Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora Resources > Guides & Solutions (No Questions)
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Guides & Solutions (No Questions) Post your guides here (No links to Blogs accepted). You can also append your comments/questions to a guide, but don't start a new thread to ask a question. Use another forum for that.

Old 10th June 2012, 12:59 AM
David Batson Offline

linuxopera
TrackPoint Middle Button Scrolling

It seems like every new release breaks my old method of doing things. I've had to revisit and edit this topic a number of times. This time I feel I've almost gone round circle with an xorg configuration file. Credit goes to sillav who posted this solution a couple of weeks ago. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=280107

I repost sillav's solution (with a minor edit) as I feel this topic deserves its own thread.

Create the following file as root:
Code:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-thinkpad-trackpoint.conf
Put the following content in that file:
Code:
Section "InputClass"
	Identifier	"Trackpoint Wheel Emulation"
	MatchProduct	"TPPS/2 IBM TrackPoint|DualPoint Stick|Synaptics Inc. Composite TouchPad / TrackPoint|ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint|USB Trackpoint pointing device|Composite TouchPad / TrackPoint"
	MatchDevicePath	"/dev/input/event*"
	Option		"EmulateWheel"		"true"
	Option		"EmulateWheelButton"	"2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"false"
	Option		"XAxisMapping"		"6 7"
	Option		"YAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection
This is also posted down the list of possible solutions at www.thinkwiki.org (I was using the xinput method in F16, but cannot get that method to autostart in F17).
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...nt#xorg.conf.d
Old 16th June 2012, 10:25 AM
Kalram Offline

linuxfirefox
Thumbs up Re: TrackPoint Middle Button Scrolling

Thanks a lot, switching from Ubuntu to Fedora today, it's exactly what I needed!
A clean and efficient way to enable TrackPoint scrolling
Old 7th July 2012, 02:22 AM
maxpro4u Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: TrackPoint Middle Button Scrolling

on my a31 all hotkeys are working using fedora 17 lxde! they do not using any flavor of debian.
Old 17th March 2013, 03:52 PM
jbkt23 Offline

linuxfirefox

I'm using F18 on my thinkpad x40 and have spent a lot of time figuring out which method listed in the thinkwiki works and finally found the same solution posted by David to work. I even searched this forum but I used 'tap to select' as the terms and that never pulled up any results. Tap to select is the other fearture I use with my trackpoint, the solution that works is the following:

Create a file named 10-trackpoint.rules in /etc/udev/rules.d/
In that file insert the following text:

# This file enables trackpoint tap per Thinkwiki

SUBSYSTEM=="serio", DRIVERS=="psmouse", ATTR{press_to_select}="1", ATTR{sensitivity}="150", ATTR{speed}="110", ATTR{inertia}="6"

and save. The text above except for the description after "#" is all on one line.

I think the tap feature will work almost as soon as you save the file but if not log out and back in again.
The think wiki describes this but there are several diffent variations of the text found there and I had to do some trial and error before the above was confirmed to work.
David, if you don't mind I think the title of this guide should be 'Trackpoint Scoll and Tap Config', it would then be clear that it covers just about everything you need to configure the stub.
Old 24th October 2013, 06:08 AM
jonascampos Offline

linuxchrome

Hello David Batson,

Your file.conf worked fine for me but I have an extra question, Touchpad is always enabled when I login into my Fedora session, what can I do in order to get it disabled always?
Old 24th October 2013, 09:27 AM
David Batson Offline

macossafari

Fn + F8 toggles the TouchPad on and off for me. It stays in whatever state I leave it.

If that doesn't work for you, see the following for another method to try.
http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=267052
Old 13th January 2014, 11:27 AM
christux Offline

linuxfirefox
Question Re: TrackPoint Middle Button Scrolling

Hey,

can some one tell me from where I get the configuration options for a specific device,
like in this case for the TrackPoint.

In the xorg.conf manual page stands nothing about "EmulateWheel; EmulateWheelButton; etc"
so from where can I get usually this information?

Thanks in advance!

best regards, chris
Old 13th January 2014, 04:46 PM
David Batson Offline

windows_7opera

See the folllowing: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...the_TrackPoint

You use the xinput command to find these things.
Old 13th January 2014, 05:16 PM
christux Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Batson View Post
See the folllowing: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/How_to...the_TrackPoint

You use the xinput command to find these things.

Perfect, thank you david!
Old 1st March 2014, 12:34 AM
jbkt23 Offline

linuxfirefox

After hibernate the trackpoint tap to select was not working so a little research on "archlinux" I found the format for a solution.
I had been manaully reactivating tap by the following that I found on the thinkwiki

Quote:
udevadm test /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1
So on Archlinux I found in their hibernate section a bit describing how to create scripts that would be launched by systemd. Following their format I created a script called "root-resume.service" that I placed in /etc/systemd/system/ and made executable with this content:
Quote:
[Unit]
Description=Local system resume actions
After=hibernate.target

[Service]
Type=simple
ExecStart=-/sbin/udevadm test /sys/devices/platform/i8042/serio1

[Install]
WantedBy=hibernate.target
You then issue the command as root:

systemctl enable root-resume.service

This created the links from the hibernate.wants

After doing this and resuming from hibernate the tap to select worked. I would recommend that you consult the Archlinux site and read more on the hooks you can create and their options. I'm sure there are other daemons that could be restarted with a variation on the above.

Tags
button, middle, scrolling, trackpoint