Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2012, 07:05 PM
billybob linux Offline

linuxfirefox
Problem setting up SATA drive..?

Today i went into my local computer hardware store. I saw a SATA drive on offer and I bought it (250GB).
Now I should say I have always used IDE drives .

So, I installed the SATA drive and as you would expect, the desktop still booted from the IDE as normal.
I then attempted to set the drive up as the 1st boot device in the BIOS ( I know that sounds pretty pointless at this stage but I just wanted to see if it could be done and also to make sure that the BIOS could detect the drive).

The BIOS did detect the drive correctly as a SATA drive and reported the correct parameters for the drive.
However when I tried to change the boot device, that is the 1st boot device or primary, the SATA drive was not listed as an option on the BIOS drop down menu, the IDE drive was listed along with the floppy and if I recall correctly also the cd-rom.

Now, like I said I have never used SATA drives before, never needed to as I usually have a spare IDE somewhere, so maybe this is a no-brainer and I have missed something.

In short the BIOS can correctly detect the drive but does not list that drive as an option for primary boot.

I did have a trawl through some of the Forum posts and googled it, but nothing seemed to answer this (or I missed it).

Is this a BIOS specific problem or something that happens when you mix IDE and SATA, can you even boot from a SATA drive (I would think so but might be wrong) I have limited experience setting up drive configurations but I have never really had problems before unless the drive has been faulty , but in this case the drive appears to be working.
Old 5th June 2012, 05:49 AM
tashirosgt Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Problem setting up SATA drive..?

I think the answer to your question is specific to your motherboard (especially if it is an older one). If you give the exact model and a link to a PDF for the manual, perhaps someone can advise you.

As a generality, you should check what mode your SATA controller is set for. I don't know what will happen if it is set to RAID. If it's set to IDE or AHCI, I would expect both your drives to show up in the boot priority list.
Old 5th June 2012, 05:06 PM
billybob linux Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Problem setting up SATA drive..?

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I think it is BIOS/Motherboard specific. It's more of an annoyance than a real problem. I might put it in my windows machine and see how things go with that. Thanks

Last edited by billybob linux; 5th June 2012 at 05:13 PM.

Tags
drive, problem, sata, setting