I have an old laptop, on which I have installed Fedora 17 LXDE spin (32+ bit) recently. It seems to be working fine so far. But I would love to get the best out of this old laptop by installing some regular packages/applications that I always do whenever I install a new version of Fedora on my regular pc which happens to be having much better hardware resources in terms or processor, RAM, HDD etc. I have often heard people saying that they have an old machine with little resources and they are getting bst out of it by installing a specific distro exclusively designed for old computers. I would try to test that belief to my own satisfaction with your help. Here are my laptop configurations.
- Intel® Celeron® M processor 360
- Windows® XP Home Edition
- 40 GB Hard Disk Drive
- 256 MB DDR RAM
- 15 " TFT colour display
I have increased the RAM to a total of 512 MB, but I can't increase it any more. So I have to install a distro that works well with 512 MB and forum members recommended Fedora 17 LXDE spin (32+ bit) so I installed it. The rest of the specifications remain the same as mentioned above. I would love to do the following with this distro ie Fedora 17 LXDE spin (32+ bit). Please let me know as to what I can and what I can't do with this Fedora LXDE spin considering the low hardware configurations that my laptop has as mentioned above. The things I want to do are listed/numbered below.
1. Programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby. so I need to install various opensource IDEs such as NetBeans, Eclipse etc. Will I be able to run these IDEs on this laptop?
2. Create office documents using LibreOffice suite.
3. Design PHP, MySQL websites using Drupal CMS.
4. Create sample Oracle databases using a free version of the same if there is one. This is important as I ocassionally teach opensource enthusiatics at open souce workshops etc.
5. Burn DVDs.
6. Editing images, although not that demanding or professionally good stuff. Just for fun.
7. Will I be able to install other DEs such as KDE, Gnome or Xfce considering the fact that I have only 512 MB of RAM that too DDR type?
8. Run MS Windows applications, for that I need Wine package, right? Will it be able to run all the popular MS Windows applications? Is there an official list of the applications supported by Wine?
Thanks a lot.