Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
  #1  
Old 4th June 2012, 10:05 AM
mbfortuna Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Strasbourg
Posts: 6
linuxfirefox
can't change LCD brightness no matter of what I do

Hi,
here I am with another post. I'm trying to change my LCD's brightness since 2 months and no mather what I do, I can't change it. The Fn+F5/F6 issue is OK but the brightness stays the same. I tried yum reinstall bash and I got this message: Paquets installed bash-4.2.24-1.fc16.x86_64(after updates) indisponibles.
I tried with xbacklight and nothing so I uninstalled it. After reinstalling... nothing.
Can anyone help me?

PS: the solutions posted here didn't work

Last edited by mbfortuna; 5th June 2012 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 5th June 2012, 10:55 AM
Tohie Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wales
Posts: 2
linuxfirefox
Re: can't change LCD brightness no matter of what I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfortuna View Post
Hi,
here I am with another post. I'm trying to change my LCD's brightness since 2 months and no mather what I do, I can't change it. The Fn+F5/F6 issue is OK but the brightness stays the same. I tried yum reinstall bash and I got this message: Paquets installed bash-4.2.24-1.fc16.x86_64(after updates) indisponibles.
I tried with xbacklight and nothing so I uninstalled it. After reinstalling... nothing.
Can anyone help me?

PS: the solutions posted here didn't work
You need to edit /etc/default/grub with your favourite editor and in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX you need to add "acpiosi=Linux" and "acpi_backlight=vendor" obviously without the quotes just add it after the other options on that line make sure it's in the quotes too. Then run su -c 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' to update your grub config

As an example here is my GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 SYSFONT=True KEYTABLE=uk rd.luks=0 rd.lvm.lv=vg_scott-fedora/lv_root rd.lvm.lv=vg_scott-fedora/lv_swap LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet acpi_backlight=vendor acpiosi=Linux"

Obviously don't copy and paste that though!

Last edited by Tohie; 5th June 2012 at 11:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 5th June 2012, 11:17 AM
mbfortuna Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Strasbourg
Posts: 6
linuxchrome
Re: can't change LCD brightness no matter of what I do

Hi Tohie,
thanks for your answer that resolves the problem with Fn+F5/6. The problem was that even the FN+F5/6 worked, the breightness satyed the same.
I resolve my problem today installing a new bash. I downloaded it and installed manually than everything became allright.
I'll set as RESOLVE.
yours
Mauricio
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 13th July 2012, 11:57 PM
cortinaantonio Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mexico
Posts: 2
linuxfirefox
Re: can't change LCD brightness no matter of what I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohie View Post
You need to edit /etc/default/grub with your favourite editor and in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX you need to add "acpiosi=Linux" and "acpi_backlight=vendor" obviously without the quotes just add it after the other options on that line make sure it's in the quotes too. Then run su -c 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' to update your grub config

As an example here is my GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="rd.md=0 rd.dm=0 SYSFONT=True KEYTABLE=uk rd.luks=0 rd.lvm.lv=vg_scott-fedora/lv_root rd.lvm.lv=vg_scott-fedora/lv_swap LANG=en_US.UTF-8 rhgb quiet acpi_backlight=vendor acpiosi=Linux"

Obviously don't copy and paste that though!
Hello , tried this an no effect. When I use kernel 3.1.0-7 , everything is fine. Any other kernel 3.4.2-1 or 3.4.4-4 the screen boots and stays dim. The controls give the impression that I am changing the brightness but nothing doing. I also tried adding a line to the rc.local file I created and still no change. Went into the Brightness file and the value was set to maximum. I have tried almost everything I have read on this matter and still no change. Reinstalling bash had no change either.

I am using the nouveau driver , I formatted and tried from scratch(again), just in case I clobbered it somehow. Well, it is not me this time , soon as the kernel updates ... dim .. any suggestions woud be greated appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 14th July 2012, 12:00 AM
Tohie Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Wales
Posts: 2
linuxopera
Re: can't change LCD brightness no matter of what I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortinaantonio View Post
Hello , tried this an no effect. When I use kernel 3.1.0-7 , everything is fine. Any other kernel 3.4.2-1 or 3.4.4-4 the screen boots and stays dim. The controls give the impression that I am changing the brightness but nothing doing. I also tried adding a line to the rc.local file I created and still no change. Went into the Brightness file and the value was set to maximum. I have tried almost everything I have read on this matter and still no change. Reinstalling bash had no change either.

I am using the nouveau driver , I formatted and tried from scratch(again), just in case I clobbered it somehow. Well, it is not me this time , soon as the kernel updates ... dim .. any suggestions woud be greated appreciated.
Have you tried setpci? Try "sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=FF". If that works you may want to bind it to your hotkeys with gksu.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 14th July 2012, 12:16 AM
cortinaantonio Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mexico
Posts: 2
linuxchrome
Re: can't change LCD brightness no matter of what I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohie View Post
Have you tried setpci? Try "sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=FF". If that works you may want to bind it to your hotkeys with gksu.
Hello Tohie

Thanks for the reply. Got setpci: Warning: No devices selected for "F4.B=FF". Also , I am puzzled why under the kernel that I am using , I don't need to bind. Perhaps I am still too new to understand properly.

---------- Post added at 06:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cortinaantonio View Post
Hello Tohie

Thanks for the reply. Got setpci: Warning: No devices selected for "F4.B=FF". Also , I am puzzled why under the kernel that I am using , I don't need to bind. Perhaps I am still too new to understand properly.
I should have started with , I have a Dell Precision m90. Running fedora 16 32 bit. Again , if I choose any kernel other the the original, screen is dim from the splash screen. Unable to increase. It may flicker a little to bright but right back to dim setting and NO WAY TO CHANGE IT.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 7th August 2012, 02:08 AM
lunarwire Offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Limerick, Ireland
Posts: 3
linuxfirefox
Re: can't change LCD brightness no matter of what I do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tohie View Post
You need to edit /etc/default/grub with your favourite editor and in the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX you need to add "acpiosi=Linux" and "acpi_backlight=vendor" obviously without the quotes just add it after the other options on that line make sure it's in the quotes too. Then run su -c 'grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg' to update your grub config
Worked for me on a Samsung laptop - thank you so much!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brightness, change, lcd, matter

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Can't change the brightness Jalovcan Hardware & Laptops 20 13th May 2013 05:42 PM
Cannot Change Backlight Brightness M11x R1 MintyFresh Hardware & Laptops 0 6th January 2012 03:07 PM
Not possible to change brightness rac0701 Hardware & Laptops 5 29th July 2011 08:09 PM
Map Fn keys to change brightness fedorer Hardware & Laptops 1 6th December 2009 01:14 AM
How to change screen brightness ? (fc10) cuban_cigar Using Fedora 4 21st September 2009 03:48 AM


Current GMT-time: 15:12 (Thursday, 30-10-2014)

TopSubscribe to XML RSS for all Threads in all ForumsFedoraForumDotOrg Archive
logo

All trademarks, and forum posts in this site are property of their respective owner(s).
FedoraForum.org is privately owned and is not directly sponsored by the Fedora Project or Red Hat, Inc.

Privacy Policy | Term of Use | Posting Guidelines | Archive | Contact Us | Founding Members

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2012, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

FedoraForum is Powered by RedHat
San Antonio de la Cal Instagram Photos - Botosani - Nioro du Rip