the number of region changes back to 5). Then I wiped the hard drive and reinstalled win and fedora, and now it won't play ANY DVD's. I tried several with several different country codes. Futurama is also not working, that was the last series I watched on my laptop before I reinstalled Fedora...
Old 20th May 2012, 04:48 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

I really don't know. I would first install mplayer from rpmfusion-nonfree, and then try with the command I gave. (Also, make sure that after doing the usermod that you are a member of cdrom.)

I also might try with a live install of Mint, which definitely includes proper codecs--say, run it on a USB. If that doesn't work, then I really don't know--I don't want to say yeah, flash the firmware, as I have no idea. I've never run into that problem, possibly because the one laptop with an optical drive that I bought that came with Windows was never booted into Windows. Whether that saved me WIndows software doing something, I really don't know. I'm sorry to be of so little help.
Old 20th May 2012, 05:08 PM
Remington Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
I really don't know. I would first install mplayer from rpmfusion-nonfree, and then try with the command I gave. (Also, make sure that after doing the usermod that you are a member of cdrom.)

I also might try with a live install of Mint, which definitely includes proper codecs--say, run it on a USB. If that doesn't work, then I really don't know--I don't want to say yeah, flash the firmware, as I have no idea. I've never run into that problem, possibly because the one laptop with an optical drive that I bought that came with Windows was never booted into Windows. Whether that saved me WIndows software doing something, I really don't know. I'm sorry to be of so little help.
Don't be sorry, it's really nice that you try it at least, thank you!

I think I'l first try to borrow my flatmates external drive to see if the DVD drive is the problem or just missing permissions, before trying something else.

---------- Post added at 04:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

ok, I tried with mplayer and console, here is the log, can you make something out of it?

Playing dvd://.
libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.11 for DVD access
There are 25 titles on this DVD.
There are 1 angles in this DVD title.

libdvdread: Attempting to retrieve all CSS keys
libdvdread: This can take a _long_ time, please be patient

libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB at 0x00000130
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.VOB (0x00000130)
libdvdread: Elapsed time 2
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB at 0x000003e6
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.VOB (0x000003e6)
libdvdread: Elapsed time 3
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB at 0x000162eb
libdvdread: Elapsed time 0
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB at 0x002e36b8
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_02_1.VOB (0x002e36b8)!!
libdvdread: Elapsed time 1
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB at 0x0030f73e
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_03_1.VOB (0x0030f73e)!!
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB at 0x00311d97
libdvdread: Get key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB at 0x00325568
libdvdread: Error cracking CSS key for /VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB (0x00325568)!!
libdvdread: Found 5 VTS's
libdvdread: Elapsed time 6
audio stream: 0 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 128.
audio stream: 1 format: ac3 (stereo) language: fr aid: 129.
audio stream: 2 format: ac3 (stereo) language: en aid: 130.
number of audio channels on disk: 3.
subtitle ( sid ): 0 language: da
subtitle ( sid ): 1 language: en
subtitle ( sid ): 2 language: fi
Old 20th May 2012, 05:57 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Ok, it looks as if is the CSS stuff. Do you definitely have libdvdcss.

Please do

rpm -q libdvdcss

and make sure you have it.
Old 20th May 2012, 06:01 PM
Remington Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Ok, it looks as if is the CSS stuff. Do you definitely have libdvdcss.

Please do

rpm -q libdvdcss

and make sure you have it.
Jeah, i got it:

rpm -q libdvdcss
libdvdcss-1.2.11-6.fc16.x86_64
Old 20th May 2012, 06:17 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Grr. In that case, frankly, I'm stuck. The only suggestions I can give you are to try with Mint, which is usually pretty good at playing stuff, or using vobcopy to pull it to your hard drive and see if that file can play.

Mount the dvd drive on mount then

vobcopy -m -i /mnt

Which will output a directory in your home directory with various VOB and other files in it. Then try with vlc ./<directory_name>
Old 21st May 2012, 04:29 PM
Remington Offline

windows_7ie

SOLVED!

The problem was the firmware of my drive. I ran Windows and flashed my drive with the original firmware. DVD's are running fine now! And the best thing of all: IT'S REGION FREE WITHOUT THE CRACKED FIRMWARE NOW!! It's just hilarious

I have no idea why, but I can tell you what I did. I'm really curious about it. So this is what I did

- bought Macbook and installed Win 7 64bit Bootcamp
- flashed my drive firmware with mat****aflasher in Bootcamp
- from now on used Region X in Mac OS to reset the region changes to 5 once they were all used.
- Then: formatted my hard drive entirely, installed Windows 7 64 bit and Fedora 16 64 bit,
- drive working, but not playing DVD- neither on Mac OS nor in Windows.
- Flashed drive Firmware in Windows back to the Original one via Mat****a flasher
- no I can play DVD's in both Windows and Fedora and have a Region free drive.

What the hell happened?

Last edited by Remington; 21st May 2012 at 04:34 PM.

Tags
dvd, fedora, fedora or windows, install, media, players, playing