Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 1st July 2012, 11:05 PM
redsteakraw Offline

linuxfirefox
Exclamation AMD APU HDMI output discolored on Toshiba HDTV FC17

I have used other distros in the past and haven't had any problems with the HDMI output to my Toshiba 52HM84 TV. I have been using a Samsung HDTV as a secondary screen without problems. I did have problems with outputting the sound over HDMI but I found the solution(enabling it in the grub conf). I am using an ASUS netbook with a AMD c-60 APU. The problem is that when I use my Toshiba TV the output is discolored it is reddish purple hue. To my knowledge it is only this TV but am worried if this is a bigger problem. I tried changing the Hue on my KDE color settings but it only changes the laptop screen and not the HDMI output. The HDMI output was working great on OpenSuse and Magea so I don't know where the issue is a bug relating to Fedora. I am currently using Beefy FC 17 KDE x87-64 and am using the stock gallium drivers(they were also used on the other distros). I don't want to use the closed source drivers. Does anyone have a clue to what may be the problem and how to fix it?
Old 1st July 2012, 11:14 PM
stevea Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: AMD APU HDMI output discolored on Toshiba HDTV FC17

FWIW my Sony TV has a config for a PC input on an HDMI and this mostly seems to adjust the hue/color.

I'm not sure how he KDE (or other) tools pick the interface to adjust when you have two screens. Maybe there is a tweak there somewhere.
Old 2nd July 2012, 02:50 AM
redsteakraw Offline

linuxfirefox

The problem is that It only has one HDMI port and it is used for my cable box, I can't just change the colors without it effecting my cable box when I plug the HDMI cable back. Optimally there is some X setting I could modify. I also fear that If I go to some new place that I would have the same problem.
Old 3rd July 2012, 06:33 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox

This is NOT a hue problem. It is a COLORSPACE problem. Your TV is expecting something like YCbCr, your radeon is sending it sRGB.

Out of TWO HDMI TV's I have connected to, ONE of them gets so pissed off with Radeon that it complains "input not supported", the other will work normal, UNTIL the display is sent into powersave mode -- when it comes back, it gets the purple problem. Turning it off and then back on resets the colors to normal.

Edit: Try booting with radeon.audio=0 (disable audio) and see if the color problems go away. Just a test, I know you need audio over HDMI.

Last edited by droidhacker; 3rd July 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old 5th July 2012, 10:44 PM
redsteakraw Offline

linuxsafari

I edited the boot option and turned the hdmi audio off. The colors are the back to what they should be. Another thing I noticed is when booting it up with the hdmi audio on grub has regular colors but as soon as the kernel is loaded black turns to green. So the problem starts before X and has something to do with the HDMI being enabled. Any suggestions on how to possibly fix this while still having hdmi audio?
Old 6th July 2012, 04:46 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox

http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...702#post155702
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...704#post155704
http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...727#post155727

Please note that agd5f... Alex Deucher, works for AMD on the radeon OSS driver.
To translate the above, its broken and we don't know how to fix it.
Old 6th July 2012, 05:42 PM
redsteakraw Offline

linuxsafari

Magea worked and they had it turned on by default maybe they have a patch that fedora could merge into their branch.

Tags
amd, apu, discolored, fc17, hdmi, hdtv, output, toshiba