I've been having troubles with yum recently. We've got several FC4 pc's here that all show a similar error:
http://archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/repodata/primary.xml.gz: [Errno -1] Metadata file does not match checksum
Trying other mirror.
Error: failure: repodata/primary.xml.gz from updates-released: [Errno 256] No more mirrors to try.
I googled about and did a fair bit of homework, asked colleagues here too.
What seems to be happening is:
- yum downloads this 'primary.xml.gz' file in un-zipped form
- the 'archives.fedoraproject.org' site seems to be delivering such .gz files in unzipped form to the downloader
- this is screwing up the checksum tests done by yum
- visit the http site in your browser: archives.fedoraproject.org/pub/archive/fedora/linux/core/updates/4/i386/repodata/
- Notice the file size of "primary.xml.gz" mentioned here is 299KB
- Download the file. Notice that your downloaded size is now 2MB
This behaviour isn't occuring on other sites with .gz files, just on this fedora archives site, so I'm suspecting something has changed with server settings there?
Anyway, thought I'd better mention it.