Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Community Lounge > Suggestions & Feedback
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Suggestions & Feedback Have suggestions, feedback or just plain questions regarding FedoraForum.org? Post them here. (We reserve the right to poke fun at you or just ignore them).

Old 28th May 2012, 04:02 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox
Can search find "3.3.7-1" and similar strings?

Is there a way to search the forum for posts with strings such as "3.3.7-1"? I saw several posts today that seem to involve problems with the kernel version, but I can't figure out how to make the Advanced Search of the forum find posts using that string as a keyword.
Old 28th May 2012, 05:22 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxubuntufirefox
Re: Can search find "3.3.7-1" and similar strings?

Did you look at Search --> Advanced Search? There are options to search for keywords matching "only titles" and "entire posts". The results could also be filtered in a wide variety of ways.

Personally though, I have had better success when I use google search box (above). Phrases within quotes have given me nice results generally. For example, this search with string "3.3.7-1".
Old 28th May 2012, 08:56 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
Did you look at Search --> Advanced Search?
There are options to search for keywords matching "only titles" and "entire posts".
Yes, as I said, I used Advanced Search. The problem isn't what part of the posts are matched. The problem is that Advanced Search can't find the string, even when searching "entire" posts.

Quote:
Personally though, I have had better success when I use google search box (above). Phrases within quotes have given me nice results generally. For example, this search with string "3.3.7-1".
You're right. That's a lot better than Advanced Search.
Old 31st May 2012, 04:29 PM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox

What's the syntax to make the Google search search the results by date, from most recent to oldest?
Old 31st May 2012, 04:38 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

No idea. I would like to know that too!

But then, I don't think it is possible to sort search results by date even in google.com. So, I am not sure if that will work here. Or is there a way to sort it in google?
Old 31st May 2012, 04:43 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showpo...44&postcount=8
Old 31st May 2012, 04:48 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

I knew about this. But, if I understand this right, it simply gives you results in that date range and not ordered chronologically.
Old 31st May 2012, 05:18 PM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonamedotc View Post
I knew about this. But, if I understand this right, it simply gives you results in that date range and not ordered chronologically.
I've tweaked the forum search to include an image search feature and the ability to search the results by "Relevance" or "Date"
Old 31st May 2012, 05:28 PM
nonamedotc Offline
Community Manager

linuxfirefox

Wow! That's great! Thanks Yellowman!

Tags
search