Code:
#     #  #######   #####
 #   #   #        #     #
  # #    #        #
   #     #####     #####
   #     #              #
   #     #        #     #
   #     #######   #####
OS: Fedora 20 x86_64 | Machine: HP Pavilion a6130n | CPU: AMD 64 X2 Dual-Core 5000+ 2.6GHz | RAM: 5GB PC5300 DDR2 | Disk: 400GB SATA | Video: ATI Radeon HD 4350 512MB | Sound: Realtek ALC888S | Ethernet: Realtek RTL8201N
Old 18th July 2012, 01:02 AM
Randall Bingham Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Fedora 17 64 any problems?

I have had the system Freeze several times. It usually happens when the machine has been idling for about an hour. I don't have any of the energy saving settings enabled. I have to press reset and reboot the computer. I am a newbie to Linux and am a bit dismayed. I thought that Linux machines were supposed to be able to run for hours without a reboot. No such luck with mine.
Old 18th July 2012, 05:10 AM
akupedia Offline

linuxchrome

Preupgrade............is the safest way according to me since if there is no possible way of error while doing that.........in case you are paranoid and the upgrade fails then you can always re-boot and the condition would be like the same as it was before.....

Note that you cannot jump directly from fc15 to fc 17............preupgrade would take you to fc 16 first make sure you have a descent connection..........

Regarding kernel panic............i advise keep trying, since the anaconda installer crashes sometime.....so keep the hope alive and rejoice.........

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Bingham View Post
I have had the system Freeze several times. It usually happens when the machine has been idling for about an hour. I don't have any of the energy saving settings enabled. I have to press reset and reboot the computer. I am a newbie to Linux and am a bit dismayed. I thought that Linux machines were supposed to be able to run for hours without a reboot. No such luck with mine.
How much physical RAM do you have and how much have you alloted swap area.

In an ideal world the swap space must be twice as much as the physical Ram in your computer.

Swap area is very important since when the computer is hibernating all the processes from the RAM are suspended and send to the SWAP space so the larger the swap the better for you..........in this way the system would not freeze at all.........

If you want enery settings then you can try the open source jupiter applet.
http://www.jupiterapplet.org/downloads.html

Old 18th July 2012, 10:09 AM
PompeyBlue Offline

windows_7ie

I moved to Fedora 17 64bit and everything seems to be running just peachy =D
Old 18th July 2012, 12:58 PM
Randall Bingham Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by akupedia View Post

How much physical RAM do you have and how much have you alloted swap area.

In an ideal world the swap space must be twice as much as the physical Ram in your computer.

Swap area is very important since when the computer is hibernating all the processes from the RAM are suspended and send to the SWAP space so the larger the swap the better for you..........in this way the system would not freeze at all.........

If you want enery settings then you can try the open source jupiter applet.
http://www.jupiterapplet.org/downloads.html

I have 3 gig of ram and 6 gig of swap.
Old 19th July 2012, 10:40 AM
akupedia Offline

linuxchrome

That's perfectly fine in the real world...........

Everything must run smoothly for you..............

---------- Post added at 03:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:08 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PompeyBlue View Post
I moved to Fedora 17 64bit and everything seems to be running just peachy =D
What do you mean by peachy, could you elaborate a bit more please......more info required.....
I'm also using the 64 bit version and things are running smoothly till now...
Old 27th July 2012, 04:08 PM
Vespa Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuppuswamy View Post
Though SElinux pose some problem when I installed unified driver for samsung scx-4300 after a little bit googling and tweaking unified dirver for the printer also work smoothly.
I have this issue too with the Samsung driver. It launches an annoying warning with each reboot, but does not affect printing at all. Honestly, I never even took the time to Google it. There was a flash issue where people looked like smurfs (a blue tint on every video), but there was an easy enough fix for that. It isn't a Fedora issue but it was Linux 64bit issue. Otherwise, I am a long time Fedora 64 bit user and everything works great on my desktop and two laptops.
Old 27th July 2012, 11:37 PM
Penguinclaw Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by akupedia View Post
What do you mean by peachy, could you elaborate a bit more please......more info required.....

Ah lost in translation issue here!! Peachy is slang for "great" or similar. Hope this helps

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

Oops forgot to add that x64 is running beautifully on my system. So I would recommend to those with more than 4GB ram although I understand that the pae version of the kernell can use more than 4GB of ram on a 32 bit install.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

So one could use this kernell instead and possibly not have so many proprietary driver issues. But I think that this pure x64 is better and as mentioned by others you can also use 32bit apps if necessary.
Old 28th July 2012, 09:43 AM
satanselbow Offline

linuxchrome
Wink Re: Fedora 17 64 any problems?

Most things work on most hardware setups...

On my hardware however the installer had a few brainfarts and when it finally did do it's thing I had a few too many problems with kernel panics and other stuff that I couldn't (be bothered to try and) fix...

... so I went back to a nice simple Arch installation again... until F18 comes along - probably

For the record over the last 5 years or so odd numbered Fedora versions tend to be a bit of a disaster for me
Old 28th July 2012, 11:19 AM
nibhalwa Offline

linuxfirefox

My KDE session sometimes hangs when I play YouTube videos through Firefox or Google Chrome on Fedora Core 17 64 Bit. Please help me resolving this issue.
Old 30th July 2012, 06:15 AM
akupedia Offline

linuxchrome

Just to inform you that it is Fedora 17 not Fedora core, the word core has been removed by fedora since the release of Fedora 7 (Fedora 6 was know to be Fedora core 6 and it ran beautifully on many 32 bit systems) approx 2007

Also please check that you have sufficient ram and also you've made a proper swap space(ie. twice the amount of physical ram in your system), since KDE consumes more ram and swap space.....

Also try and run only the youtube vids 1 at a time and keep the other windows closed so that there are pretty less chances of Fedora 17 getting hanged......

If problem still persists I'd request you to make a new thread in the Fedora forums !

Happy computing
Old 30th July 2012, 09:38 PM
Magickman Offline

unknownfirefox

I've been running Fedora 17 86_64 since it was released, with no problem save proprietary software. I use Easylife to install codecs and flash, Sun Java, and media players. zenity was the first problem. Erase Easylife, zenity went away. Next was today, two xine updates refused to install. Had a conflit with xine freeworld. Erased that, installed the updates, and all works fine. Fedora 17 is very fast, very stable, and very cool to run.
Old 16th August 2012, 07:43 PM
Scipione Offline

linuxfirefox

Quote:
Originally Posted by PompeyBlue View Post
Last time I looked at Fedora 64 bit there seemed to be quite a few problems. The flash plugin didn't work for firefox being the most notable one.

What is 17 64bit like? Do most things work?
I am using fedora 17 64 on an asus K55VD laptop. The speakers stops working after plug in the audio system. I got the problem aafter instaling adobe flash player. I think flash player use a different audio configuration which I was not enable to solve the problem in the audio configurations. I havee that audio device :

Audio device
/0/100/1b

product: Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller [8086:1E20]
vendor: Intel Corporation [8086]
bus info: pci@0000:00:1b.0
version: 04
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities:
Power Management,
Message Signalled Interrupts,
PCI Express,
bus mastering,
PCI capabilities listing
configuration:
driver: snd_hda_intel
latency: 0
resources:
irq: 47
memory: f7a10000-f7a13fff

Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:37 PM
Serophis Offline

linuxfirefox

Most things work okay on my end. I have an Asus N55SF with Fedora installed.

Only smallish problem I have noticed is that I can't have fullscreen up for too long in Firefox when playing flash videos (YouTube and the like) as the computer will inevitably freeze after a while. A bit strange I suppose. Since I have optimus technology on my laptop I am unable to install nvidia drivers, or rather unwilling to try installing it (with bumblebee, etc) as I'm afraid it will crash my system. And I don't have a backup solution quite ready yet (almost there though).
Old 20th September 2012, 05:45 PM
Magickman Offline

unknownfirefox

I have been running the 64 bit Fedora 17 since the day is was released, with a small hiatus caused by a faulty CRT monitor. I used Easylife to install all of the extras, and everything works fine. I even have the Adobe Reader plug in working so I can view PDFs in my browser. Sun Java works fine, as does the Flash plugin. Fedora is fast and stable, and in my opinion, on a 64 bit machine, the 64 bit version does run faster. I am using all cores of my AMD CPU.

Tags
fedora, problems