Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th July 2012, 10:02 PM
fickle Offline

windows_7chrome
Angry EVGA-GeForce GT 520 HDMI sound

I need to know if anyone has successfully gotten sound to work using the EVGA-GeForce GT 520 video card connected with HDMI to an hd tv on any flavor of linux on any desktop.

It matters not what flavor of linux you used. I just want to know if it works for someone. If so I'll give it another shot but for now I don't think the sound is working in Linux for this card. I would ask nvidia's forums/support but they are down for maintenance.

Basically I was trying to set up a machine to use MythTv and I was hoping to use HDMI to play back video I recorded. I never got to the MythTv set up because I can't get sound even though the video works great.

I maxed out all of the volumes unmuted everything (including on the tv), tried random suggestions from the web, made sure I had the latest alsa, and finally I gave up. Unless I hook up external speakers I'm not going to get sound. BTW - everything seemed to be set up correctly. The video card and sound was being detected properly.

At this point I'm thinking about installing Windows 7 (gasp) on this machine and using Media Player (gasp) for the DVR features. I hear it works fairly well. However, I'm a geek and I want to use MythTv in Linux.

Thanks!
Old 5th July 2012, 08:56 AM
george_toolan Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: EVGA-GeForce GT 520 HDMI sound

Which driver did you install for your video card? The free nouveau driver or the proprietary nvidia driver?

Have you tried a different cable?

In the Gnome Sound Settings you should be able to test your speakers in the Hardware tab.

If everything else fails you should be able to use a DVI input on your tv and connect your internal sound card to your tv with an analog cable ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdmi_audio.png
Views:	182
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	23362  

Last edited by george_toolan; 5th July 2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 5th July 2012, 05:04 PM
fickle Offline

windows_7chrome
Thumbs up Re: EVGA-GeForce GT 520 HDMI sound

I am using the proprietary driver. Someone else on another thread had mentioned the same problem but hadn't posted that it had been solved. They updated their driver and it worked. I thought I had updated it when I installed the card but then I realized I hadn't because the video was working. Since I hadn't connected the HDMI cable yet I didn't really think about it. Here it is a week later and I thought I did update. Duh.

So I am going to update my drivers. Hopefully that will resolve the issue. I haven't tried a different cable but if the driver update doesn't work I will take the cable and use it on my other TV hooked up to my boxee.

As a side note that other TV has it's own issues. Every so often I have to unplug and plug the tv power back in when my sound craps out using the boxee. But that's not the TV I'm having issues with. I'm using a brand spanking new Insignia hd tv not the old and almost busted Westinghouse hd piece of crap I bought from a friend.

Yep I tested the gnome sound settings. I made sure things were unmuted, I maxed out volumes etc. Then I went to alsa mixer which showed the digial out for the hdmi as it should. I even looked at the volume meters and saw the bars move. I made sure that was umuted. I also tried some other suggestions I found around the web including suggestions from alsa about nvidia (I would post the link but I'm on another computer... if someone wants the link I can post it later). Everything looked like it was correct from the troubleshooting tips.

Since I didn't see any confirmations that people got it to work I thought I would ask.

Yeah I was at the point of frustration and was about to get external speakers for the TV but I really didn't want to since it's occupying the top of my dresser where there isn't a lot of room. I do know that the onboard sound card works. (BTW I disabled that in the BIOS as well when I was debugging)

So hopefully the update will work when I try it again when I am home.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by george_toolan View Post
Which driver did you install for your video card? The free nouveau driver or the proprietary nvidia driver?

Have you tried a different cable?

In the Gnome Sound Settings you should be able to test your speakers in the Hardware tab.

If everything else fails you should be able to use a DVI input on your tv and connect your internal sound card to your tv with an analog cable ;-)
Old 7th July 2012, 09:43 PM
fickle Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: EVGA-GeForce GT 520 HDMI sound

Eureka it works!!! I needed to update my nvidia drivers. Apparently I hadn't done an update in a while and thought I had. I have no concept of time. Duh.

What I actually did was take the time to do a fresh install on a new bigger and shinier hard drive. I updated fedora then installed nvidia. Initially it didn't work so I had to do this:

alsamixer - unmuted all outputs for digital out

Then I ran this command
aplay -l

and got this output:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

When I ran this command I finally heard sound!!

speaker-test -c 2 -D plughw:0,7

My next problem is getting sound from Fedora to work but I'll figure that out. At the very least I have sound now

Thanks everyone.

Tags
520, evgageforce, hdmi, sound