Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 29th June 2012, 12:10 AM
ANSCCPL

linuxfirefox
Connecting to Steam account forever

Hello.
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this problem but I really need some help.
I'm trying to install Steam on Fedora 17 (64-bit; GNOME).
I first installed WINE and then installed Steam. I inserted my log-in info and then it starts connecting to Steam Account [User-name]. Forever. Perpetually. OR it just disappears. Forever. Perpetually.
I've tried to fix this, really:
- Used Winetricks (did everything that's in this page_forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=169544);
- Used Play on Linux (which installed some fonts and deleted some dll files that (supposedly) could compromise Steam);
- Installed Tahoma font and TransGaming ActiveX Control (did everything that's in this page_fedorasolved.org/gaming-solutions/installing-steam-using-wine/);
- Did everything that's in this page (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...on&iId=19444);
- Disabled SElinux;
- Renamed ClientRegistry.blob to ClientRegistryOld.blob;
- Deleted ClientRegistry.blob
- Made sure I hadn't any of the programs that could interfere with steam (https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...28-SFLZ-9289);
- Renamed another file (I'm sorry, I can't remember what file, but someone recommended that one of the forums);
- Deleted that file;
- Re-installed Fedora (“clean” install) various times trying to combine those steps in different ways;
- Reconfigured my router;
- Restarted the computer various times;
- Logged off, restarted, powered off the computer (in this order, without interruptions);

I can open Steam on Windows (this computer) and on OS X (computer of a friend).
My computer's info:
● 3 GB of memory;
● Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU T5870 @ 2.00GHz × 2;
● Graphics: Mobile Intel® GM45 Express Chipset;
● HD: 314,4 GB.

I just want to play Portal 2! (and uninstall Windows.)
Thank you.
Old 30th June 2012, 10:34 PM
StyxD Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Connecting to Steam account forever

I had the same problem, but I don't guarantee I'll be of any help to you, since I had a peculiar situation.

I had 32-bit wine installed on 64-bit machine. Logging into Steam used to hang indefinitely in the way you describe, until I installed 32-bit version of mesa-dri-drivers (wine doesn't pull 3d graphics drivers by default, it seems).

Steam runs normally since then.

But that assumes you have 32-bit wine and use mesa drivers.
Old 1st July 2012, 12:58 AM
ANSCCPL

linuxepiphany
Re: Connecting to Steam account forever

Hello and thank you.

In "Add/Remove Software" app I can only find Mesa-based DRI drivers for 64-bit machines (which are already installed). Where did you get those drivers?

UPDATE: I've already found them. I'll try them and then I'll post if it worked or not.

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 AM ----------

It worked!!!
One interesting fact: I have WINE for 64-bit machines and I installed 32-bit version of mesa-dri-drivers for steam to work. Do you know what that means? It means that I can finally play Portal 2 on linux. (AND uninstall windows.) THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Last edited by ANSCCPL; 1st July 2012 at 12:31 AM.

Tags
account, connecting, forever, steam