Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 19th June 2011, 10:00 AM
whyMe Offline
Banned

linuxfirefox
Question access to fedora from windows....?

i've fedora 15 & windows vista installed on hard disk partitions....i can access windows files from fedora but how to view fedora files when i'm working on windows......???
Old 19th June 2011, 01:31 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox
Re: access to fedora from windows....?

Windows can't access ext4 formatted drives (ext4 is the default for F15)

There are a few drivers available that allow access from windows, but I wouldn't recommend using them.

There is ext2fsd which works only on ext4 that has extents disabled. (extents is a big plus, so I would never recommend to disable them.)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

There is ext2read which is pretty much a standalone program and not a driver ,but is reported to work rather well, although I think it is read-only access to the ext4 drive.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/
Old 19th June 2011, 03:47 PM
CSchwangler Offline

linuxopera

Probably the easiest way to access files from both systems is to have a separate partition formated as FAT or NTFS, since both Fedora and Windows could access this partition.
Old 19th June 2011, 09:59 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

You are correct, CSchwangler. When I ran my dual boot systems, I always has a drive formatted NTFS that wasn't a system drive so I could easily move data between systems.

I still had the occasional "Oops, that file is on my fedora drive" moments and had to reboot into fedora to access it, But to me that was much better than risking my data to the windows drivers to access a ext drive.

Now, I don't have any windows systems, the only windows I run is under virtualbox. All of my machines are running linux now, so this is no longer an issue for me
Old 19th June 2011, 10:24 PM
bodhi.zazen Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Windows can't access ext4 formatted drives (ext4 is the default for F15)

There are a few drivers available that allow access from windows, but I wouldn't recommend using them.

There is ext2fsd which works only on ext4 that has extents disabled. (extents is a big plus, so I would never recommend to disable them.)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/

There is ext2read which is pretty much a standalone program and not a driver ,but is reported to work rather well, although I think it is read-only access to the ext4 drive.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2read/
Well, by default Fedora uses LVM, so it may not be so easy.

I agree with a shared NTFS data partition as has been suggested by others.
Old 20th June 2011, 01:45 AM
whyMe Offline
Banned

linuxfirefox
Question Re: access to fedora from windows....?

so, is it better to reboot than accessing fedora files from windows.......?
Old 20th June 2011, 02:12 AM
smr54 Offline

linuxchrome

No, not really. As was said, one thing you can do is create, assuming you have disk space, a new partition that will be mounted in both Fedora and Windows. NTFS is probably the best choice, as Fedora can easily read from it, and, as far as I know, write to it as well. (I haven't put Windows on a shared machine in over a year, so I could be wrong on that.)

If the disk is already used up, you can use something like gparted to make a partition smaller.

WARNING--making a partition smaller takes some time, and there is always risk of data loss. In contrast, enlarging a partition is usually relatively quick.
Old 20th June 2011, 02:20 AM
whyMe Offline
Banned

linuxfirefox
Talking Re: access to fedora from windows....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
No, not really. As was said, one thing you can do is create, assuming you have disk space, a new partition that will be mounted in both Fedora and Windows. NTFS is probably the best choice, as Fedora can easily read from it, and, as far as I know, write to it as well. (I haven't put Windows on a shared machine in over a year, so I could be wrong on that.)

If the disk is already used up, you can use something like gparted to make a partition smaller.

WARNING--making a partition smaller takes some time, and there is always risk of data loss. In contrast, enlarging a partition is usually relatively quick.
ohkkk......i got it.....^_^
Old 20th June 2011, 02:21 AM
Duplode Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
Indeed; for several years I have, from Fedora, used an NTFS partition to keep my music collection and other parts of my personal data, and never had any issues.
Old 20th June 2011, 02:55 AM
whyMe Offline
Banned

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duplode View Post
Indeed; for several years I have, from Fedora, used an NTFS partition to keep my music collection and other parts of my personal data, and never had any issues.
i'm planning to do the same.....thx....^_^
Old 20th June 2011, 03:11 AM
Chilly Willy Offline

linuxfedorafirefox

An external HD may be a viable alternative, as well...

By its very nature, Windows is a PANE!
Old 20th June 2011, 03:14 AM
whyMe Offline
Banned

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Willy View Post
An external HD may be a viable alternative, as well...
i'm too lazy to buy one.....
Old 9th July 2012, 09:19 AM
DaneM Offline

linuxfirefox
Lightbulb Possible Solution for LVM

Sorry for the "necromancy," but I found this thread on Google while trying to access my Fedora 17 installation (with LVM) from Windows 7. Since this might be a problem for others who read/post on this thread, I'll post my possible solution. I'll be trying this, myself, soon enough, and will post back if it works. (Other feedback is appreciated, of course.)

Explore2FS:
http://www.chrysocome.net/explore2fs

This is read-only, but for my purposes, I think this will be fine. I have a separate drive for stuff I find important, so this would only be for grabbing the occasional file I need to see in Windows, in my case. It remains to be seen whether it can read ext4 (recent versions are said to support it), but since ext4 is more-or-less just ext3 with added robustness (as I understand it), I don't think read-only access will be a problem. At least, ext2fsd can handle it OK (read/write), minus the LVM and journaling.

I hope this helps someone else who sees this thread and needs an answer.

--Dane
Old 9th July 2012, 02:30 PM
LongTimeDabbler Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duplode View Post
Same here.
Old 9th July 2012, 04:31 PM
Gareth Jones Offline
Official Gnome 3 Sales Rep. (and Adminstrator)

linuxfirefox

I used to use Explore2fs way back. It was one of the first solutions to this problem. I don't think it's been actively developed for several years though, so it'll almost certainly fail with Ext4. Ext4 normally uses a file allocation concept called "extents" (usually – it doesn't have to, but that was the defining upgrade over Ext3), which older programs are unlikely to be able to read.

I haven't tested it personally, but Ext2Read that DBelton linked to above looks like a more modern tool with a similar goal to Explore2fs – a stand-alone tool that doesn't give Windows full access to the file-system like a driver would.

Tags
data, fedora 15, gnome3, installation, windows