Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:58 PM
Minato04 Offline

windows_7firefox
Fedora17 problem install BIOS-UEFI

Guys, i'm having problem here. Help please.

How can i boot the live cd in BIOS mode and not in EFI? Deleting the EFI folder in the USB stick doesn't work.

Any other suggestions there please?
Old 3rd June 2012, 08:49 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora17 problem install BIOS-UEFI

This depends on your computer so what kind of motherboard or notebook do you have?

Try to call the boot menu of your motherboard by pressing F11 or something like that. It will usually list the boot devices twice: USB and USB UEFI mode, so if you chose the first one it should load the BIOS compatibility module.
Old 3rd June 2012, 02:18 PM
Minato04 Offline

linuxsafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
This depends on your computer so what kind of motherboard or notebook do you have?

Try to call the boot menu of your motherboard by pressing F11 or something like that. It will usually list the boot devices twice: USB and USB UEFI mode, so if you chose the first one it should load the BIOS compatibility module.
Thanks for the reply. My laptop is an Acer 5560 and in the booting list there's nothing about usb or usb uefi. The problem is that even if i boot from the live cd it keeps on booting in efi mode and during the installation i cannot go on because is looking for the bootloader stage1 or other stuff like that of a typical efi configuration.

I've also tried deleting the efi folder from.the usb live, but this way it won't boot.
Old 3rd June 2012, 05:46 PM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

Look here.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=280343
I solved that identical problem running an Acer notebook ...
I didn't delete the whole folder, but only the proper file in the EFI/BOOT folder ... (I don't remember the correct name, but it contains the words bootx64 and efi) ...
After that the installation was quick and smooth ...
Old 5th June 2012, 04:40 PM
Minato04 Offline

macossafari

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiElle View Post
Look here.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=280343
I solved that identical problem running an Acer notebook ...
I didn't delete the whole folder, but only the proper file in the EFI/BOOT folder ... (I don't remember the correct name, but it contains the words bootx64 and efi) ...
After that the installation was quick and smooth ...
i'm sorry but after deleting bootx64.efi, it doesn't boot at all. I get stuck in a black screen with a blinking underscore.

How did you manage this problem?
Old 5th June 2012, 07:20 PM
srs5694 Offline

linuxfirefox

Some firmware implementations have problems booting from a GPT disk in BIOS mode unless the protective MBR is modified to include a "boot flag" on the 0xEE partition. I describe this problem in more detail here. That said, I don't know offhand if the Fedora live CD, installed to a USB flash drive, would have that issue. I do know that Fedora uses an extremely weird partitioning layout to make it work on both CDs and USB flash drives, and in both BIOS and EFI boot modes, and on both PCs and Macs. With all the contortions involved, it's inevitable that some systems will "fall through the cracks." IMHO, they'd have been better off creating multiple images for different types of computers.

It's conceivable that you could use UNetbootin to create a new disk image that would work better, but I can't be positive of that. It's worth a try, though.

Why do you want to boot in BIOS mode rather than in EFI mode? There may be some way to accomplish your goals that would work using an EFI-mode boot, if you can't boot in BIOS mode; or you might be able to do it with some other product that doesn't support EFI-mode boots at all.
Old 5th June 2012, 07:48 PM
Minato04 Offline

macossafari

PROBLEM SOLVED

PiElle gave me the right solution, but the usb itself was the problem. It worked after i used another one.
Old 6th June 2012, 07:29 AM
PiElle Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minato04 View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED

PiElle gave me the right solution, but the usb itself was the problem. It worked after i used another one.
Glad you too have solved the problem ...

---------- Post added at 06:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs5694 View Post
Some firmware implementations have problems booting from a GPT disk in BIOS mode unless the protective MBR is modified to include a "boot flag" on the 0xEE partition. I describe this problem in more detail here. That said, I don't know offhand if the Fedora live CD, installed to a USB flash drive, would have that issue. I do know that Fedora uses an extremely weird partitioning layout to make it work on both CDs and USB flash drives, and in both BIOS and EFI boot modes, and on both PCs and Macs. With all the contortions involved, it's inevitable that some systems will "fall through the cracks." IMHO, they'd have been better off creating multiple images for different types of computers.

It's conceivable that you could use UNetbootin to create a new disk image that would work better, but I can't be positive of that. It's worth a try, though.

Why do you want to boot in BIOS mode rather than in EFI mode? There may be some way to accomplish your goals that would work using an EFI-mode boot, if you can't boot in BIOS mode; or you might be able to do it with some other product that doesn't support EFI-mode boots at all.
The point is that our computers have an ordinary msdos partition table and run in BIOS mode ...

Tags
biosuefi, fedora17, install, problem