R3v0lut10nary Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora18 Schedule & Feature List

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBelton View Post
Justifying it to whom? Mickey Mouse?

I can just imagine the dialog now...

We need what?

A guided tour, you know, just like Windows does. Since we are trying to copy Windows, we need a disk hungry, processor munching, totally useless application so we we can remain in the competition.

I thought we did that with Gnome 3 shell?

We did, but this is the icing on the cake. The coup de grāce. The whipped cream on the banana split. With this feature, we will be one more step closer to being a Windows clone!

Mmmmm.. I love banana splits.. Approved!

Edit:

Actually, this does say a lot about their redesign of Gnome for "ease of use" if they feel they now need a guided tour so that people can find their way around. Let me see. People have been using Gnome for what?? 12-13 years or so without needing any kind of guided tour until they did their redesign of the desktop.
Am I fixin' to have to switch to BSD or a different Linux distribution?
Old 26th July 2012, 01:48 AM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Nope. Just a different desktop. I suspect if you stick to Gnome and go to another distro, sooner or later, their Gnome will be the same.
Old 26th July 2012, 03:24 AM
R3v0lut10nary Offline

linuxfirefox

I already use KDE. So I guess the Gnome Tour won't affect me.

However, Fedora is starting to cheese out on us with stuff like this.
Old 26th July 2012, 05:44 AM
sonoran Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
but this is the icing on the cake. The coup de grāce. The whipped cream on the banana split.
Makes me hungry for the cherry on top...
Old 26th July 2012, 09:18 AM
Yellowman

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Their reasoning for completely removing tree view??

"It is the list view after all. Tree models don't work well on touch and it isn't consistent with the file chooser."

However, in past versions, the user could select to use tree view or not. Let the $^%$&# touch screen users select not to use it, and leave it in for others that do want it.
I don't give a damn what they do as I have my own plans for a new/forked file manager for F18

https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo
Old 26th July 2012, 08:50 PM
R3v0lut10nary Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Mint is the most annoying distribution.
Old 26th July 2012, 08:55 PM
deanej Offline

linuxchrome

Why? I was thinking of trying it. It seemed to work well with with the Mint/MATE live USB I made.
Old 26th July 2012, 11:35 PM
R3v0lut10nary Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

It works, it's just.... a few reasons. One of which is I don't like gnome much, especially gnome 3, and Mint's fork Cinnamon doesn't do much for me either. To get into the other stuff would have nothing to do with F18/Rawhide and the admins would probably kill me with fire....
Old 6th August 2012, 02:25 PM
Dutchy Offline

linuxfirefox

Gnome 3.6 gets a beefier disks utility!
A preview of Gnome Disks 3.6

I think the mentioned features are pretty satisfying and impressive improvements.
Let's hope they will also bring back other useful features that they've sacrificed before (Gnome wide that is).
Old 9th August 2012, 12:35 AM
vein Offline

macossafari

While a certain amount of this is superfluous for us, the tour isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO. The desktop/laptop to tablet transition is going to make Gnome shun anything that won't work for a touch interface. To be honest, few tablets will be running any form of linux any time soon I think. Touch interfaces on desktops and laptops will be coming soon enough, but those have their own growing pains in terms of hardware and capability. The best thing that Gnome, KDE, etc. can do is fork things into a tablet and non-tablet form. If nothing else, RHEL needs an intermediate that isn't going to remove too many features for the sake of a touch interface.
Old 9th August 2012, 12:51 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by vein View Post
To be honest, few tablets will be running any form of linux any time soon I think. Touch interfaces on desktops and laptops will be coming soon enough, but those have their own growing pains in terms of hardware and capability.
I am sincerely not trying to mess with your thoughts...

But where are all these touch interface desktops and devices suppose to come from
Are vendors really going to try and shovel out hardware (touch) with Windoze 8
What do these marketing geniuses think me and my fellow Joe and Jane Sixpack are going to be buying and using
Yeah, I know, everybody's chewing on an iShiney... but even apple is not yet killing the desktop.
It is all fun and games to have an app to show you which hand to wipe with... but at the end of the day, somebody has to do real work on a real machine (keyboard and mouse)
Old 9th August 2012, 01:57 AM
R3v0lut10nary Offline

linuxfirefox

I vow to never, ever use a touch interface as my main gig.

I'm trying to picture a cubicle farm full of people swiping at their screens, jerking their arms all about. It's not working for me.
Old 9th August 2012, 04:00 AM
vein Offline

windows_7firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQdave View Post
I am sincerely not trying to mess with your thoughts...

But where are all these touch interface desktops and devices suppose to come from
Are vendors really going to try and shovel out hardware (touch) with Windoze 8
What do these marketing geniuses think me and my fellow Joe and Jane Sixpack are going to be buying and using
Yeah, I know, everybody's chewing on an iShiney... but even apple is not yet killing the desktop.
It is all fun and games to have an app to show you which hand to wipe with... but at the end of the day, somebody has to do real work on a real machine (keyboard and mouse)
I understand, and think we are largely on the same page. Up until this point, I have liked Gnome Shell and its minimalist design. I also see where it can lose all usability though, and I'm hoping that this won't be the case. I prefer Fedora on my workstations, but I need a DE that can function in such a scenario.

As for where the tablets are coming from, it's hard to say. I don't know where they think they are coming from to be honest. I do know however that this is what they think. Against my better judgement, I'll provide this link so you can at least see the slides used at the recent GUADEC...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTE0ODg

EDIT: Further clarification to Phoronix's sensationalism:
https://afaikblog.wordpress.com/2012/08/07/gnome-os/

Last edited by vein; 9th August 2012 at 04:35 AM.
Old 9th August 2012, 05:19 AM
BBQdave Offline
The Ubu-Grillmaster

linuxubuntufirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by vein View Post
As for where the tablets are coming from, it's hard to say
I think that is what will be interesting. Acer (and I am guessing other vendors) are not too happy with Microsoft and Windows 8 - and Microsoft competing with it's own vendors. This definitely opens the door for other OS's on tablets. But I think the real opportunity will be with inexpensive desktop and notebook hardware. Not sure how Gnome 3 is going to position itself in that market? And I believe desktops and notebooks are going to be relevant for awhile longer
Old 9th August 2012, 06:04 AM
Velociraptor Offline

windows_xp_2003firefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr54 View Post
This is getting reminiscent of slashdot--where folks read an inflammatory summary and then answer the facts, as shown in the summary, without reading the original article being summarized.

No one is being forced to do anything. As I understand it, if you prefer a GUI tool to install and update your system, it does stuff to make it less likely to break things. I suspect (but don't know, because, not using a GUI tool, I haven't investigated it any further), that you can avoid it, even with GUI tools. For all who use yum to update their systems, it will be just the way it was.
YAAAAH!! I was sweating reading through this post

Tags
feature, fedora18, list, schedule