Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 22nd June 2012, 08:15 PM
rwgast Offline

linuxchrome
Installing the Electronics Lab Packages on KDE Spin

Ok so I have been using the KDE Spin lately I just HATE Gnome and I needed a box up and running quick for embedded development so i decided to stray from gentoo and straight Debian is just well eck anything where the install wants to connect to wifi and doesnt support wpa2 well thats ridiculous

Anyways just making the point that I havent used a rh distro since mandrake 6 but Im really liking the FC'17 Kde Spin. The only issue Im having is I want all the compatibility and scripts that come in the electronics lab spin... Now I have looked into installing all the packages it seems a bit time consuming.... The only way I have figured out how to do this is to run YumeEx or Yum and install each one from this list http://chitlesh.fedorapeople.org/FEL/list.html Is there maybe an easyer way to get the whole group of packages at once? Maybe some sort of list I can import into a package manager or something like that?
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:30 PM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Installing the Electronics Lab Packages on KDE Spin

Hi rwgast,

You can install packages as groups. To get a list of groups:
Code:
yum grouplist
To get a list of packages in a specific group:
Code:
yum groupinfo "Electronic Lab"
To install the group Electronic Lab:
Code:
su -
yum groupinstall "Electronic Lab"

Since this is the spins & remixes forum:
To add a group to a kickstart for a spin or remix, add the group name with "@" in front of the name under the %packages.:
Snippet of a .ks:
Code:
%packages
@Electronic Lab
Hope this helps,

Last edited by AndrewSerk; 23rd June 2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 23rd June 2012, 01:35 AM
rwgast Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks alot Andrew that seemed to work, yum groupinstall "Electronic Lab". How can I browse all group names supported in yum? Id like to get some of the other spin packages.

Also does that command download every package that comes with the electronics lab? I have used electronics lab before and there was a program called tk gate which im not seeing in my KDE menus, and I thought KiCad came with the spin but I could be mistaken. I can download that stuff seperate if needed no biggie I just weant to make sure I have all the little scripts that make the export to import processes easier.

---------- Post added at 12:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 AM ----------

Ok im sorry tkgate and kicad are installed there just not showing up in the KDE menu. It seems as though there are only certain tools showing up in the Kmenu is there a way to fix this? Id really like to browse through everything installed and find usefull things I didnt know about!
Old 23rd June 2012, 02:18 AM
AndrewSerk Offline

linuxfirefox

Hi rwgast,

Looking through the electronic-lab spin kickstart, the spin has a few more things:
the group:
milkymist

and the packages:
dia
vym
graphviz
planner
make
gdb
valgrind
kdbg
qemu
perl-Test-pod
perl-Test-Pod-Coverage

I am not very familiar with KDE, but I would guess the package "alacarte" can help fix/edit your menu issues.

Quote:
How can I browse all group names supported in yum?
With the first line of code in post #2

Hope this helps,

Last edited by AndrewSerk; 23rd June 2012 at 02:29 AM.

Tags
electronics, installing, kde, lab, packages, spin