Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 12th June 2012, 11:59 PM
GrendelsDad Offline

windows_7chrome
Thumbs down Fedora 17 Won't Stop Installing!

I have tried installing Fedora 17 32-bit in 14G as a VirtualBox VM repeatedly but each time after system reboots it begins the process again over and over. I thought this might be a symptom with the Live version so I downloaded the full 3.8G iso file and the same thing happened again. Where am I going wrong or is this somehow a new release glitch?

Last edited by GrendelsDad; 13th June 2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:22 AM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 17 Won't Stop Installing!

During the reboot, remove the CD or DVD. Your BIOS is set to read that first, so if it's still in the tray, you'll repeat the process.
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 13th June 2012, 10:47 AM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

Yes, you need to tell the virtual machine to "eject" the virtual installation disc, or it'll just keep booting from it.
Old 13th June 2012, 02:30 PM
GrendelsDad Offline

windows_7chrome

When I first heard about making a CD/DVD from an iso I thought "THIS IS COOL!"
Then I began to think unless I plan to use this more than once...this is a waste so I began saving the installation to a file folder and running from there. This appears to be the one caveat from doing that...you can't eject the media when it says to.

Perhaps the end of the install program should say, "Eject media or otherwise divert the source before rebooting" or something to that affect!

Thanks ALL!
Old 13th June 2012, 03:51 PM
bob Online
Administrator (yeah, back again)

Location: Colton, NY; Junction of Heaven & Earth (also Routes 56 & 68).
linuxfirefox

LOL, well that's got it fixed anyway. And, the REAL reason for burning a CD/DVD is so that you can pass it around to all your friends when you're done...or simply load it in their machine while they're not looking (gotta get linux above 1% somehow) .
Registered Linux User #362651

Don't use any of my solutions on working computers or near small children.
Old 13th June 2012, 04:09 PM
GrendelsDad Offline

windows_7chrome

Thanks Bob,
My approach is to make my Virtual Machines available to my students BEFORE class one. There will be Fedora, OpenSUSE and Ubuntu VMs for students to copy to their storage device (whatever their host machine). I'm planning to teach comparable distributions using a generic Unix/Linux text with instructor-written lab exercises. Students will learn the theory (from the text/lecture) then the implementation from the lab. 90% of the lab will be spent on command-line instruction with 10% exploring the 'right' distribution and desktop for them.
By skipping the install phase initially, we hop directly into chapter three to get their feet wet. Midterm, I will host an InstallFest on a non-class day where time restrictions are not an issue.
I plan to cover confirguring Apache and other apps on one machine (probably Fedora).
Old 13th June 2012, 08:16 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
LOL, well that's got it fixed anyway. And, the REAL reason for burning a CD/DVD is so that you can pass it around to all your friends when you're done...or simply load it in their machine while they're not looking (gotta get linux above 1% somehow) .
Passing the install disk around to 6 billion people won't ever change that 1% figure. Its a report on SALES, not USE or INSTALLATIONS.

According to steve balmer, Linux has more USER share than apple!
http://www.osnews.com/story/21035/Ba...tor_than_Apple

Tags
fedora, installing, stop, won't