Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center

Go Back   FedoraForum.org > Fedora 19/20 > Servers & Networking
FedoraForum Search

Forgot Password? Join Us!

Servers & Networking Discuss any Fedora server problems and Networking issues such as dhcp, IP numbers, wlan, modems, etc.

Old 31st July 2012, 06:28 PM
RAWELSH Offline

linuxfirefox
Unable to print PDF or text documents from Windows machine to F17 printer

I've installed F17 (Fedora 17) 64-bit Linux on a machine and am using Samba version 3.6.6 to provide service to Windows machines on the local network.

I am using a Brother HL-1440 Laser printer connected to the Linux machine for print jobs both locally and from the network. I am able to print any type of document from the Linux console to this printer (PDF, text, output from web browser, office documents).

I am only able to print documents from Windows machines to the Linux printer using MS Office or a web browser (Internet Explorer or Firefox) or printing a test page from the Printer Properties configuration on the Windows machines. I am unable to print PDF documents (using Adobe Reader or Foxit Reader) or text documents (using MS Notepad, MS Wordpad, or PilotEdit Lite) to the same printer.

I have played with the configuration of the printer driver setup on the Linux server to see if this might impact results with no change. The last change I made was to download the Brother HL-1440 lpr driver and CUPS wrapper from the Brother web site and am currently using this configuration to drive the printer from this Linux machine. But all changes I have attempted yield the same results above.

Viewing the CUPS log files on the Linux machine, I see log entries for the local print jobs from the Linux console and the successful print jobs from the Windows machines. But, I cannot find entries for the failed print jobs from the Windows machines in any of the logs on the Linux server, and no error messages being reported on the Windows machines.

Any idea what I might be missing, or how I could chase this down?
Old 1st August 2012, 05:34 AM
Seve Offline
Retired Community Manager

linuxfirefox
Re: Unable to print PDF or text documents from Windows machine to F17 printer

Just a suggestion.

Since you are able to print specific applications / documents from win to linux, check the permissions of the pdf document and compare that to your word documents.

Or, try disabling SELinux, reboot and try printing with it disabled to see if that is stopping the pdf etc. prints?
Registered Linux User: #384977
.................................................. ............
See the Links below for more Help and those much wanted extras ... :)
Old 1st August 2012, 03:22 PM
droidhacker Offline

linuxfirefox
Re: Unable to print PDF or text documents from Windows machine to F17 printer

I would personally NOT use wine for printer sharing.
CUPS can share it directly (look up Internet Printing Protocol), and wondoze can work with that.

Tags
documents, f17, machine, pdf, print, printer, text, unable, windows