Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 7th June 2012, 02:07 PM
bluezImage Offline

linuxchrome
F16 installation slowly degrading

Hi,

I have been running Fedora 16 on a Dell Studio 17 laptop for several months now. I did a clean install of this release to ensure that I would have a relatively reliable OS for my development work. I have been generally satisfied with this distribution but lately I dread incorporating any updates into the system because I never know what new problems will arise. This anxiety is particularly intense when I install a new kernel version.

The other day I upgraded to the 3.3.7-1.fc16.x86_64 kernel. I had been having problems with having to log in two times and losing bluetooth mouse connection after a system suspend. So I am was hopeful that a system update would fix these issues. But now, with the new updates, I have lost my network icon and I will arbitrarily lose my network connection - both wired and wireless, and the problems with logging in two time and bluetooth are still there.

This is the information written to /var/log/messages at the time of my lost network connection:

Jun 7 07:41:22 mrRoboto NetworkManager[1069]: dbus_g_proxy_begin_call: assertion `!DBUS_G_PROXY_DESTROYED (proxy)' failed
Jun 7 07:41:22 mrRoboto NetworkManager[1069]: nm_supplicant_info_set_call: assertion `call != NULL' failed
Jun 7 07:41:41 mrRoboto NetworkManager[1069]: <info> (eth1): roamed from BSSID 00:25:9C:24:97:75 (Handyman1) to (none) ((none))
Jun 7 07:41:47 mrRoboto NetworkManager[1069]: <info> (eth1): roamed from BSSID (none) ((none)) to 00:25:9C:24:97:75 (Handyman1)
Jun 7 07:42:05 mrRoboto NetworkManager[1069]: dbus_g_proxy_begin_call: assertion `!DBUS_G_PROXY_DESTROYED (proxy)' failed
Jun 7 07:42:05 mrRoboto NetworkManager[1069]: nm_supplicant_info_set_call: assertion `call != NULL' failed
Jun 7 07:42:11 mrRoboto NetworkManager[1069]: <info> (eth1): roamed from BSSID 00:25:9C:24:97:75 (Handyman1) to (none) ((none))
Jun 7 07:42:17 mrRoboto NetworkManager[1069]: <info> (eth1): roamed from BSSID (none) ((none)) to 00:25:9C:24:97:75 (Handyman1)

Can anyone help me out with this problem? If I can't fix this issue, my system is totally useless to me.

p.s. I would enter a bug. But the last two times I put in a bug for losing my bluetooth I got no response whatsoever. This is surprising because I have been using Fedora since version 4 and I always got good response to my bugs in the past.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your help!
Old 7th June 2012, 02:12 PM
sea Offline
"Shells" (of a sub world)

linuxchrome
Re: F16 installation slowly degrading

Have you tried booting an older kernel?
Repo (sea-devel) :: Text User Interface (TUI), Video Handler Script (VHS), efi-helper, grub2-circled-nasa-themes, Essentials (blame, p, rmtf, rnd, siggen, screenshot...), (BETA) Dev-Scripts, (BETA) Fedora Account Scripts (FAS)
Old 7th June 2012, 02:31 PM
bluezImage Offline

linuxchrome

I have tried booting the last two kernels as well. I still lose my network connections after I have been logged in for some (short) amount of time. This did not happen with these two kernels before my updates.

Thanks for you reply.
Old 7th June 2012, 03:11 PM
greno Offline

linuxchrome

Maybe try booting the F17 Live CD and see if that improves things.

Old 7th June 2012, 04:10 PM
bluezImage Offline

linuxchrome

I did try booting F17 Live CD. But I had no bluetooth mouse or wireless network support. I thought that this is because the drivers were not activated. I did however see a network icon.

I am tempted to upgrade to F17 using the Live CD however I am apprehensive because my previous installations on this dual boot machine (Window 7) used the MBR which fell short or the new /boot space requirements. I used the prescribed tricks to install 16 with the limited MBR. And I was fully expecting to have to go through this again. But I just did a check and found the following:

# df -h /boot
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda5 497M 97M 376M 21% /boot

It appears that the boot space is now sufficiently sized to handle the newer releases. But it's strange because I don't recall doing anything to resize this.

Can someone verify that I have sufficient space in the /boot to upgrade from F16 to 17? If so, I think I take a chance on upgrading.

Thanks!
Old 7th June 2012, 04:17 PM
greno Offline

linuxchrome

I sized mine to 500M and it was fine:

# df -h /boot
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 483M 81M 377M 18% /boot

Old 7th June 2012, 04:35 PM
bluezImage Offline

linuxchrome

greno,

Great. Did you use Live CD to upgrade? I ask because I have read some disquieting remarks about upgrading using the preupgrade and I wonder if I'll run into similar problems with the Live CD method as well. I don't want to do a clean install because I have a couple of IDE's configured as well as other critical software I would rather not reinstall.

Thanks.
Old 7th June 2012, 04:39 PM
greno Offline

linuxchrome

No. I installed from the full DVD iso and then migrated everything over from my previous install.

Would be nice if preupgrade could be fixed to work properly.

Old 13th June 2012, 04:39 PM
bluezImage Offline

linuxchrome

I used Live Update to do a fresh install of F17 on my Dell Studio 17 laptop and it worked flawlessly. Prior to the upgrade, I did a full backup of my user directory in a F16 session using Deja Dup. Once 17 was running I simply did a restore to get back all my data and app settings. I installed some applications that I did not backup(databases, IDE's, web servers, etc.) and I was back in business.

This has been the smoothest and quickest upgrade that I can remember in a long time. (I have been using Fedora since version 4) My compliments to the developers. F17 is great!
Old 11th July 2012, 12:47 PM
zarteg Offline

linuxfirefox

I have the same issues with 16 on my laptop Acer with Atheros card.\Annoying.
Reboot fixes it, but that feels way to M$ like.
I have always had better luck with the odd numbers of Fedora.
I will try loading 17 and from here on out will stick with odd numbered Fedora installs.

Tags
degrading, f16, f16 update, installation, network connection, slowly