Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 31st May 2012, 07:38 PM
pnelsonsr Offline

windows_7chrome
F17 preupgrade install has weird kernel setup

I decided to try out the preupgrade install for a non-important (kids system) upgrade from F16 to F17. Just to see how it works. Well it all went well except for a couple things:

1. For some reason when the upgrade was complete it didn't auto start autofs. Not a big problem just reset the systemctl enable autofs.service and a reboot and this time it was working.

2. When rebooting it still has the F16 (kernel-PAE-3.3.6-3.fc16 & kernel-PAE-3.3.7-1.fc16) kernels listed in the grub menu defaulted to kernel-PAE-3.3.7-1.fc16. OK so I select the kernel-PAE-3.3.7-1.fc16 and during the sign in for the encrypted drive it shows a kernel-PAE-3.3.7-1.fc16 kernel, but at the login it shows kernel-PAE-3.3.7-1.fc17 kernel. When I run uname -r it shows 3.3.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE. So what kernel is really running? Yeah I guess its 3.3.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE but where is 3.3.7-1.fc17.i686.PAE? Should I uninstall kernel-PAE-3.3.7-1.fc17 and then reinstall it?
Old 1st June 2012, 09:45 PM
muteki Offline

linuxfedorafirefox
Re: F17 preupgrade install has weird kernel setup

I have exactly the same issues about autofs and still using fc16 kernel (I guess it's the same so it may not really matter in this case). In addition, I noticed many of my preferences (default browser, keyboard shortcut) got reset as well.
Old 1st June 2012, 10:11 PM
Ashrb Offline

linuxfirefox

I had this issue as well. I managed to solve it by using this command

Code:
sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg
uname -r now says I'm running the Fedora 17 version, but atm I have yet to restart my computer to see if it shuts down properly

http://superuser.com/questions/43029...dora-16-kernel - where I got the information from to fix it for me.

EDIT: I restarted my computer and it shutdown fine. Also, when you start the computer GRUB gave me an error, then my monitor said 'Out of Range', and then Fedora booted. I'll try and find a way to fix this

Last edited by Ashrb; 2nd June 2012 at 08:01 AM.
Old 2nd June 2012, 08:09 PM
pnelsonsr Offline

windows_7chrome
Unhappy Re: F17 preupgrade install has weird kernel setup

I tried the

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

and this did create a grub that I can use to boot into F17 kernel. But... It didn't really create a grub menu that is in the form of a Fedora grub menu. The menu that got created shows simply:

Fedora Linux
Advanced options for Fedora Linux

What I would expect from a Fedora grub menu would be something like:

Fedora (3.3.7-1.fc17.i686.PAE)
Fedora (3.3.7-1.fc16.i686.PAE)
Fedora (3.3.6-3.fc16.i686.PAE)

These are the kernel packages installed. I've since notice a bunch of other problems with this preupgrade install. There seems to be problems with SELinux and some other kernel settings dumping errors in the message log.

I'm going to try a DVD install on another system and see if I get a better idea of what things should look like and compare that to the preupgrade install.

Although preupgrade seemed to go well I'm concerned that there are problems that I've seen and others I have not even found yet. Will update here on the compare.

Oh I did do a diff of the old grub.cfg from f16 and this new one from the preupgrade and the one from grub2-mkconfig. The F16 does seem a lot different, so I wonder if the Fedora kernel installs do something different.
Old 17th July 2012, 06:24 PM
pnelsonsr Offline

windows_7chrome

Sorry forgot about this one... Well after many f17 kernel updates this problem has gone away. I never did get an answer on how to do it manually, but whatever the update (and old kernel removal) process is it get rid of the old entries.

Tags
f17, install, kernel, kernels, preupgrade, setup, weird