Fedora Linux Support Community & Resources Center
Old 3rd August 2012, 01:18 PM
linuxgirl01 Offline

windows_7firefox
wireless connection problem

Hello,

I am not sure I can ask redhat questions in this forum as I am new around here, I hope it is ok - if not, apologies in advance.

I built a redhat virtual machine and am having problems setting up the wireless network.

I am using redhat enterprise 6, vmware workstation 8 and bridged connection type. The computer is a lenovo laptop x220, host OS is windows 7 64 bit.

I configure the wireless connection that I have at home, I did it via the GUI (system -> preferences -> network connections). I entered the encryption, the password, etc (did not enter mac address as i wasnt quite sure which mac i was supposed to enter, if at all).

When I restart the network connections,
using /etc/init.d/network restart, I get: Error:No suitable device found.

I have another vm with ubuntu and it works fine with the wireless pretty much "out of the box" - since I am quite new with redhat, I dont even know what to look for.

Can you help me troubleshoot this problem?

Thanks in advance
Old 3rd August 2012, 04:09 PM
smr54 Online

linuxopera
Re: wireless connection problem

Ok, actually, this should go into Linux Chat, (which is for all non-Fedora, including RH, CentOS, and the like). No big deal, a moderator will move it when they come across it.

RH will be using older versions of things, including NetworkManager, the GUI network configuration tool. For what it's worth, I have a little guide to determining if the trouble is NetworkManager or the hardware not being properly recognized at http://home.roadrunner.com/~computer.../wireless.html

However, the real quick thing to do would be to run

ifconfig wlan0

and see if it shows something or just shows device not found.

Now, if it shows device not found, there are probably workarounds, but not having VMware workstation, I'm not sure of the exact procedure. I would think that it may be possible, if you just set up the host's wireless as the ethernet card to tell the VM that it's a wired connection, but that's just a guess on my part.
Old 3rd August 2012, 05:03 PM
glennzo Online
Un-Retired Administrator

windows_xp_2003firefox

Moved to Linux Chat.

Welcome to the forum linuxgirl01.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Laptop: Just a couple of old single core units
Desktop: BioStar MCP6PB M2+ / AMD Phenom 9750 Quad Core / 4GB / Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 240GB SATA 3.0 / 1TB SATA / EVGA GeForce 8400 GS 1GB
Old 4th August 2012, 07:22 PM
linuxgirl01 Offline

windows_7firefox

Hello,

Thanks glennzo for the welcome and for moving my post into the correct section - and thanks a lot to smr54 for the answer!

I ran the ifconfig wlan0 and indeed it shows device not found. I didn't read the guide you offered, but I am guessing that since my answer is "device not found", then the guide won't offer a solution for that, am I correct?

You mentioned that there might be a workaround for this, do you think I should look for it in vmware forums? Or somewhere here in these forums? I am googling it, but not finding anything

Thanks a lot again!

Old 4th August 2012, 07:52 PM
smr54 Online

linuxchrome

Correct about my guide not being helpful.

I think what I would try first would be to (I'm assuming you can do this in VMware workstation) have the Fedora guest look at the host's wireless connection as wired. That is, set the network to eth0 rather than wlan0..

I don't know if this is possible in VMware Workstation. If it's not, then I would boot up the Ubuntu guest, use the lspci command to see how it see the wireless card (usually in the last three lines or so) and then google that with Fedora--for example, if the last few lines of Ubuntu's lspci show a Broadcom card, then google that card model with Fedora.
Old 4th August 2012, 10:08 PM
linuxgirl01 Offline

windows_7firefox

ok, thanks, i will try it and let you know how it goes :-)

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

update: I checked the ubuntu config, it is set to NAT and eth0, not wan0. I tried to do the same on redhat and it didnt work, it tells me: Bringing up interface eth0: Error: Connection activation failed: Device not managed by NetworkManager.

The result of lspci is (first few lines followed by last few lines):

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 01)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 01)
00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 08)
00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)
00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corporation 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 08)
00:07.7 System peripheral: VMware Virtual Machine Communication Interface (rev 10)
00:0f.0 VGA compatible controller: VMware SVGA II Adapter
00:10.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c1030 PCI-X Fusion-MPT Dual Ultra320 SCSI (rev 01)
02:00.0 USB Controller: VMware USB1.1 UHCI Controller
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82545EM Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 01)
02:02.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1371 [AudioPCI-97] (rev 02)
02:03.0 USB Controller: VMware USB2 EHCI Controller

I searched it with redhat related keywords in google, but nothing yet.

---------- Post added at 09:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Problem solved!

I tried the suggestion from this thread: http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=247518

It solved the issue - so it was a conflict between network manage and network...learned something new :-)

Tags
connection, problem, wireless