Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 4th June 2012, 10:05 AM
mbfortuna Offline

linuxfirefox
can't change LCD brightness no matter of what I do

Hi,
here I am with another post. I'm trying to change my LCD's brightness since 2 months and no mather what I do, I can't change it. The Fn+F5/F6 issue is OK but the brightness stays the same. I tried yum reinstall bash and I got this message: Paquets installed bash-4.2.24-1.fc16.x86_64(after updates) indisponibles.
I tried with xbacklight and nothing so I uninstalled it. After reinstalling... nothing.
Can anyone help me?

PS: the solutions posted here didn't work

Last edited by mbfortuna; 5th June 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Old 5th June 2012, 10:55 AM
Tohie Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: can't change LCD brightness no matter of what I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfortuna View Post
Hi,
here I am with another post. I'm trying to change my LCD's brightness since 2 months and no mather what I do, I can't change it. The Fn+F5/F6 issue is OK but the brightness stays the same. I tried yum reinstall bash and I got this message: Paquets installed bash-4.2.24-1.fc16.x86_64(after updates) indisponibles.
I tried with xbacklight and nothing so I uninstalled it. After reinstalling... nothing.
Can anyone help me?

PS: the solutions posted here didn't work
You need to edit /etc/default/grub with your favourite editor and in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX you need to add "acpiosi=Linux" and "acpi_backlight=vendor" obviously without the quotes just add it after the other options on that line make sure it's in the quotes too. Then run su -c 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' to update your grub config

As an example here is my GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 SYSFONT=True KEYTABLE=uk rd.luks=0 rd.lvm.lv=vg_scott-fedora/lv_root rd.lvm.lv=vg_scott-fedora/lv_swap LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet acpi_backlight=vendor acpiosi=Linux"

Obviously don't copy and paste that though!

Last edited by Tohie; 5th June 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 5th June 2012, 11:17 AM
mbfortuna Offline

linuxchrome

Hi Tohie,
thanks for your answer that resolves the problem with Fn+F5/6. The problem was that even the FN+F5/6 worked, the breightness satyed the same.
I resolve my problem today installing a new bash. I downloaded it and installed manually than everything became allright.
I'll set as RESOLVE.
yours
Mauricio
Old 13th July 2012, 11:57 PM
cortinaantonio Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohie View Post
You need to edit /etc/default/grub with your favourite editor and in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX you need to add "acpiosi=Linux" and "acpi_backlight=vendor" obviously without the quotes just add it after the other options on that line make sure it's in the quotes too. Then run su -c 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' to update your grub config

As an example here is my GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 SYSFONT=True KEYTABLE=uk rd.luks=0 rd.lvm.lv=vg_scott-fedora/lv_root rd.lvm.lv=vg_scott-fedora/lv_swap LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet acpi_backlight=vendor acpiosi=Linux"

Obviously don't copy and paste that though!
Hello , tried this an no effect. When I use kernel 3.1.0-7 , everything is fine. Any other kernel 3.4.2-1 or 3.4.4-4 the screen boots and stays dim. The controls give the impression that I am changing the brightness but nothing doing. I also tried adding a line to the rc.local file I created and still no change. Went into the Brightness file and the value was set to maximum. I have tried almost everything I have read on this matter and still no change. Reinstalling bash had no change either.

I am using the nouveau driver , I formatted and tried from scratch(again), just in case I clobbered it somehow. Well, it is not me this time , soon as the kernel updates ... dim .. any suggestions woud be greated appreciated.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:00 AM
Tohie Offline

linuxopera

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortinaantonio View Post
Hello , tried this an no effect. When I use kernel 3.1.0-7 , everything is fine. Any other kernel 3.4.2-1 or 3.4.4-4 the screen boots and stays dim. The controls give the impression that I am changing the brightness but nothing doing. I also tried adding a line to the rc.local file I created and still no change. Went into the Brightness file and the value was set to maximum. I have tried almost everything I have read on this matter and still no change. Reinstalling bash had no change either.

I am using the nouveau driver , I formatted and tried from scratch(again), just in case I clobbered it somehow. Well, it is not me this time , soon as the kernel updates ... dim .. any suggestions woud be greated appreciated.
Have you tried setpci? Try "sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=FF". If that works you may want to bind it to your hotkeys with gksu.
Old 14th July 2012, 12:16 AM
cortinaantonio Offline

linuxchrome

Quote:
Have you tried setpci? Try "sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=FF". If that works you may want to bind it to your hotkeys with gksu.
Hello Tohie

Thanks for the reply. Got setpci: Warning: No devices selected for "F4.B=FF". Also , I am puzzled why under the kernel that I am using , I don't need to bind. Perhaps I am still too new to understand properly.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortinaantonio View Post
Hello Tohie

Thanks for the reply. Got setpci: Warning: No devices selected for "F4.B=FF". Also , I am puzzled why under the kernel that I am using , I don't need to bind. Perhaps I am still too new to understand properly.
I should have started with , I have a Dell Precision m90. Running fedora 16 32 bit. Again , if I choose any kernel other the the original, screen is dim from the splash screen. Unable to increase. It may flicker a little to bright but right back to dim setting and NO WAY TO CHANGE IT.
Old 7th August 2012, 02:08 AM
lunarwire Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Worked for me on a Samsung laptop - thank you so much!

Tags
brightness, change, lcd, matter