Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 25th July 2012, 09:21 PM
acidzebra Offline

windows_7firefox
FC16 question about CIFS/NFS mounts and default mount options

Hi all,

I'm troubleshooting some CIFS and NFS mounts, and I've noticed that when I mount a server share (e.g. mount -t cifs -o username=whatever //server/share /mnt/mountpoint) and then do a mount command to list my mounted filesystem these mounts will have a great number of default options added from somewhere:

for CIFS I get these options added "for free":
rw,relatime,sec=ntlm,unc=\\server\share,username=w hatever,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=ser verIP,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,nounix,serverin o,rsize=61440,wsize=65536,actimeo=1

for NFS:
rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,namlen= 255,hard,proto=tcp,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,mou ntaddr=serverIP,mountvers=3,mountport=58956,mountp roto=udp,local_lock=none,addr=serverIP

This is great and all but I would like to turn it off for testing purposes. Or at any rate turn off specific options. But I've poked around in /etc and online (worse than useless - tons of people trying to figure out how to mount something) and I haven't the foggiest where these defaults are coming from? It's really quite vexing, I enjoy the control I have over my OS and these unwelcome defaults are ruining my fun

I would be most grateful for any enlightenment, specifically:
a) where do these defaults come from
b) where can I override them

Thanks!

Tags
cifs, cifs or nfs, default, fc16, mount, mounts, nfs, options, question