Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st June 2012, 10:50 AM
DaFoot Offline

linuxchrome
Gnome search broken after FC16->17 upgrade

Pre-upgrade to 17 I used to be able to use the "windows" key (what is the right name for that key?!) and type the name of a file for gnome to find and open it.

It isn't working since the upgrade.

I figured that maybe some service needs to index the file, so I found it through file explorer and opened that way. After saving it I was hoping the search/indexing service would have it so I would be able to locate it quickly again using the windows key approach.

No such luck.

Is this a matter of a service not being on that handles this or has that feature of Gnome 3 been removed in the latest version that came with FC17?
Old 1st June 2012, 02:33 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxsafari
Re: Gnome search broken after FC16->17 upgrade

The recently used .xbel file is used for that.
Try to delete it (it is either in .local/share or .cache), log out and in again, look if it now saves the history and you can search it.
Old 1st June 2012, 03:06 PM
DaFoot Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks for the suggestion.
Tried removing that file and logged out & in again but no joy. Opened a file, which was recorded in that file (which is now much shorter!), but after closing the file it still isn't picked up by the search.
Old 4th June 2012, 08:13 PM
gregor2005 Offline

linuxfirefox

hi,

i have the same problem and found this: http://askubuntu.com/questions/12824...shell-in-12-04
i install the tracker and journal extension but it is not the same behavior like in gnome 3.2

did you find a solution?

greetings
gregor
Old 6th June 2012, 09:56 AM
DaFoot Offline

linuxchrome

Looks like the search will return later in a Gnome update then according to that askubuntu thread. I'm not keen on adding an extension to try and implement something that should arrive through updates before too long (maybe - who knows who the gnome devs think!).

Tags
broken, fc16&gt17, fc16>17, gnome, search, upgrade