Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:37 AM
surja Offline

linuxfirefox
Problem running Acrobat Reader on Fedora 17

Installed Acrobat Reader from the Package Manager. Install went smoothly, but when i try to run it by clicking on its icon from Applications, nothing happens. When i try to run it from terminal by typing 'acroread', i get this message.

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"

How do i make acrobat reader work?
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:02 PM
plasmonics Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Problem running Acrobat Reader on Fedora 17

I followed MJM's instructions to set up acroread. It is working fine here.

Last edited by plasmonics; 2nd June 2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 02:15 PM
itsjustarumour Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by surja View Post
Installed Acrobat Reader from the Package Manager. Install went smoothly, but when i try to run it by clicking on its icon from Applications, nothing happens. When i try to run it from terminal by typing 'acroread', i get this message.

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"

How do i make acrobat reader work?
Sounds like you have a missing dependency. I had to download some 32-bit i.686 packages to get it to work. Try checking the dependencies - there are various ways of doing that both using the terminal and a graphical package manager. One easy way - for example if you're using the KDE Desktop - is to use the Apper utility:

1. Open Apper
2. Search for, and highlight, the package AdobeReader_enu (assuming you want the English-language version).
3. Click on the "More" drop-down arrow and select "Depends on".
4. Install any packages that are missing - these are most likely to be the "i686" packages.
5. If you still have problems, reinstall each package in turn.

If you can't locate a particular package to install it, use the "yum provides" command eg.

Code:
yum provides libXT
to find out what provides a particular package.

Hope this helps. Of course, you can do something similar using Yumex, or using terminal commands... whatever you prefer!
Old 2nd June 2012, 04:28 PM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by surja View Post
IGtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
That's the PackageKit GTK+ module. In F17 it's included in the PackageKit-gtk3-module package; there is no separate PackageKit-gtk-module any more, it appears (as there was in F16). You can install it via yum (as root):
Code:
yum install PackageKit-gtk3-module
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N

Tags
acrobat, fedora, problem, reader, running