Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 13th June 2012, 01:11 AM
RupertPupkin Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: Chicken or the Egg (Mac OS or Gnome)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHamel View Post
I just finised loading up Redhat 6.1 (Cartman) on an old computer I had lying around. I noted it was using Gnome.

Why did I do this? I had the computer, and I had the disks. I blame Rupert.
Heh, in case anyone's wondering, he's referring to this thread on old distros. Red Hat 6.1 was pretty good, as I recall. I still have the official Red Hat 4.2 boxed set (bought at Borders) in my cabinet drawer, maybe I'll fire that up on an old Compaq Prolinea 486 I have laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareth Jones
Objective C support and Étoilé are both coming along nicely
I'd say more the former than the latter. Étoilé has gone from being both a desktop environment and a GUI development environment to just a GUI development environment: http://etoileos.com/downloads/
They're putting a hold on the desktop environment stuff until the underlying application frameworks are more settled. I suppose that's good, but it does seem like a step back from when they had a functioning desktop (albeit experimental and a bit unstable). There's nothing to look at right now. But I do think it has the best potential of all the desktop environments, if they can ever get it working right.

Tags
clone, gnome3, mac, windows 8