Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 20th May 2012, 11:38 PM
midair5 Offline

linuxfirefox
Muting Speakers When Headphones Are Plugged In

How do I get the speakers to mute when the headphones are plugged into the front jack. Currently, if I plug in the headphones I get audio out of both. I can't find any switch on kmix or alsamixer that enables this. I've attached the output of alsa-info.sh.

Thanks

Mike
Attached Files
File Type: txt alsa-info.txt (34.8 KB, 141 views)
Old 21st May 2012, 12:41 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome
Re: Muting Speakers When Headphones Are Plugged In

Doesn't answer your question but in Pulseaudio Volume Control, yum install pavucontrol if you don't have it, you can select which output is used.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:57 AM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox

Pavucontrol should have a mute button for each output too. Far more useful than alsa-mixer I think.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:18 AM
marriedto51 Offline

linuxfirefox

For my laptop, doing the following fixed this.

Run
Code:
alsamixer
in a terminal, press F6 and choose the sound card (probably entry '0'), then use the right arrow to get to the switch labelled "Auto-Mute", and the up arrow to make Auto-Mute be Enabled. Press Escape to get out of the ALSA mixer.

(Once done, this setting seems to persist after reboots etc.)
Old 21st May 2012, 03:08 PM
midair5 Offline

linuxfirefox

Niether one helps. pavucontrol has no way to mute one or the other. And alsamixer has no switches, that I can see. I've attached screen shots of alsamixer.

Also, this is a dual boot computer and Windows can mute the speakers automatically when the headphones are plugged in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot3.png
Views:	185
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	23116   Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot2.png
Views:	154
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	23117  
Old 21st May 2012, 08:05 PM
marriedto51 Offline

linuxfirefox

From your screenshots, it looks like there may be some more options to the right of those displayed (I'm looking at the column of '>' signs). Is there anything useful if you keep pressing the right arrow?
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:11 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by midair5 View Post
Niether one helps. pavucontrol has no way to mute one or the other.
In the output device tab select the output, speakers or headphone, top right has 3 icons, the left one is mute. Click on it and the output is muted.
Old 22nd May 2012, 12:59 AM
midair5 Offline

linuxfirefox

Marriedto51, I goofed up the screenshots, the second one was supposed to show the last two options, "Input Source [Mic]" and "Input Source 1 [Mic]". Those didn't seem too useful anyway.

ozjd, pavucontrol only mutes both if I hit that icon you refer to. If I select "Analog Headphones" from the port dropdown tab, it shuts everything off without even hitting the mute button. I'm missing something in the configuration, I just can't see what it is. I was able to do this on an old HP laptop with F13, but I'm having a hell of a time with F16.
Old 22nd May 2012, 01:14 AM
ozjd Offline

linuxchrome

Try different options in the configuration tab.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by marriedto51 View Post
For my laptop, doing the following fixed this.

Run
Code:
alsamixer
in a terminal, press F6 and choose the sound card (probably entry '0'), then use the right arrow to get to the switch labelled "Auto-Mute", and the up arrow to make Auto-Mute be Enabled. Press Escape to get out of the ALSA mixer.

(Once done, this setting seems to persist after reboots etc.)
This appears to be dependent on the type of sound card. On my desktop only the internal analogue audio shows this option. The external usb card doesn't. My laptop doesn't have it either. Useful where it is available. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 19th June 2012, 01:38 PM
borlander Offline

linuxchrome

Sorry to resurrect this thread...

I'm having the very same problem. Audio card is: 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)

Problem happens in both F16 KDE and F16 XFCE. I guess it's a pulseaudio issue since Archlinux, which uses plain ALSA, works just fine (under both KDE and XFCE).

I believe muting speakers upon inserting headphone's jack should be kind of the default behaviour... in fact it's been so for many years and it still is when using plain ALSA.

Any clue about how to do this when using Pulseaudio?

Thanks so much,
Miguel
Old 19th June 2012, 09:44 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

My Intel audio did indeed default to automuting the speakers when the headphones are plugged in (I know from F14 on up to F17 it has been) I have gone in and changed the switch on one of my machines upon every installation so that I could use both at the same time (I just leave my headphones plugged in on that machine, and turn off the speakers when I don't want sound from the speakers)

Edit:

Audio on the above mentioned machine:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
Old 20th June 2012, 09:05 AM
rohanimb Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

if you reduce volume in sys tray, u will not get sound in machine speaker but your headphones will get sound..i think the sound system is given like 0 - 50% sound will work fine with headphones, if you increase morethan 50% then your computer speaker will activate for sound.
Old 20th June 2012, 09:56 AM
borlander Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
My Intel audio did indeed default to automuting the speakers when the headphones are plugged in (I know from F14 on up to F17 it has been) I have gone in and changed the switch on one of my machines upon every installation so that I could use both at the same time (I just leave my headphones plugged in on that machine, and turn off the speakers when I don't want sound from the speakers)

Edit:

Audio on the above mentioned machine:

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
What's your "default" option so that automuting works? I can do as you say and manually select either speakers ("analog speakers" switch) or headphones ("analog headhpone"), but not both and definetely no automuting...

Maybe it's an issue with my audio card specifically...
Old 20th June 2012, 09:45 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

in the pulseaudio settings, as the hardware profile, I have Analog Stereo Duplex, and on the Output tab, Analog Output for the connector.

The run alsamixer from the terminal.

I have to switch the default device to the HDA Intel device (You can hit F6 to select the device). Once I select the correct device, I have the automute setting if I use the right arrow to get to the options that don't fit on the first screen.
Old 21st June 2012, 10:45 AM
borlander Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks so much, DBelton!

Playing with alsamixer's automuting thing has done the trick. It was disabled and I've changed it to "Headphone+Speaker".

Now automuting works and, best of all, I've learned something :-)

All in all, I've just installed F17 and automuting works out-of-the-box, no alsamixer thing necessary.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Tags
headphones, muting, plugged, speakers