Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 8th July 2012, 11:46 PM
ppyvabw Offline

linuxchrome
Installing an old Labtec Webcam

Hi,

I was hoping I could install a very old Labtec Webcam on Fedora 17. I am not even certain what model of cam I have.

Any step-by-step instructions would be appreciated because I am not very well versed with Linux yet - I just get by.
Old 9th July 2012, 05:51 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Installing an old Labtec Webcam

Plug it in and the see what the output of

PHP Code:
# tail -f /var/messages

# lsusb -v

# cat /proc/bus/input/devices 
tells you, then use google to see if there are any solutions.
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 9th July 2012, 03:21 PM
jlpierce Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve View Post
Plug it in and the see what the output of

PHP Code:
# tail -f /var/messages

# lsusb -v

# cat /proc/bus/input/devices 
tells you, then use google to see if there are any solutions.
That first line should be tail -f /var/log/messages and not tail -f /var/messages
Old 9th July 2012, 11:47 PM
ppyvabw Offline

linuxchrome

Thanks,

A load of stuff comes up, but I think the thing I'm looking for is this little lot,

Code:
I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=0929 Version=0000
N: Name="spca561"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0
S: Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/input/input10
U: Uniq=
H: Handlers=kbd event10 
B: PROP=0
B: EV=3
B: KEY=100000 0 0 0 0 0 0
spca561 comes up on google, but I can't find anything useful to me that I understand.
Old 11th July 2012, 11:07 AM
johncena Offline
Banned

windows_xp_2003firefox

For all those trying to debug problems with their original Labtec webcams (like the one above), I have a little hint. These webcams are admittedly a bit old. Some had 640×480 resolution, but most maxed out at 352×288. The original 0921 (ICM532 / 046d) chipset and hardware had very little low-light sensitivity and bad depth-of -field. Come to think of it, why the hell would you want to get this working in the first place ?!?

Anyway, Labtec’s new webcam drivers (10.X+) aren’t compatible with these old units. They’re not even mentioned on their site. If your heart is set on using these units, there is a trick to getting them to function. You must first unplug this old camera, and uninstall all labtec webcam drivers. Then, get an old copy of a Labtec webcam driver, and install that. Version 5.1 came with my camera originally, but I used version a 6 driver for this test. These are still floating around on the web. Hunt for them. Once installed, plug-in camera. You should get an image. Next, install the latest Labtec Webcam Drivers from their website (10.X+ at this time). DO NOT UNPLUG THE CAMERA. The new software will overwrite the old version, but keep the working driver. If you still have problems, update your DirectX version before installing your latest Labtec software.

Or, just go spend 40 bucks and get a new one. So much nicer. And this time, stay away from Labtec (if you actually find one) or Logitech (same stuff, actually) and goofy drivers won’t be a problem again.
Old 11th July 2012, 02:29 PM
DBelton Offline
Administrator

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncena View Post
For all those trying to debug problems with their original Labtec webcams (like the one above), I have a little hint. These webcams are admittedly a bit old. Some had 640×480 resolution, but most maxed out at 352×288. The original 0921 (ICM532 / 046d) chipset and hardware had very little low-light sensitivity and bad depth-of -field. Come to think of it, why the hell would you want to get this working in the first place ?!?

Anyway, Labtec’s new webcam drivers (10.X+) aren’t compatible with these old units. They’re not even mentioned on their site. If your heart is set on using these units, there is a trick to getting them to function. You must first unplug this old camera, and uninstall all labtec webcam drivers. Then, get an old copy of a Labtec webcam driver, and install that. Version 5.1 came with my camera originally, but I used version a 6 driver for this test. These are still floating around on the web. Hunt for them. Once installed, plug-in camera. You should get an image. Next, install the latest Labtec Webcam Drivers from their website (10.X+ at this time). DO NOT UNPLUG THE CAMERA. The new software will overwrite the old version, but keep the working driver. If you still have problems, update your DirectX version before installing your latest Labtec software.

Or, just go spend 40 bucks and get a new one. So much nicer. And this time, stay away from Labtec (if you actually find one) or Logitech (same stuff, actually) and goofy drivers won’t be a problem again.

I do believe you are a little confused.

They are not trying to get their webcam working on a Windows machine. They are trying to get it to work on a linux machine, which as far as I know was never supported by Labtec and they certainly didn't have linux drivers or software available.

Oh, and it's kinda hard to update DirectX on a linux box.. It's a Windows only thing. Has something to do with proprietary copyright stuff that Microsoft won't release so open source developers wrote better stuff

Tags
installing, labtec, webcam